• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Hiiro Tale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Hah! I knew you would love Hisoka eventually! Everyone does!

I still think Hisoka is a creep Razz An interesting creep and definitely a good antagonist, but a creep nonetheless...
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Let it be known that Hisoka might be one of the greatest villains of all time.

A-flipping-men to that.

Quote:
Having not seen the original Saki series, I don't know if mahjong is better explained there

What I saw of it (two-and-a-bit episodes, admittedly) did not in any way. They just threw tiles around, glowed a bit and shouted meaningless terminology. And then I got bored.

So, episodes 1-3 of Sankarea being very well received, eh? I predict that this will not last.

I read the manga of Medaka Box up to and quite a bit past the fabled 'genre shift'. It wasn't worth it. If anything, it possibly actually got worse.
moichispa

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I got redirected to the main article again when I click on the blog of Enoshima places at Tsuritama review Sad
nottimkai

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Glad you're feeling better Bamboo, and a great review as usual.

I have already mentioned this in other threads. This will be the last time, since I don't want to become obnoxious about this.

I just can't agree with your views on Medaka Box. The vibe I have gotten and keep getting from this show is, under the fluff of the surface story lies a really demented worldview that appeals to me greatly. It is much more subtle than "The world is darkness" *rape pillage destroy kill*, though. So subtle in fact that I might even be imagining it. But when I watch this show, the characters entire reason for being is just really grim. "I will smile for one yen and I will die for one yen" from the last couple episodes; the male lead, in so many ways; Medaka's perfection being able to subsume free will (I will rehabilitate you EVEN IF YOU DON'T WANT IT) ...

Who knows, maybe I'm reaching. But I can't find this show boring, I don't see why people think it is, and the underlying world view (to me) is so demented that the show is endearing.

(full disclosure - I'm coming out of a burnout period)

Last edited by nottimkai on Wed May 23, 2012 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Bob from Accounting wrote:

What I saw of it (two-and-a-bit episodes, admittedly) did not in any way. They just threw tiles around, glowed a bit and shouted meaningless terminology. And then I got bored.

The Mahjong is rather irrelevant, it could be almost any game.

The point is the interaction between the girls, and their relationships.

I do assume no one is going to scream at me for suggesting that there may be lesbians in this show, right?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
StormSky92 wrote:
Hopefully he starts Hyouka. I love that show. It's really good so far.

Hyouka is not streaming, thus will not be covered.

How is this a hard concept?

I guess some people want Bamboo to ILLEGALLY stream Hyouka.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm still disappointed to not see Nyarko here... thats my 2nd favorite show of the season after Fate/Zero.

Other then that, I'm not too surprised at the listings knowing Bamboos typical tastes... for me it would be:

1. Fate/Zero
2. Nyarko-San
3. Kore wa Zombie 2
4. Sankarea
5. Acchi Kochi

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Bob from Accounting wrote:

The Mahjong is rather irrelevant, it could be almost any game.

The point is the interaction between the girls, and their relationships.

Personally, as a fan of yuri and cute girl shows, I was turned off by all the mahjong stuff confusing me and I dropped it a few episodes in. Theres little point watching a show where I get all confused and frustrated by having no idea whats going on in the "vital" moments.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
This season has had a lot of good shows that are worth watching, but so far nothing has been great enough to be a new favorite. So far, the one's I've enjoyed the most are Sankarea, Zetman, and Jormungand. Sankarea is the only one with the potential to become a favorite because I love the balance of dark and funny. My friend has been trying to get me into superheros and Young Justice and Zetman makes a good transition show into American comics. It's got lots of flaws, but I've been enjoying it nonetheless. Jormungand has been the show that lets me turn off my brain and enjoy all the crazies with guns. Occasionally, it will make me turn my brain back on and I'll be very happy if it turns out deeper than it started out being, but I'll also be fine with it staying like it is. It helps that I LOVE the music and Taku Iwasaki though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I see Upotte making American fans want to buy firearms before figures. It already has done that, or at the very least made people more curious about firearms and gun culture. I've been looking into local ranges, and it seems like it could be a fun time. As for Japanese merchandise, I really doubt you'll see any good scaled PVCs, if anything at all. Kanokon got some, LVB didn't; it all depends on the popularity of the series, not the fact that it simply has cute girls in it. I know you people are critical of the shows, but it's easy to tell you're not figure collectors aside from casually at a convention. Those who follow preorders, sculpts, figure-release shows like WonFes, and haunt MyFigureCollection know the dynamics much better, and they can tell you that unpopular anime don't get merchandise. Like I said in the other thread, Fate/Zero is going to barrage you with more figures and figmas than Upotte ever will. Ever. Yet neither you nor any of the other reviewers will ever acknowledge that, because of the disparity in the writing and execution for the two shows. I don't see "this is made to sell figures" as a legitimate criticism when it has no basis in reality.

Glad you're enjoying MGX, though. Dusk Maiden has been all over the place, and that's how the manga is too, but the anime has been skipping a whole ton of material to head to a possible original end.

