• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Addresses Dance in the Vampire Bund Edits

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
gokuthamonkeyking wrote:
well... at least Funi is keeping its word on Strike Witches on being "uncut and uncensored".

until someone complains or gets arrested *cobra commander voice* "we must censor everything for the good of the children!!!"
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
So, the two reasons Dance in the Vampire's Bund's getting edited are:

1) They noticed some "unappropriate" loli's in it.

or

2) They noticed some people in various forums complaining about loli's in it and decided to edit it.

Not cool, man. Not cool.

Guess I'll have to wait for at least a year after FUNi's DVD release until they're re-released in VC or S.A.V.E. before I can decide to buy it. Sad
Dan297na

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
Dan297na wrote:
Well, I am done with funimation then. I refuse to buy anything from anyone who engages in censorship of any kind.

Sadly, Funimation has what, a 50+% stake in the anime market? You'd run out of stuff to watch pretty quick.

But yeah, this is one series I was originally planning on buying when I heard it got licensed. Then I wake up today and see this news. I'm already following the manga, so that will just have to do until funi drops the edits and releases an uncensored version. I'm not 9 years old. I don't need someone determining what is ok for me to watch or not.

Which is why I will have to watch anime in other ways. I hate doing that and have been a big supported of the R1 anime market for a while now(have spent thousands of dollars on DVDs and Blurays over the years) but I absolutely refuse to support anyone who is involved in censorship. I will still continue to buy from the few remaining other companies, but sadly, unless Funimation changes their mind, I will no longer buy anything from them.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
BTW, I know some will be pissed off, but I'll say it anyway: THIS is one of the reason fansubs are better: free from any kind of censorship.

Yes, there may be reasons, but it does not matter, all it matters is the end result: R1 DVD: censored, R2 DVD: uncensored.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Re-reading Funimation's statement is confusing me even more.

Quote:
[...] we have determined the series contains controversial elements which, when taken out of context, could be objectionable to some audiences.

Some audiences? Could be? I realize Funimation's been trying to reach a larger demographic, but I doubt this series was ever going to be aired on TV or anything. This announcement just seems so arbitrary to me. I mean, I find certain "elements" of their other shows (like, I dunno, RIN or something) to be objectionable. So you know what? I DON'T BUY THEM.

Quote:
These are scenes which are inappropriate for U.S. viewing and are not essential to the storyline.

So we went from "could be objectionable to some audiences" to "inappropriate for U.S. viewing"? Says who? This is the bit that sticks in my craw. I've never even watched Vampire Bund, but having a company decide for me what is or is not "appropriate" really rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited by neocloud9 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I had no desire to see this show (every time I read that a new vampire property is announced -- animated or otherwise -- I want to slam my head into my keyboard), but if I did, I sure wouldn't want some sanitized, reactionary version of it. I hate to say this about any R1 distributor, but I honestly hope Funimation fails with this one.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
hitokiriizo wrote:
let the handley case fallout begin! Confused

I agree. This is clearly due to the Handley decision imo.

If you're going to censor a title on DVD release and not offer an uncut version, then don't license it imo.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Anyone seen Daughters of RIN? How did they handle that one because there was a character in a similar vein to Mina as an adult in child's body, and she mostly definitely got into a sexual situation.
gokuthamonkeyking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
Anyone seen Daughters of RIN? How did they handle that one because there was a character in a similar vein to Mina as an adult in child's body, and she mostly definitely got into a sexual situation.

they did slap a M rated on it... so i guess its a tad different when it involves "adults" instead of "lolis".
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
We cannot stand for this improper justce! This must be made aware! We need to get the word out! Cry it out to the street! Make signs! Post videos! Call our local state senators! Rally people together! Storm on Washington DC! Let them hear our cries! Our passions! Our liberty! We will not stand for this, Obama! We will not stand idly by while our favorite mature cartoon shows that are professionally owned by another country across the Pacific become censorly butchered by a greedy, corrupt company that pays huge overseas shipping and handling fees to take away our liberty to see prepubescent girls naked on our DVD copies that we stole from Netflix because it's too expensive to just pay thirty bucks for it on Buyit.com! OUR VOICES WILL BE HEARD! WE ARE STRONG! WE ARE UNITED!

Oh, Durarara!! is up. Gotta go.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
So is the content of Vampire Bund supposed to be worse/more extreme than Strike Witches? I wouldn't know, so I'm not yet certain whether this makes much objective sense.

Something some of you outraged folks are overlooking though--Funi isn't editing this. They compared the unedited version and the Japanese broadcast version and decided to go with the latter. You're getting what's on Japanese television.
Edit note: not actually true, it seems

I look forward to the inevitable "one edited show justifies my nihilistic piracy!" backlash regardless......

hikaru004 wrote:

If you're going to censor a title on DVD release and not offer an uncut version, then don't license it imo.

This makes a lot of sense to me. If you don't think that a show can stand on its own 100%, why grab it?

Last edited by GWOtaku on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. This story almost makes me want to download the fansubs of a show that I have no interest in, just to see what they plan on cutting out. Almost.
gokuthamonkeyking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
So is the content of Vampire Bund supposed to be worse/more extreme than Strike Witches? I wouldn't know, so I'm not yet certain whether this makes much objective sense.

Something some of you outraged folks are overlooking though--Funi isn't editing this. They compared the unedited version and the Japanese broadcast version and decided to go with the latter. You're getting what's on Japanese television.

I look forward to the inevitable "one edited show justifies my nihilistic piracy!" backlash regardless......

*ahem*

did you not read this part?

"With this in mind and with approval of the licensor, we will edit select scenes from the series in streaming and home entertainment release. These are scenes which are inappropriate for U.S. viewing and are not essential to the storyline."
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Why even license the damn thing at all if you're going to take a scalpel to it? I mean seriously, talk about not looking before you leap.

On the other hand if they can remove said borderline pedophilia scenes, which were damn creepy anyway, without killing the story then I wouldn't really wouldn't miss them or care.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
gokuthamonkeyking wrote:

did you not read this part?

I did see that, but I don't think it rules out them using the Japanese edits. I suppose there's room to interpret it as them possibly making further cuts, but that's not obvious to me.

Either way, the "Funi is dead to me!" stuff from here and there is an overreaction in my book.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 41