• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Miracle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
All righty then, maybe if I have the time. It wasn't the biker angle that was idiotic to me so much as the "people are becoming monsters and only someone with monstrous power can stop them!" thing which has been done to death. Add to that lousy CG plus no likable characters...

The "done to death" part you hated pretty much drops out of the show right away -- though it is a background element for the first couple episodes, it's far from the series' main focus. As for the CG and likability of the characters, your mileage my vary there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Rather liked their Gurren Lagann dub, despite obviously only having a handful of voice-actors.

I'm watching the dub of episode five right now, and so far the only voices I'm liking are Rossiu's, Gimmy's, and Darry's. There's also some bizarre things going on with the translation (such as Kamina saying the words 'planetoid' and 'vertebrae' in the space of ten seconds).

Oh wow, I've got to admit it's got balls though. Yoko just said "Religion makes people stupid."

Last edited by Big Hed on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I wasn't expecting this. I liked both Blassreiter and Shounen Onmyouji, and from what I can tell, they've been fairly well received by fans and reviewers alike (until now of course). Oh well....

Nice shelves (and posters) this week. I envy your Dachshund, as mine is really fat. Sad
Hotaru99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
animenewsnetwork.com/review/blassreiter/dvd-part-1

Roflmao?

Somehow, I don't think it's too great for the consumer to have two completely different/opposite/black&white reviews on the same site; a professional venue at that. =_=;;

Not trying to sound like a prick....but I honestly can't base a purchase decision regarding that DVD set based on what's here. Something really needs to be done with the recent review static storms that have been cropping up around here...

Honestly, in this day and age, reviews are really more about looking for technical issues- what features a dvd might have, any glitches and stuff like that. Reviews are now and always have been simply one person's opinion. I've agreed with a few from this site, disagreed with a lot, but thats just the nature of opinion.

Before buying a show, I ignore reviews entirely. I go and try to find (legit) streamed episodes, trailers or other examples of the show for anime, and manga, just flip through it in the store to see if it appeals to me. And so far, I've only been burned mabye three times.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Dragon buttons hmmmm? Well well, could we by any chance be similar to yours truly when it comes to dragons in anime, dear Erin? Makes me wonder what dragon-related anime and manga you know about Wink

Dragon Half!
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
I don't think it's too great for the consumer to have two completely different/opposite/black&white reviews on the same site.

Maybe some of you are too young to remember Gene Siskel. Siskel and Ebert used to give "Thumbs up" or "Thumbs down" in the same TV show and newspaper, so readers could draw a better conclusion. If you thought one of them was nuts, but the other had tastes that aligned with yours, it was easy to tell if you'd like a movie. It was a great gimmick, and very popular.

pparker wrote:
As mentioned, taking into account the formats (column vs. review) and the reviewers, one with whom we have a lot of experience, the other not so much, I don't find them black and white at all. I come away from both with close to the same impression.

Thanks for being a voice of sanity! No one I knows goes by the opinion of just one reviewer. Usually my friends will check Rotten Tomatoes versus the Onion AV Club or something.

I have these two friends, Dan and Adan (they moved away, but...) if they both liked the same movie, I'd usually hate that movie. If only Adan liked it, I'd probably like it too. If only Dan liked it, I'd hate it. I think if they both hated it, it would be a movie I loved. It took a while to figure out the formula.

jgreen wrote:
I've been known to judge shows by the first episode, too, but this is one where you really can't do it. The first episode is almost NOTHING like the rest of the show [....] This isn't a case of "It gets good at episode 20!" so much as "It gets good at episode 2!" Given the availability of free streams, I'd say at least give the 2nd ep a shot before writing off the show entirely.

I super-hated the first episode, but there were better episodes later in the series. Episode two wasn't so great either. I think if you don't like the first two or three you know what you're in for.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I remember thinking Blassreiter looked really lame when Funimation showed the trailer at Anime Weekend Atlanta...

The art was pretty good though. But then again, unless you're willing to give the anime a chance, it will always look lame.
Daimao Raki wrote:
Blassreiter sucks that much? Lol, I saw like two episodes and wanted to see more. Maybe I should view more on Funi's video channel before I decide to buy.

No, actually, the first episodes are the worst. So, if you liked them, you're sure to enjoy the rest, as this series is much better after the first half.
TheTheory wrote:
As far as Blassreiter is concerned, I've heard nothing good about it. Still, the description of that opening episode is hilarious, so when the series hits the cheapo scene (and it will), I'll pounce on it, too. I've enjoyed poorly rated series before.

I recommend you to look up Theron's review on Blassreiter. Sincerely, I found Erin's views on Blassreiter to be so prejudiced it made my eyes hurt. No offense. Well, I guess our tastes just don't match.

But don't forget, you can always check it for free at CR.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
The final rating you gave Miracle Train just seems... dishonest. Almost superficial in fact -- as if you don't want to be caught watching it.

You're right, I don't want to be caught watching it. I hate myself for loving it?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
Not to mention, the entire show is REALLY one big advertisement for using Tokyo's subway trains. They always say things like, "You can't bring in a bag this size! In fact, did you know that you can only bring in luggage that is XXcm by XXcm?" Or, "Shiodome, you're so young!" "Of course! After all, my station only first opened in 2002!" While the trivia is, uh... interesting, it gets incredibly in the way of whatever time and writing they could have spent on actually MAKING A STORY. They frequently go off to areas of Tokyo that are connected to the Oedo line's train stations, and then give you a big damned cultural and history lesson on the location (again, instead of actually developing their characters).

Sounds smashing. More people need to appreciate the intricacies of rail networks, and this could well be the franchise to increase the number of aficionados. Not everybody is wooed by train simulators, so I welcome alternative approaches such as this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Sincerely, I found Erin's views on Blassreiter to be so prejudiced it made my eyes hurt. No offense. Well, I guess our tastes just don't match.

That's funny, because Blassreiter made my eyes hurt.
Astribulus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Given the rest of your Shonen Onmyouji review, I was probably going to give it a pass. However, this line alone would have warded me off:

Quote:
It's unfortunate, but after a while, I really wanted to see a fighting tournament to pick up the pace.

There's slow, and then there's glacial. If a grind-the-series-to-a-halt fighting tournament would actually speed things up, I'm amazed you made it through this one.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Rather liked their Gurren Lagann dub, despite obviously only having a handful of voice-actors.

Oh wow, I've got to admit it's got balls though. Yoko just said "Religion makes people stupid."

Yeah, given that we have "heck" substituting for "hell" and "darn it" for "damn it" (seems to be part of Animax's BS&P), having one of the heroes make an atheist statement was pretty bold. You'd think it would've been rewritten somehow.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
As for the CG and likability of the characters, your mileage my vary there.

Well, by bad CG I meant it didn't really match with the 2D art. Both were excellent on their own, but did not merge well together. That might have been excusable back in the days of, say, Last Exile, but go watch RideBack and see how much better that looks (I know, it's only in fansubs, but you don't have to keep them, and you can use IRC to download so you don't distribute).
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Dragon Half!

Dragon Half!

That's a good exclamation point, right?
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
But then again, unless you're willing to give the anime a chance, it will always look lame.

Sweetheart, I could give it a zillion chances... But that CGI would still stick out like a sore thumb. And not even the best story in the world would be able to save it from looking lame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5