• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Murders She Wrote

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Another voice for tracking down the singles for Pani Poni Dash.
Some of the best extras from any series I own.
(if you like English dub actress interviews, multiple versions of Yellow Vacation opener sung by different Japanese actresses, every closer in this series had some unique animation, and all of them get the textless treatment, and Oh yeah, Vid notes, which really explain a ton).

What I wouldn't give to get those clean-closers as screen-savers for my computer... Cool
I figured that set wouldn't have the Vid-Notes, Luckily I initially liked the series enough to get all the singles as they came out Razz . Probably my favorite anime comedy of all time. Don't forget about the Bancho-episode! Laughing
I keep telling myself that I will one day watch it subbed, but that would just make for too much text on the screen for my slow-reading speed. Oh well, I love the dub performances, especially Haag's Becky, too adorable... Embarassed in the bratty way that is...

I still plan on renting Murder Princess; if only to see if it can still provide me with what I expected and didn't get from Princess Resurrection; stupid, violent fun...
Shedranes

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
I'm jealous of the room but he's missing one thing:
I don't see a Wii anywhere.

I'm sorry to say I've seen the first 2 episode of Murder Princess>< I pray that everyone follows the review's advise.

Hm, dunno. Just never felt the urge to buy a wii. Somehow i just don't see the greatness of it. But who knows, I just recently bought a DS and i'm loving that so... Very Happy

evilnekohilda wrote:
animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/28488/s7.jpg

Anybody else notice Enki pimping Rei and Asuka? BEST THING EVAR.

Glad some of you noticed. ^^ I had quite the chuckle to myself when setting that up. Those figs keep moving around aswell since just about every person that passes by seems to get sticky fingers. Kind of shocking to find your stuff in new (usually strange) positions...Razz
Shedranes

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote
Fun that people liked my little collection Very Happy

@aluria. Never liked the wii. Guess i'm too much of a graphics goon to quite get into it. One should never say never though. Just bought a DS and i'm loving it... so who knows.

@JairStout. Indeed that is Horo. Spice and wolf is probably my #1 Series.

@maichips. Fun that you noticed! That was the exact thought I had when setting it up like that. I even think the wording is the same. O_o

@Emerje & evilnekohilda. Glad you noticed that. I was chuckling like a madman setting that up. Laughing Thing is, people that pass by keep getting sticky fingers and re-arrange everything. Usually into some very awkward and hillarious positions. Very Happy

@bglassbrook. Pic 4 is actually located by the lucky star artbook in pic 11. My camera is kind of dodgy, hence the black backdrop.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

It's a shame that this PPD doesn't have the vid notes. I've got to hurry and find the last three discs from ADV then (I got the first three for free from a friend because he found the box for cheaper than the buying the last three discs individually).

RightStuf has them for $6 a piece.

For anyone who needs the whole series, as Zalis mentioned, you can get a bundle with all the discs and the box, for $49.99. But its actually cheaper to buy the individual discs rather than the bundle. If you get the box, it comes out to only $40. $36 if you don't want the box.

I highly recommend the ADV singles for anyone looking to get this series. The ADVid Notes are the biggest reason, but the series has a lot of nice extras in general, including amusing inserts (the ADV of old was really good with those) and other on-disc extras. Those on-disc extras are particularly good for dub fans, as they had a number of extras with the English VAs.

I was looking forward to getting to this series, but I'll most likely rent it first before I buy it. If I do like it I'll go ahead and get the singles from TRSI if they still have some then when I get around to buying them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:46 am Reply with quote
Having all the ADV dvds of Pani Poni Dash, I count myself lucky. Did they change the songs in the openings and endings? Those are some of Akiyuki Shinbo's best work.

Speaking of the visual style, that's how the director normally works, large or small budget. If you noticed in Negima?! scenes of everyone just sitting at their desks, their purposely made static, most likely as a visual gag. This gag abounds in Shinbo's Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei series, including a quick stab at Negima?!. Not so much in Maria+Holic, I noticed, but then he was going for the whole yuri stab then.

It sucks they couldn't leave in the Vidnotes; I feel Funimation keeps cutting corners with their works in order to get them out ASAP. I miss the original songs though.

I liked Murder Princess in that it was just something fun to turn my brain off of for a few episodes. Ultimately too short with a bad last episode though. Cheese for the sake of cheese, you'd say.

I turned off School Rumble during the very first episode, so that's my op. Yet to check out Darker than Black.
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
irishninja wrote:

Bamboo already did, two weeks ago.

I saw that when it came out, but I meant like a full fledged review, not just three paragraphs and some Cliff Notes.

Ah! Gotcha. My misunderstanding. Smile

Edit:
Zalis116 wrote:
For PaniPoni Dash, I have to echo Bamboo's dismay about the Vid-Notes and other extras not making it onto the current release. I highly recommend getting the ADV single DVDs, even if they are slightly more expensive than the Funi set under the current TRSI sale. That's still less than what I paid for them as they were coming out.

