• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ANN CEO Speaks on Oreimo Episode Leak

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theblackpaladin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Purple Panther wrote:
You can't say fansubs are useless. There are tons of shows out there that don't get simulcast that people would still like to watch subbed.

Back to the news post at hand, episode leaking is terrible. Fans need to learn patience.

Yeah, that they would still *like* to watch. They don't have to, and they are certainly not entitled to watch it!
SonicRenegade84

Paploo wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

Ok, now I KNOW i'm missing something here. I've never heard of fansubs being bad before, so when did this start happening?

Once fansubs went digital, things just sort of built up. Fansubbers who ignored requests not to sub their shows. Fansubbers who ignored when licenses were announced. People who just ripped legit releases and put them up on Youtube or their pirate websites. There's lots of nonlegit sites charging for subscriptions or making money off ads [which was what OneManga was doing until they were closed].

They don't pay the artists anything, and make tons of money off of naive fans who don't know that they're smacking around their favorite manga artists everytime they click on a new page, or that by watching "free" streams of shows on MarySue'sRandomIllegalStreamingSite rather then watching a free stream on ANN, CR, TANetwork or FUnimation, they're depriving the animators of much needed income, often while watching the *same* shows

I understand it when the show is licensed (i've known about that kind of pirating stuff for a while now) , but what about shows that are still unlicensed and showing in Japan? And how do fansub groups get money off stuff when groups like Chihiro and Coalguys say they do their subs for free?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

Purple Panther wrote:
You can't say fansubs are useless. There are tons of shows out there that don't get simulcast that people would still like to watch subbed.

What shows? Pretty much the entire current season is being streamed somewhere, same as last year, and I imagine more will be announced soon. Have some patience.

You don't *have* to watch those shows. It's not a right.
One random show not being simulcast isn't a free license to download everything. If people were more responsible it'd be one thing, but the vast majority of fandumb is NOT.

SonicRenegade84 wrote:

I understand it when the show is licensed (i've known about that kind of pirating stuff for a while now) , but what about shows that are still unlicensed and showing in Japan? And how do fansub groups get money off stuff when groups like Chihiro and Coalguys say they do their subs for free?

I was mostly referring to sites who then take the content they pirated and make a profit off it, like how MangaFox and OneManga have with pirated manga [there's anime sites of that sort, but I'm not going to link to them here]. They empower those criminal organizations by providing the content- I have no idea if any groups are involved with those sites, though MangaFox is infamous for having inhouse scanlation teams, as well as their habit of posting scans of licensed editions of titles upon request.

I imagine some fan translators do try to be responsible, but there's a lot of corruption out there, and that corruption is making it all something that we don't need anymore.
dtm42 wrote:
No. No. NO. We are NOT having a fansub debate here.

Anime got pirated. Anime companies suffered. Anime fans suffered.
Fansubs are a part of this, and the part of fandom that celebrates them is the sort that enables and encourages this sort of behaviour, and the culture that makes people attack ANN and Aniplex rather then attack the people who stole from their servers. It's all very anti-company, anti-creator, and that's why you see screeds about how it's totally ANN's fault. People see companies as the enemy, because some in fandom promote that belief.
If mods would rather I not talk about it, okay, but as far as I know, talking about the negative impacts of piracy is something that's pretty on topic when you have a news update about the horrific consequences of anime piracy.

[EDIT: Do not double or triple-post. Use the Edit button instead. ~Zalis]
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

I was mostly referring to sites who then take the content they pirated and make a profit off it, like how MangaFox and OneManga have with pirated manga [there's anime sites of that sort, but I'm not going to link to them here]. They empower those criminal organizations by providing the content- I have no idea if any groups are involved with those sites, though MangaFox is infamous for having inhouse scanlation teams, as well as their habit of posting scans of licensed editions of titles upon request.

I imagine some fan translators do try to be responible, but there's a lot of corruptiong out there, and that corruption is making it all something that we don't need anymore.

Yeah, i've stayed away from sites that present "free" stuff for a long time now. Everything that's licensed I buy manga or anime TBH. But when it came to shows that just came out and people were already translating it, that was what I thought wasn't a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Miitan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I guess that puts rest to the "the hacker changed the 1 to a 2" speculation.

