• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Powerpuff Girls, Aya Hirano Team Up for Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
What bogus claim? Our club's empirical evidence are actually a few PPG "aficionados" who collect pretty much everything PPG-related have always asked their J-pals and otaku to get PPG-related stuff for them in Japan, including PPG-Z, particularly in comikets and bookstores. Compared to well-known manga, they've always have difficult time finding them since the market for them aren't that big, though there was a nice uptick for both when PPG-Z was airing of course. But now years later, it's still a bit hard to find PPG stuff but they could still find them; meanwhile, those handful otaku had moved on from PPG-Z - hardly nobody but nobody ever talks about it anymore, let alone find stuff for it (while J-animation fans still talk about PPG; to them PPG-Z was just a flash in the pan).

You switched arguments. You originally said it had 'more art', but now you're saying... this. Which is still un-provable since it's all cherry picking and selective perception.

Same thing with calling it a 'flash in the pan'. Let's just assume you are right for a second. That doesn't mean they suddenly hate it or don't care about it, it's just with 50 shows a season it's not really productive to obsess over one from years ago. PPG fans might still talk about only because not as many American cartoons come out, or ones they care about (if they liked PPG because it had the rare female leads, then their list of cartoons they like is very short, so of course they'll talk about the handful of ones that feature that more) That doesn't mean PPG has a more dedicated fan-base, though. There's too many variables and differences in the the market to use that as evidence.

(Though for the record, the last Comiket I went to last year still had PPGZ stuff. So, yeah... )

Quote:
For what the original tried to do, it did better than what PPG-Z tried to do - there's already tons of better anime that already did before what PPG-Z was trying

This is a bit unfair. You're basically saying PPG is better because cartoons at the time it was on were bad at what it was doing (Female superheroes?) so that makes it more memorable because it was a shining jewel in a sea of garbage, while PPGZ was surrounded by equal or better shows so that makes it bad. Even if it was just as good, just the fact it's no longer unique or the stand-out show of that genre makes it bad. You can't judge a show based on the quality of environment it's in, especially between mediums.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
In the original series, Sedusa disguised herself as another woman to manipulate the Professor in a (presumed) sexual way to move in to the PPG's house, and take advantage of the situation. In another episode, she kidnapped and dressed up as Ms. Bellum, and sedused the Mayor on a daily basis so she could be excused and cause trouble. The narrator also referred to her as being "naughty". You need to watch more PPG. You don't know what you're missing.

Using the word "presumed" kind of ruins your argument when you just admit it's never shown or implied.

And I've seen the show, thanks. I used to watch it when I was younger.

Quote:
PPG just might have more continuity than PPGZ

I think you meant the opposite...?

As for the connection between the villains., actually it's revealed midway through Z that all the villains (sans Rowdyruff Boys) are a result of Him and the original Chakichaki Girls. All the villains were hit with the demonic energy from Him that was sealed away hundreds of years ago and feed off their negativity and such. Sakurako, a self-conscious girl with terrible self-esteem gets those insecurities fed upon and that's why she becomes Sedusa who's the opposite of those feelings. Himeko, who's neglected by her parents in favor of her more smarter, beautiful, and successful older sister becomes the spoiled brat Princess and so forth. Eventually enough negative energy is released into the world it resurrects his corpse which was sealed away in the crypt a Shinto Shrine and he debuts as a villain in the show half-way through where he becomes the main villain up to the final episode when he's finally defeated in an all out war.

Meanwhile, I don't think any of the villains ever actually got a conclusion or were finally defeated in the original. Did it ever get a proper final episode? I stopped watching before the movie came out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3