• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aniplex's Pricing Point: Can it be justified?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Jon182 wrote:
I just find it amusing that so many expert economists got it wrong when we look at the state of the global economy.

Quite the contrary, actually. Most economists warned if the SEC didn't restore the system pre-Reagan administration, the economy's current situation would be inevitable.

As for people complaining about AoA's pricing structure, these arm-chair economists have no idea what they're talking about, especially when we can example the situation from a company which did leave R1: Bandai.

A lower price does not guarantee better sales, and it's this constant misconception which boggles the mind. It's been proven, many times over, consumers will often feel a lower price is the same thing as a diminished quality.

Whether or not one agrees with the pricing, it's clearly evident AoA isn't going anywhere soon. People are buying these products at the high asking point, because they're going beyond "box and plastic", but more into the passion of the series, which is what most normal shoppers will do.

For shelf collectors, those people who want nothing short of libraries of tiles they'll never re-watch, price becomes an issue because they can't stand the notion of having to pay so much for a title that'll do nothing but collect dust.

It's mind-boggling to read these people's excuses, then in another unrelated post, proudly share with the world quite a bit of their collection remains in its original shrink wrap. These people get an instant dismissal from me when talking about price, because they're just posting to whine without truly understanding what markets are.

Yes, $600 for a set of movies is outrageous, but so is $30 for a 2 hour movie just released on bluray from Hollywood. Yet people buy. Even with the knowledge prices will come down, it's fundamentally absurd these people think it's a crime companies charge such outrages prices.

The same can be said in every entertainment faction: hard cover books sell significantly more than their paperback cousins. Games will release at $70, but within a year, can be found for $20. Even music drops in price, as original released CDs can be as high as $20 in one year, but in a discount bin of $2 the next.

Entertainment has always been marketed to take advantage of the gullibility of buyers since it was conceived, and gullibility, by the way, isn't to be read as an insult, but a statement of fact. If people are truly considerate of prices, then the $50 box set is also too high an asking price, especially when they drop in a couple of years through clearance sales, as currently being run on TRSI (or last year's DeepDiscount.com sale).

Personally, I have no problem with AoA's pricing structure because the ultimate decision always comes down to me: I'll either buy it, or more than likely, I will not.

I'm not that desperate to own something instantly if I have no value in the series. Ironically, that's always earned after I make a purchase when the price was lowered, usually enticing me to by the next season at the higher price.

And we're about to see this in action when Shakugan no Shana is released by FUNimation, who has doubled the price of seasons after the first with its two-part collection.

Or did people not notice this price increase.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
It's mind-boggling to read these people's excuses, then in another unrelated post, proudly share with the world quite a bit of their collection remains in its original shrink wrap. These people get an instant dismissal from me when talking about price, because they're just posting to whine without truly understanding what markets are.

Ah yes, another genius shambles in to explain to us what markets really are, man. Rolling Eyes

As you know, Mesonoxian Eve, [redacted], so I harbor absolutely no illusions that you will [redacted]

First, the complaints about AoA's pricing stem from a keen understanding of the current R1 anime market, not the opposite as you claim. We understand that Funi, Sentai, NISA, Viz, Media Blasters, Nozomi, Discotek, etc all are fairly close to each other with respect to price points. There is some variation, but generally all R1 distribs keep within a general proximity of each other with respect to prices. All save one. AoA. And even with AoA, not all of its prices are wildly out of whack with other distribs - just some of them.

AoA's pricing policy doesn't make them criminals or bad people. If it is generating profits for them, it makes them smart businesspeople. If it isn't generating profits for them, it makes them dumb businesspeople. The thing is, we outsiders have no way of knowing how profitable their pricing model is. Are they making money hand over fist? Are they making modest profits? Are they breaking even? Are they losing money? Who knows? Since they are a wholly-owned subsidiary of Aniplex, they could conceivably run in the red for a number of years and we would have no idea about it.

So, in conclusion, we who do not like AoA's pricing models cannot accuse them of being bad businesspeople because we don't know if they are or are not. However, we can say - with complete understanding of the R1 market and with complete justification: you are price-gouging. Price-gouging can be great business for a company or bad business for a company (in the long term) but it is still price-gouging any way you slice it.