Yeah, they changed the 1 to a 2 and then put the result into an rtmp dumper.

What will those hackers think of next?!
theblackpaladin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Paploo wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

Ok, now I KNOW i'm missing something here. I've never heard of fansubs being bad before, so when did this start happening?

Once fansubs went digital, things just sort of built up. Fansubbers who ignored requests not to sub their shows. Fansubbers who ignored when licenses were announced. People who just ripped legit releases and put them up on Youtube or their pirate websites. There's lots of nonlegit sites charging for subscriptions or making money off ads [which was what OneManga was doing until they were closed].

They don't pay the artists anything, and make tons of money off of naive fans who don't know that they're smacking around their favorite manga artists everytime they click on a new page, or that by watching "free" streams of shows on MarySue'sRandomIllegalStreamingSite rather then watching a free stream on ANN, CR, TANetwork or FUnimation, they're depriving the animators of much needed income, often while watching the *same* shows

Well, many fansubbers don't make money off of it, and they have used that fact to avoid persecution many times. The "Honor Argument": "We just do it so people can see shows, we make no money off of it." They are definitely not as bad as the people making money off of it, but they are still contributing to the industry's downfall. I know a lot of people say, "I buy the official version when it comes out"...but be honest for a second, how often does that really happen? I'm sure some people do, but a lot of people just say that and continue to watch fansubs.

If fansubbers are allowing people to watch something illegally, they are denying the original animation companies and the licensing companies the necessary funds to continue their normal operations. Anime may not always be made for money, but it is always made with money. If we don't want this industry to die, we need to accept that fact and watch our anime legally, either through buying the DVDs or watching the official simulcasts.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:

Paploo: I understand your position as an artist and content creator. I think we all do. But I'm getting tired of hearing in every thread you post in lately about how you're tired of the fandom. People who cut down and try to harm creators are not fans. Can you please give the soapboxing a rest and stop tarring the whole community with the same broad brush? Thank you.

In all honesty, I'm tired of it too. I don't like ranting about this stuff all the time, but it's in the news *every frigging week*. And everytime it pops up, there's someone who'll whine "but I need my free anime!" or go into some strange senseless explanation as to why stealingisn'tstealing. Or post that artists are just greedy. Or post "this is how I steal stuff without getting caught and you totally can to".

I'm not painting everyone with the same brush- I know there's some people who try to be responsible about it. There's also lots of folks who are very naive, and have no idea about the results of their activities.

And it's not like I'm the only one saying these things.
Webbmaster62

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Fansubs are a part of this, and the part of fandom that celebrates them is the sort that enables this sort of behaviour. If mods would rather I not talk about it, okay, but as far as I know, talking about the negative impacts of piracy is something that's pretty on topic when you have a news update about the horrific consequences of anime piracy.

I understand your point, but it's not like it's gonna stop. If people can DL music, movies and everything else illegal everyday, why would this? There's really no point if your gonna get the same answer everytime. It's the Internet. It's not gonna stop people from doing what they want. Especially if it works. People do it everyday.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

A lot of times it's not the groups making the fansubs themselves that get money from it, it's the sites where people find the fansubs that get money. A site will generate traffic by hosting illegal streams/downloads/etc. and then use that traffic to get advertisers to buy space on the site. So a site like MangaFox, which has been in the news recently, would get money from selling ad space and then contribute nothing back because they didn't pay for the rights to host the content. So even the people that make the fansubs or scanlations get shafted in the deal too.
theblackpaladin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Webbmaster62 wrote:
Paploo wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Fansubs are a part of this, and the part of fandom that celebrates them is the sort that enables this sort of behaviour. If mods would rather I not talk about it, okay, but as far as I know, talking about the negative impacts of piracy is something that's pretty on topic when you have a news update about the horrific consequences of anime piracy.

I understand your point, but it's not like it's gonna stop. If people can DL music, movies and everything else illegal everyday, why would this? There's really no point if your gonna get the same answer everytime. It's the Internet. It's not gonna stop people from doing what they want. Especially if it works. People do it everyday.

