• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Licensed/dubbed anime - wishlist?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Thus, dear God, I pray that one day, some company realizes that Digimon is still beloved by many and completely deserves uncut box set releases with dual-language audio. Please lord. I really liked Tamers.

I would really like for this to happen too! I really want the first season of Digimon in my collection and uncut.

Other series I would like to see get dubs are :

Over Drive - I don't have high hopes for this one because it's about riding bicycles and if it hasn't been licensed yet it probably never will be. I really did enjoy this series and the characters very much and I'm sad I will never get to own it.

Natsume Yuujincho - I have higher hopes for this one getting licensed. It seems like a series that would appeal more to distributes. It's also a cute series and Natsume I thought was a fantastic protagonist.

School Days - I also don't have high hopes for this one, but I haven't counted it out either. This one may be a bit messed up and another slice of life show, but if they licensed When They Cry I think School Days also has a fighting chance.

*Edit - Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo! - Though it was only a decent series I enjoyed it enough to want it in my collection.

Last edited by kimbeey13 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
sonicdahedgie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
kimbeey13 wrote:
School Days - I also don't have high hopes for this one, but I haven't counted it out either. This one may be a bit messed up and another slice of life show, but if they licensed When They Cry I think School Days also has a fighting chance.

....But Higurashi had the advantage of, you know, being good. School days is only popular because of how ridiculous terrible it is, and for an ending that comes out of nowhere.
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
sonicdahedgie wrote:

....But Higurashi had the advantage of, you know, being good. School days is only popular because of how ridiculous terrible it is, and for an ending that comes out of nowhere.

I do agree that School Days is mostly popular for it's ending, but I wouldn't call it terrible. The game it is based on is known for it's 'bad endings' and they decided to go with that route for the anime. I did enjoy the series as a whole and part of it was due to the fact I thought the ending could happen in real life because of overly jealous and distraught girls, and an inconsiderate guy.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
*Only stuff that's at least 6 months old* I'd day one buy Kaiba, School Days, White Album, Time of Eve and Katanagatari. I'd get around to purchasing Real Drive, Zettai Karen Children, Dennou Coil, Toshokan Sensou, Minami-ke and Book of Bantorra.

sonicdahedgie wrote:

Meh. School Days is great especially if you're comparing it to Higurashi. Outside of the main character being a dick, which is the entire point and purpose of his design, what makes it a poorly made show in ways that matter like writing, voice acting, story, etc?
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
kimbeey13 wrote:

Well, School Days is currently airing at Crunchyroll, but the ending is kinda censored (used the censored TV version). Not to mention, the chances of someone picking up School Days for dubbing is quite slim for the reason that Crunchyroll is airing the series since it is really rare for someone to pick a series up that was aired at CR for DVD distribution, although I wouldn't say never (since Durarara!! was aired at Crunchyroll first which later Aniplex picked the series up to dub for DVD distribution).

But I do agree the chances would be really low when it comes R1 DVD distribution for pretty damn good reasons (lots of controversy surround a murder in Japan around the time when the last episode was about to air), but then again, that didn't them from getting Higurashi distributed with a dub in the United States (where that show had a similar controversy).
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I completely forgot to include Bartender on my list. I once talked to an ADV rep about this show at AnimeBoston a few year's back. He thought it would be hard to sell a show about alcohol and drinking to the American audience. BTW, no one ever gets drunk in this show. It's all about the mythos of alcohol and its place in our lives and memories.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Another vote for Saki here; I don't usually go in for sports/game type shows, but this was just so over the top I ended up enjoying myself quite a bit. Mahjong looks crazy complicated.

I haven't seen it but from the ANN previews, and what others have said about it, I would like to see Nyan Koi get a dub. It sounds like a sweet-natured comedy, and I'm a sucker for most things involving cats / catgirls.

Actually on that note, I'll take Asobi ni ikuyo as well; at almost 2/3 of the way through this has been the season's sleeper hit for me. Funny, genre-savvy and easy on the eye. A lot of fun.

Blood- wrote:
I would be absolutely floored if Qwaser got tapped.

Fnar.

Last edited by Shichimi on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I completely forgot to include Bartender on my list. I once talked to an ADV rep about this show at AnimeBoston a few year's back. He thought it would be hard to sell a show about alcohol and drinking to the American audience. BTW, no one ever gets drunk in this show. It's all about the mythos of alcohol and its place in our lives and memories.

You know, it's kind of weird that Japan is more open about drinking than America. Japan's drinking problem revolves around salarymen who work 9-5, in America it's just about everyone.