Last edited by Blood- on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jon182

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
@Blood
I’m glad you hold such a low opinion of my cognitive abilities, sadly they must be on par with your reading comprehension, as I didn’t write the quote ascribed to me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Jon182 - nor did I think you had. Sometimes attribution gets screwed up in posts. I intended to respond to ME's comments, not yours.
Jon182

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Ah, an honest mistake. Sorry. Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'm going to go ahead and apologize for my irritated tone to ME above. His condescending attitude that those of us who complain about AoA prices don't understand the R1 market got my back up. I actually don't dislike the guy as much as it may seem. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd go back and edit the offending parts out.

eta: what do you know, I found some energy to do a bit of pruning after all.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
First, the complaints about AoA's pricing stem from a keen understanding of the current R1 anime market, not the opposite as you claim.

We're at a disagreement here because many (note: not all) posters clearly do not understand their own market.

Quote:
We understand that Funi, Sentai, NISA, Viz, Media Blasters, Nozomi, Discotek, etc all are fairly close to each other with respect to price points.

Keep this in mind. It becomes important in just a bit.

Quote:
However, we can say - with complete understanding of the R1 market and with complete justification: you are price-gouging.

This is why I made the blanket statement, because it's not price gouging. It's taking advantage of a free market, and yes, Blood-, there is a difference.

Price gouging is a price set when no alternatives are present in the same market, and our very R1 existence makes the use of "price gouging" absurd.

If anything, we can claim R1 is price gouging the market by delivering goods which constantly demand that magical price point, such as subtitle only products having the same MRSP as its more expensive-to-produce dubbed product.

But yet, people don't complain about that. Nor do they complain about the increasing two-part collections, which now increase those prices despite others being sold as a whole unit.

What's staggering is this same audience then turns itself onto Sentai's recent distribution list of upcoming titles. Are you really going to convince me this is a group that understands its markets when they're declaring doom and gloom because Sentai's over-saturating the market? Not going to happen, Blood-.

When the fans in this market can show a consistent understanding of what companies do to meet the demand, and not formulate its opinions on a clear entitlement issue, then I'll change my attitude, but they must make the first move.

I'm so sick of the "AoA is going to ruin R1" rhetoric banter, especially when they believe our existing R1 is going to take notes and follow suit (because they clearly "understand" the R1 market).

I don't profess to be an economics expert, but I know enough to see with my own two eyes both AoA (and Aniplex, while we're at it) and our current R1 distributors know this market better than those it serves.

A free market allows AoA to walk in with its products and demand a price, and it should not have to consider what current R1 companies are doing. It doesn't have to.

Clearly, you recognize this. However, you close your post with questions that are clearly one-sided, which makes your credibility a bit shaky as well.

Who the hell cares about their profitability? If they're doing good, then it's common sense to believe they're not going to stop with their pricing model. If they're doing bad, then common sense tells us they'll leave the R1 market, solving the problem of pricing, but leaving a possibility some titles will never see R1 (*cough* Bandai).

I'll be fair and honest here: the biggest reason I see these posts as nothing more than whiny entitlement is because people are ignoring the facts present to them, which is these title are selling. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if there were a limited number of products produced, and if this didn't meet the "better discount" from press houses, the increase in price is justified, even if it's "absurd" by many R1 fan's belief.

I can relate to people's objecting of these prices if they were common across the R1 landscape, but they're not. Just because one can't get this particular title isn't justification to call out price gouging when other titles can be purchased which they choose not to buy because they don't like the title.

Well, that's my two cents. We can hash out economic theory all we want, but to me, this discussion reminds me of all the piracy bullshit we hear despite evidence to the contrary it has little impact to prevent companies from doing business.

Especially when we hear Shawne state sales are ... *gasp* ... growing.

That's expected because R1 "understands", right?
Wink

PS: sorry my post came off condescending. I did try to correlate the statements with the perceived opinions this discussion carried, but I suppose the tone was unavoidable, simply because it already carried itself as being opposed to the general discussion's "attitude" of "Burn AoA at the stake!".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Price gouging is a price set when no alternatives are present in the same market, and our very R1 existence makes the use of "price gouging" absurd.

