• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - International Fan Culture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
sheentaku wrote:
Screw Teenagers who have little income, your not getting money from them anyway so don't cater to them. I am only 19 and i i spend 100s of pounds sterling every month on the latest DVD's. As previously said i eat little just be able to afford that extra DVD.
They might not be able to afford the DVD nor merchandises as they are right now, but they could be when they got older and enter the workforce. Case to point:
sheentaku wrote:
IT would Sadden me if DVD's die out as i am a collectior and not having the psyical product would suck. The Packaging is just as important as the disk itself.
, and:
sheentaku wrote:
I like what Funimation is doing, Streams and after you are able to buy the DVD.
, also:
sheentaku wrote:
your Moe obbssive buyers who own 2 Dakimara's (aka Me)
Yeah, kinda drove that nail to your head back there, but that's one way to get people start thinking.
sheentaku wrote:
Streaming is good for a preview but seriously it is very hard for companys to make a profit off the internet without a pysical product espically in a medium like anime. Paying for downloads is a good idea but remember what ever it is, it will get cracked and people will get it for free.
Streaming with ad inserts and download-to-own are good business models that utilize the advantage of internet, but the real problem lies with those who disrespects intellectual properties.
sheentaku wrote:
Western Fan culture is just kids stuff and quite frankley a disgrace.
For every good fan who buys the product and has great discussions there is a 10000x Narutards who just cause problems.
Although the number itself was exaggerated, I understand your sentiment nonetheless. However, this is where I would personally distinguish real anime fans who are supporting the subculture with their passions, as to those who are just acting like jerks while using the fandom as an excuse to "release" their repressed aggressions.
sheentaku wrote:
Japanese Otaku Culture is alot better, they don't flaunt there hobby which i belive is the best way. It is something they enjoy in the private of there own home and if in a event they are really quite and adult about it.
Actully japanese Otaku culture is alot older (20s usually to 30s) while Western culture is mainly teens.
I disagree. For one thing, the reason why anime still remain as but a subculture, and the industry only just begone collaborating with international companies is because its own immediate and domestic community is too passive about their subculture. And the fact that Japanese domestic anime fandom tend to be older, is because the whole nation's population is old.
sheentaku wrote:
Where are my gigantic boobs and hotpants!
OH YEAH!

HAHA! EPIC POST!

Anyway, I agree with you guys as a long time anime fan, (who recently became more hardcore) I love collecting boxsets, of my favorite series, so that I can watch them again and again as I see fit.

physical DVDs (or preferably BD as more become available) are better than DLC, because:
1) you can take it with you
2) you don't need your PC or laptop to view your materials,
3) you can let a friend borrow a movie if they want to sample something. 4) your not SoL about your purcahse when you want to get a new PC (or laptop.)
5) physical copies are just nice to have.
6) Physical discs (if properly taken care of) last longer and are more reliable than simply having something saved on your HDD.

Anyway I also agree that the people who make at least some purchases (obviously one shouldn't expect every fan to go out and buy every series that they've seen), and support the industry are the real fans.

I think that the big issue as far as anime is concerned is that there is often no way of sampling a series legally. I mean face it not very much anime is available to watch on TV, unless you pay good money to get some sort of specialty anime channel.

Although I think that some anime is still very expensive, I find that it is much more reasonablly priced now that the average boxset is in the 50 - 60 dollar range, which is comparable to the average boxset price in North America. With some series that are on re-release X being offered at excellent savings prices. (off the top of my head Yu Yu Hakusho comes to mind, being offered in the 25 - 30 dollar range)

As for the article itself, I found it to be a very interesting read, and although I always interpreted America as being a rowdy bunch I didn't realize that there was such a big difference between American fans and Japanese anime fans.

*as a side note I got huge LULZ! out of the comparison between the average Japanese employee and the North American employee especially as far as the business card issue went.* Again thats another thing that I sort of had a suspicion about, but I still found my self surprised when I actually read it.

Anway as a final note, you get bonus points on your post for OH YEAH! LOL
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
sheentaku wrote:
Also the fact i only buy anime related stuff and often give up other luxarys

That's sort of... sad. You don't go out to eat? See a movie? Buy drinks at the bar with friends?