As for "zomg they made the anime look just like the place it's based on", isn't that kind of cheap? Now you can just trace instead of having to be inventive. It doesn't take much to snap a few thousand photos for reference when it's going to save a animators a whole ton of time.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Still haven't caught up on everything unfortunately (damned life + work) but where I'm up to (I'm watching pretty much alphabetically):

Top picks
Fate/Zero: I'll be watching to the end
Mouretsu Pirates: Still one of my top shows - the latest (Jenny) arc was a big improvement over the previous one

Watching
Accel World: Enjoying a lot
Acchi Kochi: Fun, without being in the least bit demanding
Haiyore! Nyarlko/Nyarko-san: Fun, stupid, I find I laugh out loud quite often. BTW I agree with the fansubbers who translate it as "Nyarlko" - that's definitely how it sounds to me.
Hyouka: Enjoying a lot
Hunter x Hunter: Fun
Jormungand: Still enjoying this quite a bit - it's not exactly brilliant, but there's some interesting stuff there
Kore wa Zombie desu ka? Of the Dead: I've enjoyed this right from the start. The current season has been a little slow at times, but it looks like it's about to pick up.
Kuromajyo-san ga Tooru: Fun little short
Medaka Box: Still watching, but it needs to pick up soon
Natsu-iro Kiseki: Cute girls doing cute things, but without being boring - still watching
Nazo no Kanojo X: I find it intriguing, especially Urabe's unfamiliarity with friendship and interaction with her peers - definitely still watching
Sankarea: I'm very interested to see where they go with this (have avoided reading the manga). Still strongly dislike Chihiro's hair though.
Yurumate 3Dei: It's silly, but for 3 minutes ...

Haven't caught up yet
Space Brothers: I suspect this will end up near the top for me
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia: Based on the manga and first 2 episodes this could also be in the top
Upotte: Quite liked the first 2 episodes, could go either way
Zetman: First 2 episodes were ... okay - this needs to pick up

Stalled
Lupin III - The Woman Named Fujiko Mine: It just didn't grab me the way I'd hoped and I didn't feel any incentive to watch the third episode
Tsuritama: Probably dropped too - started watching the third episode and just didn't want to.

Dropped
Hiiro no Kakera: Dropped almost immediately after starting the third episode
Phi Brain: Not watching the second season
Saki: Dropped after 2 episodes - cute girls doing cute things but being very boring about it (c.f. Natsu-iro Kiseki)
Sengoku Collection: I sat through 3 episodes of this (how???) but it didn't improve over bottom-feeding drek
Shining Hearts ~ Shiwase no Pan: I'd totally forgotten this even existed - I dropped it after the first episode. Easily the most boring show I've seen in a long long time.

Never started for whatever reason
Kids on the Slope
Polar Bear Cafe
Eureka 7 AO
Folktales from Japan
Saint Seiya Omega
Rock Lea and his Ninja Pals

Last edited by tcdelaney on Wed May 23, 2012 10:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
It is unfortunate that Saki-Achiga Hen didn't live up to the expectations of the original Saki fans. The Achiga team is just not as exciting to watch as Kiyosumi, because only the two sisters have some sort of "unorthodox" style of play, while the rest of the players are just plain boring.

The other reason why Saki-Achiga Hen failed (so far) is because Achiga is getting their ass kicked, and the way the animation shows that is it simply says "they got their ass kicked" as supposed to something more specific and epic. What I mean is that they skip over so much of the fight that they only let us know of the general outcome, rather than the letting us comprehend how the result came to be.

When I read the first chapter of this manga, because of the tension it built up I was so excited for this anime, but now I just wish we had a straight-up adaption of Ritz's main Saki manga. Right now I am still watching this just for the sake of knowing how it is going to end, but I definitely would have dropped this LONG AGO if I was just some n00b who doesn't know how to play mahjong, or didn't watch the original Saki.

ALSO ON A SIDE NOTE. Why did the status for Fate/Zero go down? The way Bamboo talked about Fate/Zero this week kind of left me with the impression that Bamboo is enjoying this.
Botan24

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for another wonderful column Bamboo! Glad you are feeling better.

Still watching:
Kids on the Slope
tsuritama (I've gotta learn the steps to the Enoshima dance)
Space Brothers
Lupin the III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
*leftover from winter* Bodacious Space Pirates

Dropped:
Mysterious Girlfriend X - While it's cute and all watching Urabe and Akira dance around the "awkward" days of youth, I'm not particularly invested in either character enough to care. While Urabe lends a very mysterious air about her (and I still love, love her VA), I can't relate to that attitude very well. And Akira is nothing more than the bumbling guy who eventually wants to get laid. Ah, yes. To be young again! I totally agree with Bamboo, I would not relive those days ever. In the show's defense, I rather liked the "beach" episode. I thought Urabe's spoiler[scissor tan line] was very cool, and (somehow) extremely sexy. Embarassed
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Petrea Mitchell wrote:

Just recall that they only started with 2 shows in 2008, and only (AFAIK) apply to shows from Japan, mainly for customers in the English-speaking world, which means the vast majority of the human race hasn't even heard about this way of doing things yet. Does it seem more comprehensible in that light?

Not particularly, since its essentially the same concept as watching TV, especially with the rise of DVR and the like.

Its a show that airs week-by-week. This is not a new concept, to anyone.

People approach watching a boxset very differently than they approach watching something week-by-week. I feel the same way about TV as I do about simulcasts. I am much more likely to marathon something already on DVD-- that's already finished-- than I am to try to catch up to something that's still airing. But that's just me. And this goes for anime AND American TV.

Then again, I've also always thought it was weird for people to recommend TV shows to me that have already aired more than a season. When someone says, "You should watch Lost!" I think it's absolutely bonkers that they'd recommend that I watch something that's six seasons long.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:

ALSO ON A SIDE NOTE. Why did the status for Fate/Zero go down? The way Bamboo talked about Fate/Zero this week kind of left me with the impression that Bamboo is enjoying this.

I am enjoying it. I'm just really, really, really enjoying Polar Bear Cafe. I think it's surprisingly hilarious, and it's gotten much better since the first few episodes.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
moichispa wrote:
I got redirected to the main article again when I click on the blog of Enoshima places at Tsuritama review Sad

Oops! Fixed! Thanks for pointing that out!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7