• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:03 am Reply with quote
21stcenturydigitalboy wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I still blame you for making me watch Arcade Gamer Fubiki.

This actually sounds interesting in the so bad it is good category, as opposed to Fubiki which strove for that point but failed on every level.

Can't anyone make a so bad it is good anime post 1998? (besides Shuffle?)

Legend of Duo came out in like 03 and it's the most unintentionally hilariously bad thing I've ever seen. And easy to find!

EDIT: oh, and don't forget everyone's favorite Musashi Gun-doh!

There's also Glass Fleet, though that may be in the "so bad it's horrible" category...
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
Quote:
Much like I, as a half Asian, must hunt white people.

I knew it!

Yeah this looks rather amazingly bad I really want to find an old VHS tape of this in a bargain bin somewhere.

Great article!

1. But in what clothes Justin? Silly ones, sensible ones, enquiring minds want to know!

2. This does look spectacularly bad, I think my OOP VHS tape locating, purchasing and watching abilities would be better put towards things I actually think are good (particularly as I don't have a VCR at my current residence, my dad still has it in storage because I'm not sure where to put it). Excellent article though. Are you ever going to cover anime on Betamax? Is there any?
BattleHork

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Blues of Hadal wrote:
reanimator wrote:
It looks like those creatively retarded American comic makers.

They always assumed that Anime as exotic entertainment untainted by creative stagnancy of American corporate entertainment. Ironic, isn't it?

You guys must be so used to this. Sounds like a crazy racist or something.

anyway Marvel hasn't always had a lot of money behind it. If they had been in a better position such a collaboration would have been cool.

Just because I said ill of American comic makers (publishers) of 80's, that doesn't make me a racist. I'm just stating the creative stagnancy that plagued Marvel and other major comic publishers for decades and 1980's happens to be one of those decades. Money isn't the major issue for Americans who subcontract animation to Japan. Obviously, animation artists at Toei weren't willing to put their heart and soul into something they don't understood. They just did for money and Marvel just wanted to make quick bucks.

Sure, publishers like Dark Horse is doing great job publishing diverse works. Anyway, Marvel has been making the serious bucks through Hollywood movie franchise rights of their decades-old pillar titles, not through publication of their printed materials.

When Anime fandom was new, most fans never realized that 80's Saturday morning cartoons drawn by Japanese studios. When they encountered OVA animations from Japan, they thought of them as some kind of god-sent exotic entertainment.

Now, fast forward to 21st century. I believe I'm seeing the same creative stagnancy that plagued American side for decades has crept into Japanese comics and animations. You should know what I'm talking about. No inspiration, no innovations, no exploration, and everyone just copies each other. Now I said something ill of Japanese. Happy now?
petran79

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Btw a developer of a popular US underground fighting game was probably influenced by the hamburger scene. this is even more hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=FD313809A8F42AD9&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&v=xQLQNICA7J4

The Frankenstein movie was much better. If you look at the director and the scriptwriter you will not wonder why.....

Despite that the plot differs a lot from the book, it manages to have some interesting twists.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I remember someone mentioned this piece of crap to me on an old topic. Now I can clearly see why it is under Buried Garbage Anime hyper
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
This looks so crappy! And the clip with Dracula eating a hamburger is hilarious! I can see why it's so bad, but I bet it would be a laugh to watch!
Strange to see a vampire eating a hamburger, I thoght a vampire would eat raw meet if they can't get blood. Ah well, this was crap so it doesn't matter anyway.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Tomb of Dracula ran for years and introduced Blade of all characters into the Marvel Comics continuity (along with a lot of his supporting staff, Deacon Frost, Hannibal King, etc). Glad they avoided him.
Ottervinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
That article was a pretty good read. It's made me curious to watch this what-looks-to-be-an-abomination of a film. Smile
Elchinodepelocrespo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Dracula has been released on Dvd in Italy alongside Frankenstein, Hashire Melos!, Call of the wild and another 80´s tv special with dinosaurs and timetravels, don´t remember the exact title. These titles were aired on spanish tv in the 80´s and in some other european countries as well (at least Italy and France, I believe), so they are not unknown to us.

I remember watching this movies when I was a child. The memory of some images and scenes kept hidden in my mind all these years till I finally managed to get a copy of them. I watched them recently and I got surprised by the level of (gory) violence and melodramatic approach to the story of each one, especially in Frankenstein and Call of the wild. Sure these movies are not for kids, but in Spain were aired as if the were so. I have to say all of them seem crap to me except Call of the wild.

Pd1: Buried garbage suggestion: Techno Police 21C

Pd2: anybody has seen Future War 198X?
Sander RX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Im watching this movie right now and the most prominent vibe I am getting at this point is:
Dracula-"And I would have gotten away with it if not for these meddling Vampire Hunters AND THEIR STUPID DOG!"
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Hey, will you do an article for that one adaptation they did with Starship Troopers? Or did you already?

Pretty much the only one that even had power armor.

I think the DTV Starship Troopers 3 actually made with the powered suits, but it's pretty horrible otherwise from what I've heard.

The CGI series was pretty good, though I like the anime mech designs better.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
Fallen Wings wrote:
Oh this little piece of forgotten rubbish ...

You want to see clips of it?
(Thanks to Anime Bargain Bin for uploading these)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jfdvfmepbA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fRttylhhoo

Ha ha ha one mistake I ever looked at ^^;

One of those things I will never forgive ...

Lulz at that second link! Especially the line "What's your sign?" "CAUTION: Man at work!" Very Happy It seemed like that guy was more like "Quagpire" to me, but it turns out spoiler[the woman he's trying to plow is the Vampire Killer!] This is the 2nd obscure anime I actually wanna see now, right before "Butt Attack Punisher Girl Guatamann!"
Dudley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised you haven't covered "Crystal Triangle" yet.
I saw it yesterday for the first time and from the moment they started talking english with japanese AND english subtitles I knew this would be something VERY special! Laughing
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
A small typo in the article: "gos sipping" for "gossiping". Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4