Miitan wrote:
But these companies have already made their money with TV revenue in the case of Buffy and anime does not typically go to TV. If it did, then the cost of dubbing and subbing it would easily have been paid by this. So it's not that it's overpriced, it's that it's not subsidised.

Hmm... hadn't thought of that, but it definitely makes sense.

And of course in recent years anime has gotten a lot cheaper thanks to boxsets and the like as well.
OZ-13MS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Kelts wrote:
So, first you have to convince Japanese producers that DVD is dead in North America and Europe. Second, you have to convince them that Internet distribution is the only possible profit model. And third, you need to find a way to actually accrue profits from streaming or downloadable formats. I admit: that's a formidable three-step program, since no one seems to know how to accomplish step 3 (profiting from Internet distribution).

DVD's are not necessarily dead. Some people have just looked at new ways to obtain the desired media. To really change or remove the disk storage format you need to introduce something that will be inexpensive, convenient, profitable, provide large storage capacity, and security. For example, rumor has it that the PSP will move away from disc storage and move on to flash card storage and online game downloads for new releases. The physical media will be provided by flash cards and because the encrypted data from the card will only communicate with the hardware there will be a level of security.

As for the three-step program an idea to accomplish step three will be to adapt Google style advertisement and palace a tariff on downloads and streams. A given scenario for example, thousands of fans visit the site to watch streamed or download anime. For an online business it will be ideal to get the attention of these fans to visit their website and quite possibly make a purchase. Commerce websites will buy ad time from the anime websites who provide the stream and downloads thus resulting in profits for both parties. An example for the tariff on downloads and streams, an anime company can charge $0.50 for one episode stream and you will be able to watch it at the provider's website as many times as you wish. They will also provide accounts for subscribers which will allow them to keep anime on a favorites list for easy access. For downloads the service providers can charge $1.00 for every 100mb downloaded. Every episode will be provided in an 400p, 720p and 1080p format. 400p will be about 200mb, 720p ~ 300mb, and 1080p ~ 400mb. There will also be a bulk offers for anime an example: There is an anime series of 12 episodes that is completed or will be completed and you wish to download in 400p. The charge will be $24 but since you purchased a bulk you will receive a discount depending on the number of episodes in the series. There also has to be a sense of accountability from both providers and customers.

These are just simple ideas I came up with.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
pparker wrote:
ArthurFrDent mentioned this already, but to chime in: The economic formula that Roland describes for anime in the West is probably correct, but the actual future is probably not "no DVDs", but a large majority of digital online delivery.

While this sounds great, the big problem I see in it is that it takes one more step out of the pirating process...

You mean buying a physical DVD instead of paying to download it? Okay, we saved them a trip to the store or 2 days wait for shipping, and maybe $10. If that were all the barrier we needed to stop pirates, we wouldn't have a problem now.

wrote:

To give you a sense of why I think most anime is priced too high, back in the day I was a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan. I bought the first five season boxsets. Each season had 22 hour-long episodes, which is equivalent of 44 episodes of anime. How much did this cost? $50-$60. They came with gobs of extras, too. And don't try arguing the "translation and dubbing costs money" angle. Those DVDs had subtitles in English, Spanish, and French, with a Spanish dub track as well. I know there are costs involved in bringing it over here etc. but it's pretty damn overpriced. That isn't an excuse to never buy anime, but it is part of the reason people do it.

What Miitan said. This has been hashed over and over on this forum. R1 anime companies only earn money from TV for a few titles, and apparently not much anyway. Even anime creators in Japan rarely do. The U.S. TV DVDs you buy are gravy for the studios. They sell millions of copies and have streamlined, low-cost volume DVD production systems. Anime is lucky to sell 10,000's of thousands of copies here, and the producers are small companies without the benefit of huge mass production systems. A major studio could even sell you Buffy DVDs at a loss and be fine with it, because they already made a fortune off broadcasting, and could do it just to satisfy fans with barely a notice on the bottom line.