But there is no other alternative if you want to own a legal, physical copy of an AoA title (as distinct from merely watching the show). As a consumer, my only options for owning a legal copy of Bakemonogatari are 1) pay AoA's price or 2) go pound sand, as my Dad likes to say.

I have already outlined the various advantages that allows AoA to escape some of the market forces that bind other R1 distribs, such as the fact that, as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Japanese parent company that actually produces these titles, they are under no requirement to show an immediate profit, etc. It is completely their right to utilize all the advantages they have, but it still all adds up to them being able to charge substantially more for Title A than if some other R1 distrib had Title A. That's why I believe the term price-gouging applies.

Quote:
If anything, we can claim R1 is price gouging the market by delivering goods which constantly demand that magical price point, such as subtitle only products having the same MRSP as its more expensive-to-produce dubbed product.

But yet, people don't complain about that. Nor do they complain about the increasing two-part collections, which now increase those prices despite others being sold as a whole unit.

I am not aware of any R1 distrib who charges the same MRSP for its sub-only titles as it does for its hybrid products.

As for the rest of your comments, I would certainly never argue that every anime fan understands precisely how the R1 distribution market operates; my point was merely that some of us who don't like AoA prices were not speaking from a place of ignorance.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We're at a disagreement here because many (note: not all) posters clearly do not understand their own market.

Indeed you don't.

Quote:
This is why I made the blanket statement, because it's not price gouging. It's taking advantage of a free market, and yes, Blood-, there is a difference.

Latching on to semantics now? They are increasing the cost of something without warrant other than the fact they want to and they can. Fine, don't even call it price gouging, call it whatever the hell you want, but that doesn't change what it is.

Quote:
What's staggering is this same audience then turns itself onto Sentai's recent distribution list of upcoming titles. Are you really going to convince me this is a group that understands its markets when they're declaring doom and gloom because Sentai's over-saturating the market? Not going to happen, Blood-.

Oh sure, when everyone becomes a collective then you'll have a point, but this is a classic example of trying to implement a base where individual matters are present.
Quote:
When the fans in this market can show a consistent understanding of what companies do to meet the demand, and not formulate its opinions on a clear entitlement issue, then I'll change my attitude, but they must make the first move.

Need I remind you that insults are not allowed. Implying that this is all about entitlement is not only blatantly false, but insulting to those in the camp upset with AoA's practices as a whole. The sheer fact of the matter is they are inflating prices drastically with no real product gain or justification for the increase. They are offering little to nothing more for 2 to 3 times the price, sometimes even more.

Quote:
A free market allows AoA to walk in with its products and demand a price, and it should not have to consider what current R1 companies are doing. It doesn't have to.

You're right, it doesn't have to, that does not justify it or in any way counter the points people are making by calling them out on this however. Your point is useless and contributes nothing beyond the very basest of understanding of a free market which has never been disputed.

Quote:
I'll be fair and honest here: the biggest reason I see these posts as nothing more than whiny entitlement is because people are ignoring the facts present to them, which is these title are selling. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if there were a limited number of products produced, and if this didn't meet the "better discount" from press houses, the increase in price is justified, even if it's "absurd" by many R1 fan's belief.

Insults again. The only point you just made is that it is Aniplex that has the sense of entitlement, as nothing you presented made a case towards the contrary.

Quote:
I can relate to people's objecting of these prices if they were common across the R1 landscape, but they're not. Just because one can't get this particular title isn't justification to call out price gouging when other titles can be purchased which they choose not to buy because they don't like the title.

Irrelevant and pointless statement. When one company is inflating the price with no cause and offering nothing more then people are entirely justified to call them out on it. Who are you to tell people what they can and can't call out and dislike. And yet they are the ones with the "sense of entitlement"?

Quote:
Especially when we hear Shawne state sales are ... *gasp* ... growing.

That's expected because R1 "understands", right?

Growing compared to what? What are the margins? Are even the growing numbers sustainable? A sound bite "everything is good" statement amounts to absolutely zero, anyone that "understands" this market knows that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Nor do they complain about the increasing two-part collections, which now increase those prices despite others being sold as a whole unit.

