• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Living for the Day After Tomorrow DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
alpha_beta_angel wrote:

Reading the comments, I'm sad to hear the sub quality has not improved with errors still present. It is a shame as I believe that if a dub is not present more energy should be spent on improving the subs before release. It is great to see it has gotten a release though, more of the anime-viewing audience need to have this type of quality titles available to them.

Repeat: There are hardly any mistakes in the subtitles. In fact, I found it to have less grammar and spelling mistakes then the subs on Ouran (I know because that's the only way to watch that after what Funi did to it.) It's also considerably better than many of the subs I have seen on "Hollywood' releases. The quality of these have improved greatly from Sentai's earlier releases like Clannad and Princess Resurrection.

As far as the grammar, I don't see why it should be a big deal anyway. They are not translating a novel or magazine article. They are translating dialogue, and I have rarely heard dialogue in English or otherwise that is spoken with perfect grammar. Not to mention, the one character is actually a child. I don't see why she would be expected to have exact grammar when talking.

If this was a more expensive "LE" release, I could definitely see the complaints. It's not that I can't understand wanting a perfect product, especially when your putting your money towards it, but in this market, that's just not very likely. Every anime release we get today fails in one regard or another, depending on your standardsl, whether it be subs, video or sound quality, packaging, lack of dub, and let's not even get into the terrible blurays that have been dumped on us.

I'm not saying the subtitles are perfect, but making a big deal out of three mistakes over a twelve episode series is a bit much. To say they didn't put time into it, when they have clearly improved dramatically over earlier releases is just downright unfair.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Let's be clear here: when I talk about grammar mistakes, I'm most commonly talking about a word choice issue that was obviously a lack-of-editing issue rather than a translation issue, such as using "the" when it should clearly be "them." These are the hardest kinds of errors to catch in editing because they are not easily spottable (and your typical computer spell-checker won't catch them, either), but I know from extensive personal experience that with sufficient diligence it can be done.

And while three errors in a dozen episodes may not seem like much, countless subs have been put out over the years which had no such mistakes. Even that much is just sloppy work on a professional level.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skyhack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Saw this when it came out.
Very enjoyable show. When the transformation took place at the beginning, I thought it might go in the wrong direction, but it stayed clean and classy.
A little too much angst, but that's to be expected.
alpha_beta_angel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

I'm not saying the subtitles are perfect, but making a big deal out of three mistakes over a twelve episode series is a bit much. To say they didn't put time into it, when they have clearly improved dramatically over earlier releases is just downright unfair.

Was there really a need to quote me? I hardly made a "big deal" rather, it was a passing remark on sub quality in a post which was more about the show than the subs itself. And I did not say they "didn't put time into it" I was quoted in your post as saying "I believe that if a dub is not present more energy should be spent on improving the subs before release." that's my opinion, if there are flaws maybe more attention should be given for that to improve.

Key wrote:

And while three errors in a dozen episodes may not seem like much, countless subs have been put out over the years which had no such mistakes. Even that much is just sloppy work on a professional level.

Agreed.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but the backgrounds, most of which look like they were done in water color, leave a lot to be desired.
What is wrong with watercolours?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3