The thin season sets and half-sets are a new idea, and hopefully these companies are making a profit. I suspect we don't know yet whether the new model for DVD sales can sustain them, along with streaming ad sales and subscriptions.

We stand to lose a lot of anime on DVD outside Japan, because previously volume on a few titles might cover for losses on others. That's how the movie production business works. But now, with lower prices for sets, and the risk being higher, companies will be more conservative. Funi is the only one that seems to be licensing many niche titles, and we don't know that will last.

It's an expensive hobby, no doubt. But I don't see DVDs as overpriced. Certainly not now.
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
sheentaku wrote:

That's sort of... sad. You don't go out to eat? See a movie? Buy drinks at the bar with friends?

Whats wrong with him spending his money how he sees fit? its his money that he worked to earn, aside from any bills he might incur, or board he may have to pay, its his to do with as he pleases. Besides its not like he said he never goes out to eat.

Miitan wrote:
But these companies have already made their money with TV revenue in the case of Buffy and anime does not typically go to TV. If it did, then the cost of dubbing and subbing it would easily have been paid by this. So it's not that it's overpriced, it's that it's not subsidised.

Hmm... hadn't thought of that, but it definitely makes sense.

And of course in recent years anime has gotten a lot cheaper thanks to boxsets and the like as well.

Yeah lucky for me everything has become much more reasonably priced just as I really started to collect.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
sheentaku wrote:

Re-thinking it... that was mean of me to say. My only point is that for me, buying as much as you would not mean giving up luxuries or "eating pasta," it would require me to basically not eat at all. Not all of us have the luxury of even buying luxuries, and I find it rude to have money problems dismissed so callously. I've got a list of anime I'll buy when I get work, but right now I am so happy for streaming.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
hmm, I was under the impression that almost all Anime went to TV unless it was called "OVA" hence the stuff from TVtokyo, Dentsu and such... am I incorrect in thinking? I can think few anime titles get made without advertizer support, those that do being OVA... Yes Buffy was gravy, but I think most DVD are.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Super_Vegeta wrote:

physical DVDs (or preferably BD as more become available) are better than DLC, because:
1) you can take it with you
2) you don't need your PC or laptop to view your materials,
3) you can let a friend borrow a movie if they want to sample something.
4) your not SoL about your purcahse when you want to get a new PC (or laptop.)
5) physical copies are just nice to have.

This is why I like DVDs better as well, DVDs I can put on my shelf, keep out of direct heat and sunlight, and don't have to worry about my computer crashing/getting hit with a virus/transferring everything over to another computer over and over again.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I'll only stop buying anime on DVD when I start buying anime on BluRay (which is still a little ways off for me).

I'll watch ad-supported streaming anime, but, if I'm paying money, I'm only interested in pre-packaged physical media, and, if North American anime distributors ever go digital distribution only, I guess I'll just spend the thousand or more dollars I currently spend on anime every year on other pursuits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Roland wrote:
So, first you have to convince Japanese producers that DVD is dead in North America and Europe. Second, you have to convince them that Internet distribution is the only possible profit model. And third, you need to find a way to actually accrue profits from streaming or downloadable formats.

If this happens, then me and anime are done. THERE IS NO WAY I will pay for internet distribution. I think the right path is starting to be walked, with the streaming of new shows with subs LEGALLY. The endgame has to be something like a satellite service where I can tune in my TV to a Japanese station, and watch an anime episode at or near the same time as people in Japan, with quality subtitles. Or maybe even something like what Kurokami is doing, but the exposure is a problem with that release; but I digress.

Quote:
I have plenty of Japanese otaku pals who say that very little quality material has come out of the industry since the late 90s.

Then I wouldn't put much stock into their opinions. There have been more, better quality shows in this decade then there was in the 90's.

Quote:
And a lot of the stuff American otaku/fans love is already quite dated in Japan.