In addition to what others have said, this is completely false. Twelve to thirteen episode sets for initial releases have been the norm for Funi, Sentai, and NIS ever since the switch to sets. With only a few exceptions, the only time longer series get complete releases is when they are rereleases and/or license rescues. That goes for your earlier Shana example as well. Of course Shana Season 2 is going to be released in half season sets. It's a title we've never seen in R1 before. However, season 1 was rereleased under the Geneon/Funi agreement and then license rescued and rereleased again by Funi. Geneon originally released the series as six single volumes. Comparing rereleases and initial releases is an apples and oranges comparison at best and totally dishonest at worst.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
You can write a multi page synopsis on aniplex's pricing but it all comes down to 2 words-bullshit. Are you willing to pay their prices or not? If no then simply don't but any of their releases, if so then do and stop complaining.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
You can write a multi page synopsis on aniplex's pricing but it all comes down to 2 words-bullshit. Are you willing to pay their prices or not? If no then simply don't but any of their releases, if so then do and stop complaining.

Nah. It's a topic that interests me so I'll write what I feel like about it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Latching on to semantics now? They are increasing the cost of something without warrant other than the fact they want to and they can. Fine, don't even call it price gouging, call it whatever the hell you want, but that doesn't change what it is.
Except for a few statute uses, "price gouging" only means "they're charging more than I care for". It's a complaint, not a fact.
Quote:
Need I remind you that insults are not allowed. Implying that this is all about entitlement is not only blatantly false, but insulting to those in the camp upset with AoA's practices as a whole. The sheer fact of the matter is they are inflating prices drastically with no real product gain or justification for the increase. They are offering little to nothing more for 2 to 3 times the price, sometimes even more.
Says you. Not everyone shares your valuations; anyone who buys one of their sets clearly feels what they're offering is worth the price asked. As for justification, read the interview with their president: low prices didn't grow the market. Therefore, they're going another way.
Quote:
You're right, it doesn't have to, that does not justify it or in any way counter the points people are making by calling them out on this however. Your point is useless and contributes nothing beyond the very basest of understanding of a free market which has never been disputed.
They decided how things werre going wasn't working well enough and they felt they could do better. That's justification enough for trying, whereas some of these complaints are merely about them having the temerity to upset the status quo(which they really haven't).
Quote:
Insults again. The only point you just made is that it is Aniplex that has the sense of entitlement, as nothing you presented made a case towards the contrary.
No it doesn't - nothing he said makes that point in the least. This whining is entirely about AoA's goods not sharing a price level with the other distributors - in other words, it's about the whiners feeling entitled to the price level.
Quote:
Irrelevant and pointless statement. When one company is inflating the price with no cause and offering nothing more then people are entirely justified to call them out on it. Who are you to tell people what they can and can't call out and dislike. And yet they are the ones with the "sense of entitlement"?
Again, you present your judgement as if it were fact. It's one thing to say you don't like their prices - it's self-entitled whining to claim they must keep theirs in line with the one you're used to.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Except for a few statute uses, "price gouging" only means "they're charging more than I care for". It's a complaint, not a fact.

Rolling Eyes Well, if it will help ease your super literalist mind, then how about figuring out that we are using price-gouging as a term to describe a situation where one distributor, thanks to its protected status as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Japanese parent company that actually produces the titles it sells, is pricing some of its products way above territory norms. When it does that, a consumer cannot go to a competitor to get that item since it has the exclusive right to sell that title in the territory. If it helps you to figure out why we use the term "price gouging" to describe this situation, consider that when companies call a person who downloads or streams some IP without permission or paying for it a "pirate" they don't ACTUALLY mean that person is on the high seas taking over other vessels. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Not everyone shares your valuations; anyone who buys one of their sets clearly feels what they're offering is worth the price asked. As for justification, read the interview with their president: low prices didn't grow the market. Therefore, they're going another way.

Both those statements are ridiculous. I purchased all three PMMM LE sets because I wanted them, but I don't feel they were "worth" the price I paid. I felt that even before they were in my possession. I knew I was being overcharged, but I wanted the extras that weren't available with the other versions. There is a huge difference between reluctantly paying a price when there is no other consumer choice available (except not to buy at all) and "clearly feeling they are worth the price asked."

