• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Anime Network in Trouble?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:26 am Reply with quote
Comcast knows what's best for you. Evidence: G4

Yes, that was sarcasm. Anyone who was a fan of TechTV knows exactly what Comcast is trying to do here. If there's a group of people I want absolutely nothing to do with anime in choosing what gets shown and how it gets marketed, it is Comcast.

G4TechTV still gives me nightmares.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:55 am Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:

Yes, that was sarcasm. Anyone who was a fan of TechTV knows exactly what Comcast is trying to do here. If there's a group of people I want absolutely nothing to do with anime in choosing what gets shown and how it gets marketed, it is Comcast.

I love you. Embarassed

Seriously though, G4's the prime example of the sort of stunts Comcast'd pull. Poor programming choices, unlikable hosts trying way to hard to be "omg 2 kewl kidz," a very limited selection, and I'm sure they'd pull that "random speeding up & slowing down of the audio track" crap they use on Anime Unleashed, too (I remember back when it was just TechTV, it didn't damage my ears to watch AU...now the bizarre tempo shifts in the music cause bloody vertigo or some sort...).

I'd go with ADV. They know anime; Comcast just likes to pretend they know these things and commit way too much effort into being "cool" and "hip" to cover up for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
coachkaveman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:03 am Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
It doesn't matter if ADV was the first at all. What matters is what selection you get and what YOU want to see, not what ADV tells you you want or what you think you want out of some nonsense notion of "brand loyalty".

If it's all CPM titles on Comcast's service then yeah, go with TAN. One can only take so much Roujin Z and TANOD has a good selection.

Just don't go to bat for ADV because they told you to, or because they were "the first" (Coke came before Pepsi, so what, Coke is automatically better and Pepsi should just shut down? Competition is HEALTHY and a vital part of capitalism, folks), support them because they give you what you want. If they don't, don't help them. What amazes me is how people are still clinging to this concept that ADV is some kind of little tiny company that NEEDS fan support; they're a colossal video distributor, motivated entirely by money. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't fall for this mom-and-pop-help-us-loyal-otaku-army BS. This is like if Sony said "Oh no, Microsoft is making an Xbox! All you Sony fans, we need your help, call Microsoft and tell them to stop!". The only one to benefit from this is Sony; when companies compete with eachother, you win.

You my friend is what many on the street would call a "hater". ADV can nowhere be compared to Microsoft or Sony, if that were so they would already have anime in everyones house. ADV is a large company by Anime standards but not a billion dollar company yet and they still need fan support and they do listen to thier fans. Have you ever been to an anime convention where ADV was present?. I have met and been to many ADV panels and all I ever see and hear is how they support fans because they are fans and getting the network on air has been thier objective since they started. If I were to hate on someone it would be comcast because if they burn thier bridge with ADV films, I bet ADV would never license any of thier titles for Comcast to show and as everyone knows Comcast only cares about the money and not the fans. (see TechTV)

IMHO,

K
KarriaChinoRyu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:11 am Reply with quote
I want the Anime Network to stay. They've introduced me to several series which I have loved very much (Azumanga Daioh, Saiyuki, Angelic Layer, Get Backers, Princess Nine, Comic Party, and several more). I cannot imagine being without TAN, and Comcast's stuff is not very interesting and the dubs for those series are nearly deplorable (I'm not a fan of CPM, can you tell?).

Also, Comcast has edited their anime... anyone see episode four of NightWalker? It's not up anymore (gee, I wonder why), but they edited everything there the best they could. I found it very surprising, however, since nothing's been edited in Descendants of Darkness...
BlazeEagle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:45 am Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:

Tell me about! TechTV was going downhill anyway but it got 100% worse once it merged with G4 [garbage4]. I only watch it so I can finish up watching Last Exile.

AFAIK, I get no Anime Channels but I'm still following this news because I will eventually get these channels if they survive long enough.

The anime companies need to team up to create one anime channel for all cable companies. I'd pay $5 extra per month for an anime channel with quality titles.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:47 am Reply with quote
Animax Asia is a very well-run station. I wouldn't necessarily use G4TechTV as the sole indication of how Comcast will handle anime. Not to mention that Animax is also likely to actually play titles from Bandai and FUNimation... I hear they have some good titles or something.