Wait. If you're taking about shows like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, then yes that boat sailed in Japan a century ago. The shows that are the norm in Japan now usually get a Rolling Eyes or a disgusted reaction from segments of fans in America.
Bling Bling

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I think a major problem with the american anime community is a lack of understanding between this generation and the older fans. I also think there should be better anime clubs then some I've been to that werent meant to organize fans so much as see what products they would buy.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Bling Bling wrote:
I also think there should be better anime clubs then some I've been to that werent meant to organize fans so much as see what products they would buy.

The easiest solution for that would be to start your own club.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
hmm, I was under the impression that almost all Anime went to TV unless it was called "OVA" hence the stuff from TVtokyo, Dentsu and such... am I incorrect in thinking? I can think few anime titles get made without advertizer support, those that do being OVA... Yes Buffy was gravy, but I think most DVD are.

I wish I had time to dig up the links, but basically other than the top TV shows (see latest ANN news link for TV ratings--it's all little kid/family shows), anime is essentially a pay-for-play business model in Japan. The "advertisers" for late-night anime are the production partners who paid to make the anime in the first place, those that will make money on the DVDs, merchandising and licensing. So they are really paying the TV station to play the anime, which drives the revenue from other sources. The comparison in the U.S. is infomercials.

In the U.S., a series is picked up by a network based on the pilot under the assumption that the show will consistently draw enough viewers to earn sufficient revenue from advertisers. Those advertisers pay by the number of viewers according to ratings. That's why low overall viewership, regardless of rabid niche audience popularity, gets shows cancelled (e.g., Star Trek). If a show isn't successful, or doesn't play at all, then no DVDs. You don't see TV shows that didn't air selling on DVD, right? Cable companies that run ads work on the same model. Others like HBO try to pick or even produce their own shows that are popular, because if people don't watch, subscriptions fall off, and they lose money.

The popular kids and family anime in Japan can also earn "real" advertising dollars, so the model is like American TV. But no sane advertiser is going to pay money for ads during Ikki Tousen, To Love Ru, Rosario+Vampire, Strike Witches and Kanokon, right? The only audience is otaku, and they spend all their money on anime and its merchandise, not counting the stigma. So, how does Ikki Tousen, three seasons worth of it, get aired? Because the anime producers pay to air it, so they can sell DVDs and stuff to the otaku. There is a close correlation between the number of threads on 2channel (the otaku forum site) for an anime series, and the number of DVDs that will be sold, because that's the core of the audience.

The Japanese producers are in the same situation, ironically, as the R1 companies. Except the economics and structure of the industry there allow them to pay for airing the shows on TV, and they have a dedicated, captive audience that will pay for merchandise, and for 10,000 copies of a $700 special edition of Full Metal Alchemist, and do it right before a remake of the same show airs. Those little plastic figures and dakimakura are sold by the ton. Years after the show airs in fact (Haruhi, Evangelion...).

Imagine if the market were large enough for anime in the U.S., that a cable channel existed where R1 companies could pay to play the anime, and enough people would watch that would then buy DVDs? We would have the same model as the Japanese. But we don't have a large enough market to support the cost of operating a channel. The DVD sales are too low, and we won't buy enough Nanoha dolls.

So... back to the My HIME/My Otome marathon...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
You are right about the merchandise helping out. I've seen countless times that Bandai rakes in more from Gunpla than they ever could from DVD sales. You can't download merch, so it's always a good way to try to sell a DVD by packaging with it. And it's unarguable that Japanese DVDs tend to contain better physical extras than American ones. The issue here is that Americans aren't as merchandise crazy as the otaku seem to be.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
Actual physical products will not simply die out. Now as technology continues to advance we may no longer have dvds. Maybe some new form of physical media storage will come along. But physical media will not disappear I guarantee you. The simple fact is the majority of people DO NOT buy/download streaming videos. The majority of people simply don't for many reasons. So there will always be the need, for at least a long time still to come, for physical media storage. I bet we'll see less but no matter how popular streaming video becomes it will not die out. Now that's physical media storage as a whole....specific forms of entertainment (anime) may die out but the actual dvd/blueray/whatever comes next will not for a while to come. Just my opinion but so far for 3 decades give or take it's held true. We've advanced the technology and actual hardware the physical media is stored/sold on but it's still there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4