• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Pitch Men

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
had to drop knight in the area due to possible mental health problems after 3 episodes...the problem may be that i am a huge football fan(my team just won the championship! ACE!) and therefore can only digest so much nonsense when it comes to that sport.
i have no problem when it's depicted a little over the top but these almost supernatural elements are flat out way too much to take.

still have to complete rinne. it really pissed me off once or twice in almost every episode but i think i read in a review that the season's ending is actually supposed to be quite good. they have to do something about these ridiculous bishonen antagonists though. kill them or anything, i don't care, but they're unbearable.

rozen maiden looks like something i will never ever watch. ever.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote
I definitely suggest watching Rozen Maiden. It's such a fun, great series with a honest look in the character's emotions of what these dolls go through with Jun.
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
I don't think I'll end up watching any of these series. The only one I would normally consider is the soccer one and that wasn't very good.

As for the shelves, I always thought it's kinda creepy to have those little sex models. Maybe it's creepy that I have a ton of gundam models though...
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I watched a few episodes on Anime Network while my only knowledge of the show was from the old Geneon previews where they ran the opening credits. It reached "must buy" status for me when they played the "stairs" episode and I didn't regret my purchase after watching both seasons.

You mean where they build the fort at the top of the stairs? Man, that was like the best episode of the entire franchise. Laughing
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

Erin wrote:
It's awfully jarring to watch. Am I the only person who's bothered by this sort of thing?

Even in titles like the Higurashi series, which had perhaps the most radical and intentional shifts in tone between the bloodiest of tragedies and the silliest of antics throughout the majority of its narrative, I felt that having such a contrast was entirely warranted and there were plenty of circumstances that justified it.

Conceptually speaking, the main reason why I am not too bothered by those and other tonal shifts is because most of the time they tend to happen after the crisis or conflict of the day has already been resolved, either during an earlier scene or at the end of the previous episode, or they are just meant to make the audience develop a false sense of security right before surprising them with another development.

Once again, I'd say Higurashi is a pretty good example of the above

I don't know that it's fair to compare Lagrange to Higurashi. Higurashi was intentionally a shock show of the horror genre. Pretty much the whole purpose of each episodes in Higurashi is to set up the audience into believing that it is some kind of Moe show involving fun-loving school children who just like to play wacky games, then shock you with scenes of horrific murders and grotesque torture scenes towards the end of each episode. The show consistently takes the essence of innocence and turns it into something murderously insane.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
JuniorMintKiss wrote:
I really like the SpongeBob DVDs thrown in there. Very Happy And what an impressive figure collection!

It's cool seeing pics from another hardcore figure collector.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Moe: Moe is the eye of the beholder and I didn't see it as moe.

Seeing as Suiseiseki won the Saimoe title in 2006, I'd say enough people thought otherwise.

I am aware of those contests and I know which characters were selected and which ones weren't for those years. In a culture where Infinite Stratos is considered a high point in a low genre and Kanon(2006) isn't, nothing surprises me about their tastes.

In other words, enough Japanese people thought otherwise. Have you seen what these people like? It's creepy...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
For lagrange mech designs; did anyone know that they were actually commissioned and done by the design team of Nissan Motors, Japan who also sponsored this anime? Nissan are also implimenting some of the design concepts into their new models as well. This is the first time anywhere in the world that such a colaboration has come together for an anime, but not the last. Wink
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
nightjuan wrote:

Erin wrote:
It's awfully jarring to watch. Am I the only person who's bothered by this sort of thing?

Even in titles like the Higurashi series, which had perhaps the most radical and intentional shifts in tone between the bloodiest of tragedies and the silliest of antics throughout the majority of its narrative, I felt that having such a contrast was entirely warranted and there were plenty of circumstances that justified it.

Conceptually speaking, the main reason why I am not too bothered by those and other tonal shifts is because most of the time they tend to happen after the crisis or conflict of the day has already been resolved, either during an earlier scene or at the end of the previous episode, or they are just meant to make the audience develop a false sense of security right before surprising them with another development.

Once again, I'd say Higurashi is a pretty good example of the above

I don't know that it's fair to compare Lagrange to Higurashi. Higurashi was intentionally a shock show of the horror genre. Pretty much the whole purpose of each episodes in Higurashi is to set up the audience into believing that it is some kind of Moe show involving fun-loving school children who just like to play wacky games, then shock you with scenes of horrific murders and grotesque torture scenes towards the end of each episode. The show consistently takes the essence of innocence and turns it into something murderously insane.

That's only if you seen season one of higurashi, there is a purpose for the re-sets and murders but again spoilers...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I don't know that it's fair to compare Lagrange to Higurashi.

Sounds like you may have misunderstood my point. I was merely using Higurashi as an example of extreme tonal shifts, period, not for the sake of any other comparison in terms of content or genre. Even without watching Lagrange, which is a fact I've openly stated, it clearly belongs to a different fictional genre, but this makes little or no difference. My argument is not related to defending the show, in and of itself, which is basically impossible without having watched it. The underlying idea is simply that shifts in tone aren't necessarily a bad thing in anime.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
Oh my god, that's quite a figure collection Shocked I'm jealous!
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
The underlying idea is simply that shifts in tone aren't necessarily a bad thing in anime.

Agreed, but I don't think Erin was saying that all shifts in tone in anime was bad just that it was not working for her in Lagrange. I did not care for it either (and I like Higurashi just fine), but we are probably the minority as it didn't seem to bother too many people who have posted.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

You haven't actually watched Higurashi, have you?

As for Lagrange, the specific example cited in the article was done to deliberately contrast Muginami's childhood with how she is now. I don't really see how this is a controversial bit of storytelling.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

You haven't actually watched Higurashi, have you?

As for Lagrange, the specific example cited in the article was done to deliberately contrast Muginami's childhood with how she is now. I don't really see how this is a controversial bit of storytelling.

Yes I have watched Higurashi. I also own the box set of season 1. Is there a specific reason you asked?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Yes I have watched Higurashi. I also own the box set of season 1. Is there a specific reason you asked?

It just feels like "Higurashi described by someone who's only heard descriptions of Higurashi"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4