I knew pro-AoAers would jump all over Henry Goto's no growth comment. The guy is smart, I'll give him that. Too bad pro-AoAers can't figure out that his remark has zero to do with AoA's pricing policies. Its pricing policies are dictated by the nature of its setup, not the nature of the NA market. It is a tiny, 5-person operation. It's an experiment. It doesn't have the capacity to follow a mass-market approach like a Funi or a Sentai (i.e. selling products in b&m stores and a wide range of online retailers as opposed to just a few). Because of its setup and because it is not subject to market forces the way an independently owned company is, it can get away with a high price / low volume strategy. Why do you think Funi and Sentai don't follow that model? Do you think they aren't just as aware as Henry Goto is that the market didn't grow when prices lowered? Of course they are. But they also realize the obvious: lower prices may not grow the market, but trying to follow AoA's model would destroy the market. Only a small handful of collectors would be left.

Quote:
They decided how things werre going wasn't working well enough and they felt they could do better. That's justification enough for trying, whereas some of these complaints are merely about them having the temerity to upset the status quo(which they really haven't)

Again, another typical pro-AoAer dismissal of our real complaint. People aren't pissed because of some "upsetting of the status quo" - they're pissed because AoA is offering titles they want and can't get anywhere else for prices that are considerably higher than the ones charged by any other R1 distrib. Full stop. Hey, it's cool if you or anyone else feels differently, but at least have the intellectual honesty to acknowledge what our side's complaint really is instead of some dumb strawman argument.

Quote:
No it doesn't - nothing he said makes that point in the least. This whining is entirely about AoA's goods not sharing a price level with the other distributors - in other words, it's about the whiners feeling entitled to the price level.

Ah yes, the ever reliable "entitled whining" dismissal. There is nothing "entitled" about complaining that a company that has an exclusive license for a product that we want is vastly overcharging for that title compared to if ANY other company had the exclusive license for that product. That is simply normal, understandable, logical consumer behaviour. What are we supposed to say, "Oh thank God I get to pay 200% more for Bakemonogatari because AoA is distributing it as opposed to NISA!!!" Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Again, you present your judgement as if it were fact. It's one thing to say you don't like their prices - it's self-entitled whining to claim they must keep theirs in line with the one you're used to.

