• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bakemonogatari Vol. 4 Blu-ray Sells 48,000 in 1st Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dayjobdeluxe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Well anyway, I think it is safe to say the silent majority loves Bakemonogatari. I loved the show regardless of animation cuts, because I could not find nothing wrong with the show otherwise. It is just a silly debate and you someone will win on the internet, right?
I'm pretty sure everyone needs to take some Refrain and relax in disillusioned worlds where they are right (both sides).
But that's just me.
Koji98

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:
Personally, I find his ability to make 10 minutes of talking heads not so abhorrently boring to be quite noteworthy. Not to say he's always amazing (*cough* Tale of Melodies *cough*), but he's managed to keep things interesting and sell some merchandise in the process.

Shin Onuma directed both Ef anime series, not Shinbo.
yellow ledbetter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Would love to see this come stateside but I sort of doubt that it will be as a show like this would be a localization nightmare.
swienke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Yellow Ledbetter wrote:
Would love to see this come stateside but I sort of doubt that it will be as a show like this would be a localization nightmare.

Actually, considering how massively popular it is in Japan, and how much hype it's gotten on English-language forums, I'd be surprised if it didn't come here. Yeah, localization would be pretty hard due to all the different kanji references and so on, but I'm sure there are series out there that were even harder to localize that made it.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
Koji98 wrote:

I give you a 5/10 purely for effort.

I really enjoyed this show, even having it as my number one show of last year, but i still find it a bit weird that it's doing this great in sales. Never would have thought it'd be this popular when I watched it.

I give you a 1 / 10 just for the hell of it.

Bakemonogatari has... kuudere(tundra), a lesbian(who wouldn't mind having an intercourse with the main character, and also yaoi fan), iincho(meganekko w/ pajama), loli kohai(w/ bruma n skumizu), and two imoutos.

I bet most of the [s]otaku[/s] people bought it for those alone.

But, no doubt Bakemonogatari is indeed an outlier from the norm. [/b]
Togame

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Bakemonogatari has... kuudere(tundra), a lesbian(who wouldn't mind having an intercourse with the main character, and also yaoi fan), iincho(meganekko w/ pajama), loli kohai(w/ bruma n skumizu), and two imoutos.

Just speak English.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:09 am Reply with quote
Togame wrote:
Just speak English.

A cold girl who eventually warms up and shows her more sentimental side (although only in her own weird way); a bixsexual girl; a girl with glasses wearing pyjamas; a rather young girl who idolises/looks up to Koyomi and who wears bloomers and a school swimsuit; two sisters.

Er, don't ask me how I know all of that . . .
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote
domino wrote:
I wish buyers would stop supporting these kinds of lazy practices (like Haruhi 2) and go buy a series that actually spent time on animation and storytelling that go beyond "look, cute girls!".

Since that is what you want, why don't you go do that? I take it you have money,

I'll spend my money on stuff I want, such as more anime like Nadeko Snake.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
domino wrote:
I wish buyers would stop supporting these kinds of lazy practices (like Haruhi 2) and go buy a series that actually spent time on animation and storytelling that go beyond "look, cute girls!".

Since that is what you want, why don't you go do that? I take it you have money,

I'll spend my money on stuff I want, such as more anime like Nadeko Snake.

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Pedestrian A wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case.

Oh, yeah. Thanks for keeping us updated, mister lawyer. What case was it anyway? All you've been doing was to bash Bakemonogatari. But, yes, you certainly have to disagree with the man's taste, as if you were god. Well, never mind.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Pedestrian A wrote:

It's funny, because you repeatedly fail to correctly imitate those you are mocking: Tundra should be tsundere. Bruma should buruma. Skumizu should be sukumizu. Kuudere and tsundere are two different things.

Try not to be such an ignoramus.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Hitagi sort of was a Kuudere at the start, and then once she met Koyomi she became a very interesting sort of Tsundere.

Just saying.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
heh, seems so easy to me... did the story grab you? Then the news is good.

If the story didn't , then it kinda doesn't matter how it looks, eh? Why is it so difficult?

If you like something else, then? :tops: Razz I just can't figure out why people bag on a show they hate... It's not like anyone tied you down [well, monkeygirl might]...

ESPECIALLY since you can't even get this in the US, without finding a fansub.

Oddly, I got quite used to the wierd unfinished scenes, since I have seen a lot of strange underground films, and Science Fiction films without their CGI finished, as a beta test. I thought particularly in the snake eps. the inability to see what was happeneing increased the tension quite a bit...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ dunno that we'll ever get this here, though I would be happy. It is astonishingly expensive in Japan, even at those sales figures. What I am happy about is that it is a bright spot in an industry that needs one, which keeps people employed and so forth...
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I do hope it is picked up in America and elsewhere. Surely those sales figures would convince a distributor/licensor that yes it is a profitable venture. I mean, if 48,000 copies sold of the Blu-Ray release won't convince anyone to pick up a title then I don't know what will.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Bakemonogatari was...(quoting Yuki Nagato from Haruhi Suzumiya) "Unique" Very Happy

And thats why it sold
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4