• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Azumanga Daioh The Complete DVD Collection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Aw man, I got the thinpack a few years ago and it doesn't have ANY of those extras! Oh well, I guess that's what I get for not getting the singles originally.

That answers my question. Guess I'll have to double dip (or triple dip, as I had the 6 stand alone discs, then foolishly sold it.)

And the music is awesome. Really captures the mood of the show. When I listen to the soundtrack, I can SEE AzuDai in my mindbrain.
tankerboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:

dude, the entire premise of the show is "school girls being cute". every scene with chiyo, osaka, and sakaki is designed to make you go "awww, thats adorable". this show, in it's entirety, is the essence of moe-blob.

just because you're entertained by this filth, doesn't change the fact that it's a poison in the anime-manufacturing world. and personally, i don't support this.

Wow, you must have had a real tough time in highschool to dislike a story about the female adolescent experience and six girls who don't quite fit in at their school to come out against it so viciously, perhaps that says more about you than about the series. Having raised three daughters and having helped to raise three nieces I can tell you with some authority that after discounting for obvious gags almost every situation rings extremely true as do all the girls personalities, including Chiyo and Tomo.

Are the issues minor, maybe to you, but they are not and were not minor to girls and women who've experienced them. And, yes, the issues are "cute" - but only in retrospect

Maybe someday there will be a series about a group of girls that deals with the not so cute embarrassment of a first period; the unrelenting pain when you heart's broken for the first time; the humiliation when obnoxious males, both peers and adults who should know better, make private and, worse, public comments about a your developing body; or the day in-day out torment of not feeling you "belong" anywhere - but Azumanga wasn't intended to be that series.

It was probably targeted towards a female audience who would, more than likely, prefer seeing a story about something they could identify with than one about six girls, all bitter outsiders with an axe to grind, who have the ability to combine into a giant mechamoe girl who then kicks the delinquent of the week's ass while screaming "Azumanga Punch!"

And because your hate is so generic I wonder how much you watched. I already know how much you understood.

I apologize for the length of my response.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
dude, the entire premise of the show is "school girls being cute". every scene with chiyo, osaka, and sakaki is designed to make you go "awww, thats adorable". this show, in it's entirety, is the essence of moe-blob.

just because you're entertained by this filth, doesn't change the fact that it's a poison in the anime-manufacturing world. and personally, i don't support this.

You have yet to explain how cuteness is inherently bad.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
tankerboy wrote:

It was probably targeted towards a female audience
Though I'm sure many females could relate to it, it is glaringly clear it was targeted at the population of male hikikomori suffering from self social and hygiene rejection snydrome, who, some of which, are quite good at drawing pictures of their own, using Azumanga as a "template", to sell for a few yen to dodgy book shops, to be sold on to the rest. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quote
i understand that my desire for an anime that has more depth to it than that of a youtube video of kittens playing with each other is not understood, or agreed with here. so i will let you all enjoy your show, and let it end with "to each his own".

tankerboy wrote:

Maybe someday there will be a series about a group of girls that deals with the not so cute embarrassment of a first period;

Naisho no Tsubomi
tankerboy wrote:
the unrelenting pain when you heart's broken for the first time; the humiliation when obnoxious males, both peers and adults who should know better, make private and, worse, public comments about a your developing body; or the day in-day out torment of not feeling you "belong" anywhere

School Days
tankerboy wrote:
And because your hate is so generic I wonder how much you watched. I already know how much you understood.

8 eps, 2 manga volumes.
RommieSG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:50 am Reply with quote
This is one of my favorite series, and one that I'll be watching here again soon. I watch it annually whenever school is about to start, and enjoy it just as much, if not more each time that I watch it.

The characters are memorable, there's heartwarming moments here and there, and the comedy is off the charts.

As for the dub and soundtrack, I have all the soundtracks for this series, as I find it that memorable. The songs played during the melancholy moments at sunset, and at touching moments are perfect for those moments.

I don't have a bad thing to say about this series.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
You know, I love Azumanga Daioh for being a nice, relaxing story about girls having fun in their lives. It's very charming, as they enjoy their lives that aren't ridden with drama. Deep and complex, try something else. AzuDai isn't a Neon Boogiepop wannabe. There are shows out there that can be, but why can't there be simple yet enjoyable tales about the positive sides of life?

Also, spindle or not, they have Extras! However, I'll just hold out a little longer to see if I find any deals for the singles and artbox. Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Love this series. First series that made me go out and purchase it the next day after watching it streamed.

I'm glad that they re-released this back in it's 6 disc format. As the previous ones reviewed on AoD stated that the compression caused much of the extras to be removed for space. Which is why I don't buy thinpaks that much anymore for this very reason.

I own the original 6 disc volumes which included the little lapel pins. I had purchased this collection over the summer to donate to (my job) library's collection. While it was nice to finally get it in I did not like how the discs were contained. All 6 discs were stacked on a spindle. So if you hold it even slightly the wrong way they will fall off. Which happened. Whoever packaged this could have done a better job. There are standard cases that hold 6 discs in one case. Like a single volume. 'Media Blaster' did it for 'Berserk'. I just don't like discs stacked on top of each other. That aside if you don't own the originals then pick it up.
lkmjr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Gotta disagree about the music. It isn't mind-blowing, but the background fits the tone of the series perfectly and does a good job of setting the mood for each scene, the opener is fun and unbelievably catchy, and the ending is sweet and relaxing. If I have one complaint about it, it's that I've been trying to get the OP and ED out of my head for years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3