• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Chobits, Eden of the East Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation! You saved Chobits, now save the following!

Card Captor Sakura
Haibane Renmei
Serial Experiments Lain

All of these are Geneon-licensed titles.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
That rules. I already have Chobits, but the licenses of the Eden of the East movies and Spice and Wolf are freakin' awesome.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Ooh boy, Spice and Wolf 2! This means that I'll have to actually watch the first season of Spice and Wolf. But it's good news to hear that Funi is going back and licensing sequels to some of the series that they've started. Although it's not too surprising since it sounded like Spice and Wolf sold well for them.
Chobits will be a pass for me though, since I bought the singles and artbox from Geneon eons ago, and it's not good enough to warrant a double-dip.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Chobits: Nice, I can buy this cheap finally.

Eden of the East Movies: I'd have to watch the anime series first before I can give an opinion on this bit of news.

Spice and Wolf 2: HELL YEAH! I loved Season 1, I can't wait to watch Season 2 Anime smile!
maribeasteva2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Alright Funimation!

Just finished watching Spice and Wolf season 1 on youtube so i will definitely buy season 2. Smile

I've been on the fence on Eden of the East so i'll probably check it out. Confused

and its good to see Chobits come back. Exclamation
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good. I hope Eden of the East ends up being as big of a hit as they seem to think it's going to be.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
More titles that i don't care about! Nice going FUNi, seems that 2011 will be an almost FUNi-free year for me.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I've heard things about Chobits, so this will be interesting. No surprise on the Spice & Wolf II grab given how fast this series is flying off the shelves despite what MarioLookMaICanCount thinks.

Never heard of the EotE films at all. While always good news, any particular reason why the Familiar of Zero and Shana franchises remain untouched?

Well, 2011 is quite a bit off, so I'll probably long forget about this news until it's re-released to remind us.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
...also REALLY surprised that FUNImation has not tried to pick up the rest of the show yet (a dubbed version of Magical Project S would be really nice...)
I think Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari is still being released in Japan and VAP might be waiting until it's done before selling rights overseas.

And I wouldn't hold my breath for any Geneon Tenchi Muyo! re-releases (let alone Magical Project S) any time soon. Unless NBC Universal decides to estabish a "Geneon Universal USA," the only way to see Magical Project S is on Japanese Blu-ray or R2 DVD (in which case, you'll there will be no english subtitles or even an english dub).

Ever since Universal Japan aquired Geneon from dentsu, there has been a lockdown on all of their titles. The Geneon USA titles that were re-released or rescued were not licensed from Geneon Univeral, but from other producers of the title (Kadokawa, Gonzo, TBS Animation, Aniplex, etc).
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
As for Chobits, the East of Eden movies & Spice & Wolf II:

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to do some double-dipping (especially if FUNi's planning a Blu-ray release for all of them).
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Wait... the article was a little vague on whether or not Chobits will be getting a Blu-ray release. I would assume it will not simply because there isn't a Japanese equivalent master in HD quality... but FUN could just be up-scaling it.

Spice and Wolf II = F* YEAH!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Was not a Chobits fan, but I'm happy for the folks that like it. Really looking forward to EotE and S&WII.

As long as there are some wish lists on this posting I'll add.

ROD the TV
Kara no Kyoukai

A personal rant : Can someone please steal Kara from Del Rey and get the damn thing printed! I can only read A View from Above in Faust 1 so many times Smile
braves

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Leon Evolon wrote:
Wait... the article was a little vague on whether or not Chobits will be getting a Blu-ray release. I would assume it will not simply because there isn't a Japanese equivalent master in HD quality... but FUN could just be up-scaling it.
There's going to be a Blu-ray release for both Chobits and the EotE movies. So, Chobits will presumably be an upscale. The DVDs from Geneon looked just fine, so no upgrade for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
strike_zero00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Well glad to hear about Chobits license rescue, but never heard if japan release this in Bluray so this seems to be another Funi upscale which I'm hoping doesn't turn out bad or not even worth getting even though it would probably be sold cheap around $40-50 kinda like Claymore BD.
Anways since Eden of the East are getting the Bluray treatment why not Spice and Wolf, I'm pretty sure since the first season DVD was such a success in sales they should do BD release for both 1st and 2nd seasons since its actually native HD master!
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Funi announced Eden of the East last year, and I haven't heard anything about a release so far, so I'd be more excited about the films if I had the series. Already got Chobits, so I'm not real excited about the rest of these series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7