Sentai has picked up Samurai effing Harem but hasn't picked up Nyan Koi. I really would have thought Nyan Koi has a slightly bigger audience than Samurai Harem.
EricDent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Ramen Figher Miki: I am really surprised that this did not have a dub. I thought that Media Blasters usually does dub pretty much everything they put out. They dubbed it in Spanish, yet not in English?

Emma: A Victorian Romance: This one just makes NO sense, I know that Right Stuf is a small company, but come on! It's an anime set in Victorian London, and yet it had no dub (and is pretty darn expensive if you consider that fact)?

As for any "current" stuff, since I don't do the streams/torrent thing I can't really say. However I think they should dub the live action versions of Negima, Sailor Moon, and the upcoming BECK movie.

This next anime is not even made, but should be IMO. Yotsuba&! it would be 10 times funnier, 10 times cuter, and 10 times better than Azumanga Daioh, yet for some odd reason Azuma won't let anybody animate it? Azumanga sold pretty well in the US, and stuff like Lucky Star got made into anime. He said the reason that it won't get made is that "no body would get it" (or something like that). However there is stuff in Lucky Star, Strawberry Marshmallow, and others that are similar that they thought that "no one would get", yet they did pretty good IMO.
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:

Well, School Days is currently airing at Crunchyroll, but the ending is kinda censored (used the censored TV version). Not to mention, the chances of someone picking up School Days for dubbing is quite slim for the reason that Crunchyroll is airing the series since it is really rare for someone to pick a series up that was aired at CR for DVD distribution, although I wouldn't say never (since Durarara!! was aired at Crunchyroll first which later Aniplex picked the series up to dub for DVD distribution).

That's sad to hear! I didn't have to much hope for it because it seems like most of the things they are licensing are anime that are airing currently or just finished.

I would also like to see Letter Bee and Kobato licensed. Out of all the ones I have wished for so far I think Kobato is the only one that I'm nearly 100 percent sure to be licensed seeing as it is a Clamp series. I would also like for Persona: Trinity Soul to get a dub.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Sentai has picked up Samurai effing Harem but hasn't picked up Nyan Koi. I really would have thought Nyan Koi has a slightly bigger audience than Samurai Harem.

I don't think Nyan Koi was anything too special... not to argue that Samurai Harem is. Thing is though ecchi usually sells, or I am lead to believe that anyway. It's also possible that it didn't cost them much at all to license Samurai Harem, I'm not too sure cause im not too familiar with it.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Angel Beats! - Love anything done by Key and this series was pretty good (huge sucker for the art). One of my top ten favorites of 2010.

Don't think you have to wish hard on this one. It's too well-made, has too distinctive a pedigree, has too many fan-pleasing elements, and made too much of a presence in fandom for it to not get licensed. In fact, I'll be a bit surprised if we don't see an announcement before the end of the year.

Sometimes it seems some anime are "too good to be licensed," in that they're high-profile and the Japanese licensor is asking to high of a price. Bakemonogatari, for example. It was the highest selling TV anime of the last decade, yet there hasn't been a whiff of a possibility of it getting licensed. Unfortunately it often seems that R1 companies can make more consistent profit margins with cheap generic crap than the really big-name, and expensive to license, titles.

At least with Angel Beats! there's some indication that Aniplex of America is working on it's licensing (from their Otakon 2010 panel).
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I'll throw out a vote for KashiMashi: Girl Meets Girl. Sure, it is a yuri love triangle story, but given the major twist it has going for in the first episode spoiler[(the main character get killed by a crashing alien spaceship, they revive him, but he get turned into a female permanently in the process)], I'm sure Media Blasters could have promoted it purely on that alone and managed some good sales. Who knows, maybe they'll change their mind about dubbing it in the future, but I'm still happy to have my DVD set as is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Digimon- Graah! One of the most lively and well characterised shonen series in forever and a day can't garner enough interest to be licensed? It has an active, rabid fanbase, an entire generation of non-anime fans that will be nostalgic for it, and all stupid [expletive] funimation will do is stream the second season? That's just weak.

Sailor Moon- *wimper* I never got to see this.....

Kinnikuman/Ultimate Muscle
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Slam Dunk
Dr. Slump
Might Gaine
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I liked Saki too but I would be surprised that there would be a strong enough market for an english dub production.

I just saw the first episode of Sacred Blacksmith on ANN and would like to own an official dubbed version on DVD.

I would also like to have a dub upgrade on Simoun, which I have avoided buying due to its sub-only status.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13