Aaaaaand... purchased. Thanks for the tip, Zalis. Smile
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
I'm jealous of all of that Lucky Star and Haruhi merchandise.
robo-ky

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
kudos to bamboo for another awesome column, and that room is just wow amazing.
I really enjoyed DTB, even if it wasn't that deep, I thought it had potential for ending up on American TV somewhere either sci-fi or adult swim, I mean it's better than code geass Wink
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
aluria wrote:
I'm jealous of the room but he's missing one thing:
I don't see a Wii anywhere.

*buries head in hands* It's OK to not have a Wii, for cripes sake!

Sorry, personal issue there. Every gaming conversation I ever have:
"What system do you have?"
"Actually, I've got 9- 14 if handhelds count."
"Whoa!"
(wait for it)
"Do you have a Wii?"
"....no."
"Oh."

I mean seriously, the nine (nine!) already here aren't good enough?! When Wii has games I care about, I'll buy one, OK? Sheesh!

Ok, thanks for letting me get that out...

I feel the same way except most people I know think the Wii is garbage since it is mostly just a family gaming system and not a gamer's gaming system because they are mostly Xbox 360 guys and they all keep asking me are you going to buy a 360? And I am like um no. I got a PS3 that can play PS2 games and a PSP but should that matter to anyone? No and then then they will say like oh yeah you should really get a 360. It's so annoying and it's also why it is so annoying to talk about video games to people.
robo-ky

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote
Wii has one standout title, Smash Bros. is the bees knees
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see PANI PONI DASH and SCHOOL RUMBLE S2 get good shelf ratings, those are two of my favorite shows. One of the things I really like about RUMBLE is how much Harima's character stands out; in most bishoujo-dominated casts that I've seen the male leads tend to be forgettable and fade into the background of whatever scene they're in but in RUMBLE I think Harima's the funniest, most unique, and best developed character. Has the Third Semester OVA been licensced yet? I'd really like to complete my SCHOOL RUMBLE collection. Another impressive shelf this week; the only thing that stops it from topping last week's is the lack of a giant figure. Very cute Kagami pic; I have the companian Tsukasa figure--I wanted the pair but the store I went to only had Tsukasa.
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
*buries head in hands* It's OK to not have a Wii, for cripes sake!

Sorry, personal issue there. Every gaming conversation I ever have:
"What system do you have?"
"Actually, I've got 9- 14 if handhelds count."
"Whoa!"
(wait for it)
"Do you have a Wii?"
"....no."
"Oh."

I mean seriously, the nine (nine!) already here aren't good enough?! When Wii has games I care about, I'll buy one, OK? Sheesh!

Ok, thanks for letting me get that out...

Don't feel bad, I'm asked the same thing

Let's see, I have a NES, SNES, and GC for regular gaming systems, and two of each of the following: GBC, GBA, and DS (well, one original and one Lite, but they're both the same basically) - so I could be your twin, as I have nine consoles as well. Laughing

I'd love a Wii, and would love nothing more than the bowling game, but alas, I'm eagerly (and fruitlessly) waiting for a price drop.

Getting back on topic...

Yeah for 90's X-men! Smile Marvel.com is uploading them to their website as well, but they've only got the first ep up - I didn't know they were on DVD, so I will have to run out and get those!

And need to see Darker than Black - I've heard excellent things about that show.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Not to rush to Funi's defense, but The Vid-Notes is a copyrighted product of ADV, hence the reason it is not in their release of Pani Poni Dash (as is also the case in Nerima Daikon Brothers). Personally, I didn't really care for PPD (nor the PPD wannabe Negima?!) although I admit I thought the dub was solid.

I think I want to rent Murder Princess now just to see how bad it can get - sorta like the Buried Garbage "recommendations" Razz

Last edited by CaptainAvatar on Tue May 05, 2009 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
And I am like um no. I got a PS3 that can play PS2 games and a PSP but should that matter to anyone? No and then then they will say like oh yeah you should really get a 360. It's so annoying and it's also why it is so annoying to talk about video games to people.

I agree completely. I remember this one guy who wouldn't shut up about how I got a 360 instead of a PS3. No matter how many times I told him I'm not interested in that argument, he kept going. And this was a guy in his late 20s, not some high-schooler. So finally I just said "Look, the PS3; no Mass Effect, no Gears of War, and no expansions for Fallout 3, therefore, no sale for me." And luckily it ended with that. But damn, that was annoying Rolling Eyes
norman728

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I actually Like Murder Princess(The Manga is better But Not by Much.) I watched the entire series and the changes from the Manga ruin it for me. I think It just tries too hard. O'l still by it to add to the collection. Especially since it's cheap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4