• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live at Anime Expo 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

I love the fact that the ANNCast always has one crazy dude, and this time we get the guy who expects Zac to mock a bunch of people getting fired. As Zac and Justin said, a lot of people are going to get a lot less work because of this.

That dude also cut in line to ask his "question". I was actually the guy in the motion cat ears that went after him. That was actually pretty interesting to watch, and it was cool to finally put a face to the voice behind Zac and Justin. Now I don't have to picture Zac as Skeletor, and Justin as a bitter old man shaking his fist at the world.

I sat next to him, I was the Nami cosplayer who got the first question (and for some reason can't sound erudite in person), and he was grumpily huffing about his five-hour energy and how he wanted something better, I pointed out that they give out whatever, and hey I got Dragonball Z coasters. Incidentally he left his energy on the seat afterwards, and I got it. Anime smile

So he got pissed off that Zac gave him a crappy gift and not that Zac and Justin pointed how self centered he was to cheer a company going under?

Chagen46 wrote:
Zac, I have to say....I disagree with your statement on fighting games...I follow the scene, and part of the wide rift between Street Fighter players and "Anime fighter" players is that SF is commonly looked down upon for not being as overly complex and multi-layered as games like Melty Blood, Blazblue, and Arcana Heart.

Just look at something like this...you could never have matches this intense in SF

Yeah I see SF matches that intense at Evo all the time
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
So he got pissed off that Zac gave him a crappy gift and not that Zac and Justin pointed how self centered he was to cheer a company going under?

I don't think it's self-centered if he's looking out for the good of anime. No one wants their anime ruined by 4Kids.

RyanSaotome wrote:
I wasn't talking about one specific person. There's a lot of movies that different people care about.

Indeed. Just watching the annual Detective Conan, Shin-chan, Doraemon, Naruto, Precure, and Pocket Monsters movies is enough to bump it up to 6 already.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Zac, I have to say....I disagree with your statement on fighting games...I follow the scene, and part of the wide rift between Street Fighter players and "Anime fighter" players is that SF is commonly looked down upon for not being as overly complex and multi-layered as games like Melty Blood, Blazblue, and Arcana Heart.

Just look at something like this...you could never have matches this intense in SF

SF matches can be just as intense, but SF isn't about pulling off huge combos and has a different meta game than Blazblue.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I'm watching this show right now as I type this, and Zac and Justin, you two are just hilarious.

I hope that girl who asked about KnJ wasn't serious...

if she was... well then uhhh nvm >_>

Barbobot wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

SF matches can be just as intense, but SF isn't about pulling off huge combos and has a different meta game than Blazblue.

Nope street fighter from personal experience is about spamming the same moves over and over again until the opponents health bar is gone. I grew with snes/genesis/psx/saturn fighters so I actually held my own tournaments with the games I did own... I miss those days Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
I'm watching this show right now as I type this, and Zac and Justin, you two are just hilarious.

I hope that girl who asked about KnJ wasn't serious...

if she was... well then uhhh nvm >_>

She wasn't, she was laughing and clearly trolling.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
Without 4kids I would probably not be as into anime as I am now, no pokemon means no getting interested and watching G Gundam. Also I think 4kids made Yugioh GX into a watchable show by basically making it a comedy it by making it so wacky it was good. at least in an enjoyably dumb kind of way.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
Zac really used Dr Sbaitso for the disclaimer... Razz Fun memories.

Enjoyed the podcast. Some day I'll have to go to an anime con, haven't managed it so far.

If I had been there, I'd have a question for Justin: if you had realized that Now and Then, Here and There actually was a 90's series, how would if have ranked in your top 10?
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
I don't know if the 'it doesn't look so great now' feeling about Rurouni Kenshin has more to do with the viewer's age rather than the show not aging well. I personally think it is a classic, but then again, I like fight / tournament stories.

Then again, my liking of Rurouni Kenshin was due to the manga, and I don't think anyone can argue that Nobuhiro Watsuki was in his top form when he illustrated RuroKen.
Mr. Zebra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
I haven't been listening and reading long here, but from what little I have been it seems to me the people that work at this site are kind of snobs. They're always trashing anything fanservice-y acting like anyone that likes that stuff is a creepy pathetic loser. It just seems really petty. It's totally fine to not to like fanservice-y anime, but don't act like you're better than people that do like that stuff. Liking stuff that's considered "high-brow" does not make you a better or smarter person, and your smug attitudes do nothing but highlight an underlying insecurity.

I’m not saying you can’t say anything bad about shows you don’t like, just keep your “high-brow/low-brow” superiority complex about the fans out of it. Just saying.