Yep, another typical mischaracterization of Keonyn's words. Nowhere does he say that AoA MUST keep its prices in line with other distribs. He, like myself, fully understands they have a complete right to charge any price they want. What he is saying is that those of us who complain about their prices are justified in doing so. Something that the pro-AoA side refuses to acknowledge, of course.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Rolling Eyes Well, if it will help ease your super literalist mind, then how about figuring out that we are using price-gouging as a term to describe a situation where one distributor, thanks to its protected status as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Japanese parent company that actually produces the titles it sells, is pricing some of its products way above territory norms. When it does that, a consumer cannot go to a competitor to get that item since it has the exclusive right to sell that title in the territory.
Then take it up with the government - they're the ones legislating the monopoly. You certainly don't see people who don't like it when Sentai gets a title complain nearly as loudly.
Quote:
If it helps you to figure out why we use the term "price gouging" to describe this situation, consider that when companies call a person who downloads or streams some IP without permission or paying for it a "pirate" they don't ACTUALLY mean that person is on the high seas taking over other vessels. Rolling Eyes
So you're deliberately mislabeling things in order to make your complaints look more justified? You might want to pick your analogies better. Wink
Quote:
Both those statements are ridiculous. I purchased all three PMMM LE sets because I wanted them, but I don't feel they were "worth" the price I paid. I felt that even before they were in my possession. I knew I was being overcharged, but I wanted the extras that weren't available with the other versions. There is a huge difference between reluctantly paying a price when there is no other consumer choice available (except not to buy at all) and "clearly feeling they are worth the price asked."
Proclaiming a thing does not make it so. You even state it yourself: you felt that the money you would've saved choosing a cheaper edition, or forgoing the product completely, was worth less than owning the LE. Yes, your revealed preference is completely contradicted by your stated preference(and perhaps even your true ex post facto evaluation), but nobody makes a trade without anticipating being better off. This is simple economic fact; there's no room for negotiation.
Quote:
I knew pro-AoAers would jump all over Henry Goto's no growth comment. The guy is smart, I'll give him that. Too bad pro-AoAers can't figure out that his remark has zero to do with AoA's pricing policies. Its pricing policies are dictated by the nature of its setup, not the nature of the NA market. It is a tiny, 5-person operation. It's an experiment. It doesn't have the capacity to follow a mass-market approach like a Funi or a Sentai (i.e. selling products in b&m stores and a wide range of online retailers as opposed to just a few). Because of its setup and because it is not subject to market forces the way an independently owned company is, it can get away with a high price / low volume strategy. Why do you think Funi and Sentai don't follow that model? Do you think they aren't just as aware as Henry Goto is that the market didn't grow when prices lowered? Of course they are. But they also realize the obvious: lower prices may not grow the market, but trying to follow AoA's model would destroy the market. Only a small handful of collectors would be left.
Objection! Assumes facts not in evidence. For all you know it's simply a matter of not wanting to alienate their customers(AoA didn't have any to worry about) or simple conservatism. That Funimation's playing with higher-end sets suggests they're paying attention, so we may see other distributors try it out as streaming wears down the disc market.
Quote:
Again, another typical pro-AoAer dismissal of our real complaint. People aren't pissed because of some "upsetting of the status quo" - they're pissed because AoA is offering titles they want and can't get anywhere else for prices that are considerably higher than the ones charged by any other R1 distrib. Full stop. Hey, it's cool if you or anyone else feels differently, but at least have the intellectual honesty to acknowledge what our side's complaint really is instead of some dumb strawman argument.
Let me just quote myself:
Polycell wrote:
[S]ome of these complaints are merely about them having the temerity to upset the status quo(which they really haven't)
Yes, there are those who take the time to think out their position, but there have also been those who'd rage even if the discs were made with solid gold just because of the price tag.
Quote:
Ah yes, the ever reliable "entitled whining" dismissal. There is nothing "entitled" about complaining that a company that has an exclusive license for a product that we want is vastly overcharging for that title compared to if ANY other company had the exclusive license for that product. That is simply normal, understandable, logical consumer behaviour. What are we supposed to say, "Oh thank God I get to pay 200% more for Bakemonogatari because AoA is distributing it as opposed to NISA!!!" Rolling Eyes
You say I misrepresent you and then you... turn around and misrepresent me? Nobody said you should be grateful for the higher pricetag, but you've got nothing to base your claim of overcharging on except the average price level. But then there are those who charge well above the average in some of the most commoditized markets and have done so for years(or even decades) because they've figured out how to target their products right. Maintaining those higher prices(and fatter profit margins) involves disregarding some of your potential market. Just as Ferrari chose to disregard most of the auto market, Aniplex is disregarding the won't-pay-$50-for-a-complete-series part of the anime market. Does this make their releases overpriced? No, it just means they're targeting a higher price bracket.

And ultimately, this is what you're complaining about: AoA isn't targeting the price bracket you feel they should - the one so many seem to feel entitled to.
Quote:
Polycell wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
Yep, another typical mischaracterization of Keonyn's words. Nowhere does he say that AoA MUST keep its prices in line with other distribs. He, like myself, fully understands they have a complete right to charge any price they want. What he is saying is that those of us who complain about their prices are justified in doing so. Something that the pro-AoA side refuses to acknowledge, of course.
No, he's explicitly saying AoA's prices are unjustifiable("no cause and offering nothing more"). This, of course, completely ignores everybody who feels the "nothing more" they offer is justification enough for the higher prices. And of course, those willing to pay their prices for simply the show itself are better off when the normal prices wouldn't earn enough to justify the licensing cost.

For my closing note, not everybody who isn't anti-AoA is for them. I do hope that the other distributors try their hands at the price for series that would otherwise stay stranded in Japan, but I don't have any special attachment to them. I'm only participating here because the anti-AoA arguments are in desperate need of a reality check.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4