But hey, ADV only wants Anime fans of America to unite, so I guess they don't need my support anyway. Very Happy
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:00 pm Reply with quote
It's not about Brand loyalty, although i must admit ADV is one of my fav distro companies (along with Geneon and Media Blasters) and yes, being the first company to have an anime channel in America counts for alot. RE: risky venture in a niche market pays off, so thus some other comapny says "Gee, since ADV is making a mint from their Anime Network, let's see if we can get a piece of the action with our own Anime channel.." (cha-ching)

And since it's from "Comcash" who are solely responsible for the demise of Tech TV, i'm all the more in support of ADV.
yeah, the same ADV who released Battle Angel Gunmm a decade ago, which hasnow been opted for an upcoming film courtesy of James Cameron. Razz

Oh and competition can be beneficial, but i doubt if comcast will offer anything remotley superior unless they acqiure Geneon and Bandai titles.Sorry Funimation doesn't count, *scoffs at their lackluster titles*sorry i won't buy into the hype that is Full metal Alchemist until i have seen the original version
on DVD. (the "purist" in me will not watch certain dubbed series with ADS and edits.)

Your Videogame anology is very familiar. (didn't you use that same example almost 4 months ago?) Sure Microsoft has the venerable Xbox, but sony's PS2 still kicks the 'Box's ass even nintendo's gamecube for that matter.now would you base that on brand loyalty, when it's apparently clear that PS2 has better games most from the "land o' da rising sun." Wink
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:07 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
*scoffs at their lackluster titles*sorry i won't buy into the hype that is Full metal Alchemist until i have seen the original version
on DVD. (the "purist" in me will not watch certain dubbed series with ADS and edits.)

It's not edited. And you are aware that the show ran with ads in Japan too, right?
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
the_soultaker wrote:
*scoffs at their lackluster titles*sorry i won't buy into the hype that is Full metal Alchemist until i have seen the original version

It's not edited. And you are aware that the show ran with ads in Japan too, right?

as do most TV series Anime, (yearns for the old days of OVAs)
hence i rent and buy DVDs. (no commercials here) and i'm %100
positive that AU or Adult swim would never air certain tv series without sanitizing the profane language. (Courtesy of the FCC and focus groups, I.E those pathetic soccer moms!) there's no edits in Japan, as far as i know. feel free to click the edit list below if you still find fault with what i'm saying.

animenewsnetwork.com/columns/edit-list.php

Last edited by the_soultaker on Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:06 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
there's no edits in Japan, as far as i know.

Several series (ie: Kare Kano), have been broadcast in Japan and the later released on Home Video with additional footage that was too much for TV.

In other cases (Heat Guy J) shows have had their animation considerably improved for the home video release.

-t
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
there's no edits in Japan, as far as i know. Wink

Actually, there are. I know people think of Japan as being some sort of desensitized culture, but that's not the case at all. Violence, blood shed, and sexual conduct all of a time and place in Japan, and not all of it goes on TV. How do you think "Special Editions" come about? They don't just pull those cut and edited scenes out of thin air. It's not entirely uncommon for a show to be released with more animation when it comes to DVD in Japan. It's happened in the past with Evangelion and it's happened just recently with Gantz.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RZetlin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand Comcast is trying to bring it's own anime channel to it's service and that got ADV spooked.

I guess this indicates that anime has grown mainstream enough for two companies fighting for the larger market audience.
togarmah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quote
The one word I have not seen in this thread is monopoly. Cable companies are basically a monopoly deciding what the public wants to watch. Comcast, Time Warner, Adelphia, Cox, all decide what and how you should see. If a cable system decides to drop a channel, you will not easily be able to find it again. Personally, I’m waiting for John McCain to pass the cable ala-carte bill so I can choose not to have 14 Spanish language stations and 12 home shopping networks.
Kholdstare

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:32 pm Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:

Even if I often disagree with your reviews over at AOD, truer words have never been spoken than the ones right here.
Kholdstare

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote from article "Going a step farther, fans can call Comcast, or other cable providers and express their desire for The Anime Network's linear offering."

Does anyone know where I can do this on TAN's site? I can't find it. I would much prefer the linear format instead of the VOD one I currently pay $6.95 a month for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8