(I hope I don't get banned for this.)
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
Mr. Zebra wrote:
I haven't been listening and reading long here, but from what little I have been it seems to me the people that work at this site are kind of snobs. They're always trashing anything fanservice-y acting like anyone that likes that stuff is a creepy pathetic loser. It just seems really petty. It's totally fine to not to like fanservice-y anime, but don't act like you're better than people that do like that stuff. Liking stuff that's considered "high-brow" does not make you a better or smarter person, and your smug attitudes do nothing but highlight an underlying insecurity.

I’m not saying you can’t say anything bad about shows you don’t like, just keep your “high-brow/low-brow” superiority complex about the fans out of it. Just saying.

If they want to get all elitist about it, thats fine... but the fact comes down to that people who like this stuff are still enjoying anime more since we get lots of anime made for us, while the elitists get very few anime series made. They can complain all they want about this stuff being made and make fun of the people who watch it, but it won't change a thing. I think we win out in the end... I'd hate to only have 2 or 3 anime interest me a season.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I don't know if the 'it doesn't look so great now' feeling about Rurouni Kenshin has more to do with the viewer's age rather than the show not aging well. I personally think it is a classic, but then again, I like fight / tournament stories.

Then again, my liking of Rurouni Kenshin was due to the manga, and I don't think anyone can argue that Nobuhiro Watsuki was in his top form when he illustrated RuroKen.

I think theres a huge difference in quality between the manga and anime. Anime adaptations tend to work best when the director gets what made the manga work, and Furuhashi never did. Thats why whenever he did his own thing the quality and tone of the series changed. This can easily be seen by the recent Kenshin anime which try to remove the over the top action, flashy attacks for short battles, and Shishio having sex.

Like most shonen shows after a while the pace slows to a crawl in Kenshin as the director tries to stall until the mangaka makes more manga.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Twelve Kingdoms/Emma director is Tsuneo Kobayashi. He is working on Polar Bear Cafe currently, which I think is pretty good.
Mr. Zebra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If they want to get all elitist about it, thats fine... but the fact comes down to that people who like this stuff are still enjoying anime more since we get lots of anime made for us, while the elitists get very few anime series made.

Yeah, I think it's great that you guys are getting a lot of what you enjoy.

For me, I actually am only a fan of a couple anime series a season because my tastes really are more in-line with the people that work for the site, but I don't have an elitist attitude about it. I don't think my tastes make me superior. Everyone should be allowed to enjoy what they enjoy without getting harrassed about it.

Last edited by Mr. Zebra on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:53 am; edited 2 times in total
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Mr. Zebra wrote:

If they want to get all elitist about it, thats fine... but the fact comes down to that people who like this stuff are still enjoying anime more since we get lots of anime made for us, while the elitists get very few anime series made. They can complain all they want about this stuff being made and make fun of the people who watch it, but it won't change a thing. I think we win out in the end... I'd hate to only have 2 or 3 anime interest me a season.
I guess you win re: quantity but I guess I prefer to "lose" if it means I don't have to watch all that stuff. Happily, manga & dramas have picked up anime's slack and overexceeded, frankly. All that results is that my money doesn't enter the anime industry nearly as much as it used to. Oh well.

Edit, upon further listening: Oh Lord, "bonding over their love of jizz" *dies*

Also, you (Zac & Justin) are both awesome. Though I have no clue as to what you look like (well except Zac who is still Howl to me) your voices are indelibly ingrained in my brain.

Edit 2: I finally bought the New Division "Bucharest" mp3 via Amazon (btw the hyperlink in the band's name doesn't go anywhere!) and besides being way longer than I expected (12+ minutes!) I can't help but think that's Zac singing. I know it's not [right?] but it's close enough that it's all I can hear.

Edit 3: Oh, that's why the track is so long! I really like the hidden track too. Paper bunnies!

Edit 4: OMG, this whole EP is good! Why didn't you promote this more on the show? (I know, not really topical but still...) I'm so buying this.

Last edited by poonk on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:57 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
dat elitist stuff

perfectly happy with how it is. i rarely have enough time to follow everything i want to on a weekly basis. if it was more, i don't know if i'd be able to.
also, i don't have actually have to try hard to find some aspect about the next generic giant boobs- or helpless girls-show that i can like. i just don't care. there's plenty i can do, when i don't watch anime. for example, think about.

but then again, i guess i'm one of these snobs.

another funny thing: as i recall it, no person has ever been actively hindered in watching fanservice show just by reading on this site. i could, however, be wrong but i thought i might just give a provocative theory a shot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8