I disagree. I mean, illegal downloading--of anything--will never completely die, but I believe with all my heart that we can minimize the damage. A lot of fans simply don't know how big a problem fansubs are. Two years ago I watched fansubs fairly frequently because I didn't think it was a big deal. Then I watched Greg Ayers' panel about fansubs on YouTube and I was shocked to learn some of the stuff that I did. I stopped immediatley.

Furthermore, I've explained and elaborated this issue to other people that I've met online, and I talked them out of watching fansubs. I will do whatever I can to help this industry, even if it only yields a small result in the long scheme of things.
Zilan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Go spam Aniplex USA's facebook and let 'em hear how you feel about this issue.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/AniplexUSA

[No, don't -t]
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Webbmaster62 wrote:

Will it stop? I don't know. But there's lots of people who don't know why it's bad, and change their opinions once they find out. There's lots of fans who *just don't know* -- just look at our discussion with Sonic.

It's something that needs to be talked about if anime/manga is going to have a future. It's somethign we need to collectively sort out. It's something that isn't going away.

People do lots of horrible thigns everyday, but does it mean we should condone them or stop reporting about it? Does it mean we should stop evaluating it whenever it pops up in the news?

If people are growing tired of people telling them piracy's hurting the anime industry, maybe instead of telling myself and others to stop talking about it, they should reevaulate what they do, or reeavaluate what they see others doing, and think all this throught.

Think about what's been done to ANN.

Think about what's been done to Aniplex.

Think why it's shitty, and why fandom culture made it so easy and acceptable for so many.

I imagine some people are tired of ANN's discussions about piracy, and stolen content and anime companies encountering financial problems. but there's lots of people who have no sweet clue, or who are confused about these issues, and they're the people who need to hear it.

Telling me talking about it is pointless still doesn't change the fact that it's a shitty, awful thing that's been done to ANN. ANN and Aniplex deserved better, and these people deserve to be punished.

Last edited by Paploo on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Go spam Aniplex USA's facebook and let 'em hear how you feel about this issue.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/AniplexUSA

I think we've been through this before...
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
TheBlackPaladin wrote:

Well, many fansubbers don't make money off of it, and they have used that fact to avoid persecution many times. The "Honor Argument": "We just do it so people can see shows, we make no money off of it." They are definitely not as bad as the people making money off of it, but they are still contributing to the industry's downfall. I know a lot of people say, "I buy the official version when it comes out"...but be honest for a second, how often does that really happen? I'm sure some people do, but a lot of people just say that and continue to watch fansubs.

I'm honestly one of those people. But I know people who'll just say "if the official release doesn't have a dub, i'm keeping my free subbed version" and even though I can see where they're coming from (because they're dub fans), I still say you should buy the official release. And even though it is partly sub group's that cause harm to the industry, it also has something to do with how anime companies run their business. ADV couldn't run worth crap, and they died. Bandai is still putting out Special Editions as if they'll actually sell, and they don't realize they're partly losing money (because we all know how the Lucky Star editions went). Funimation's in no hurry to go out of business and other companies are doing just fine (depending on how you define "fine" in the anime world).

Sorry if i'm going off-topic, but i'm just saying taking down illegal groups and making smart business decisions are what's going to keep the anime industry alive.
Webbmaster62

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Webbmaster62 wrote:
Paploo wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

I disagree. I mean, illegal downloading--of anything--will never completely die, but I believe with all my heart that we can minimize the damage. A lot of fans simply don't know how big a problem fansubs are. Two years ago I watched fansubs fairly frequently because I didn't think it was a big deal. Then I watched Greg Ayers' panel about fansubs on YouTube and I was shocked to learn some of the stuff that I did. I stopped immediatley.

Furthermore, I've explained and elaborated this issue to other people that I've met online, and I talked them out of watching fansubs. I will do whatever I can to help this industry, even if it only yields a small result in the long scheme of things.

But like you just said, I mean, illegal downloading--of anything--will never completely die. You just answered it. I know you wanna help and any little possible way but as long as "that" is still there, it'll never end...period.

Last edited by Webbmaster62 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15