• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NHK's Top Anime Heroine Vote Results Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Poll wrote:
Winner garners 44% in poll for best heroine in the past 50 years months.

Better.

Now the poll makes sense.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting like a nice trip through anime history, like DAITARN MAP.

I can't see the "50 years" in this poll Laughing Rei is close to 20 years, but the movies might've rejuvenized her popularity.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree with everyone else here, its basically just a list of the most popular waifus right now.. I never expected anything different when this contest first was announced, since its how all of the character rankings are done on anime sites and magazines in Japan. The Newtype character rankings each month are typically a popular male and female character from the current season at #1, 1 or 2 K-Ons on the female list, Jesus Yamato on the male list, and a bunch of other characters from the last year or two on the rest. Anime is a very fad driven medium.. its all about whats popular now.

http://i47.tinypic.com/bfl8h2.jpg

The oldest characters on the most recent Newtype popularity rankings are the SEED characters, and they just never go away for some reason. Rest are all very recent, including #1 for both male and female.
Araki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Sounds legit
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
A lot of those are good characters, but aside from a few, not what I'd personally vote for in a top ten. Heck, if we want to get technical, some of them aren't even heroines, unless we're using the less literal looser definition of the word, which seems to be the case.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Wish I could get a good translation on that page to see what actual wording of the question was... like did they use a word that translates as 'heroine' or just female protagonist... and why in the heck didn't they spread this by decade or something? I mean, sure, it appears that we are way more serious about this sort of thing...

That's probably due to the idea that it is for '50 Years of Animation' and has that seeming weight of importance... rather than just a straight popularity contest... for which you might simply have said 'who are your top 10 favorite heroines' and they just add up the votes.

Truly, it's a fairly tall order to be thoughtful about it, just because of the sheer volume of existing anime. Even if you are going to be all masterpiece theatre critic about it...
Who is the best written, who is consistently drawn the best, who is the most central to her plotline? Who cracks the best jokes?

Maybe it's a fool's errand to begin with.

In any case, my own top heroine, though she isn't my favorite character {though she is up there}... is:
Balsa the Spear Wielder from Moribito.
She drives the story, and she is the heroine. Well written and drawn, too, IMHO.

Perhaps our intrepid anime preview group would share who they believe to be the best heroine of anime in their opinion or something.
DiGiKerot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
Wish I could get a good translation on that page to see what actual wording of the question was... like did they use a word that translates as 'heroine' or just female protagonist... and why in the heck didn't they spread this by decade or something? I mean, sure, it appears that we are way more serious about this sort of thing...

As far as I can gather, they literally used the word "heroine" (ヒロイン).

Bear in mind that even in English dictionary definition of the term, a Heroine doesn't actually have to do anything heroic - being the main female character in a work is enough to be a heroine, even if they don't do anything, as long as they're presented with generally positive traits. The Japanese usage of the term ends to be slightly looser, in that it can apply to any female character associated somewhat-positively with the protagonist.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what an AFI-esque sort of poll would look like, one from people in the industry. Otherwise, unlike Hollywood films and the general populace, anime is still mainly for the young. You don't have older generations reflecting on their heroes and heroines of days old in anime, which is why you'll still see Errol Flynn or John Wayne characters appear on some equivalent poll. People growing up in the 70s are not likely still watching anime today, but you can bet they're still seeing mainstream Hollywood films. There's very little "history of" or longevity in anime, and the system of cours with 25-35 new shows every three months contributes to it. I'm not critiquing the system as it is now, we've been stuck with it since the early 90s when shows stopped being mostly 50 episodes long, instead fractured into 26 or 13 episode pieces.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
As I mentioned before, like the NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Top 50 this ain't. Laughing
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
yeah aside from rei ayanami most of those series have come out within the last 7 or so years.... I dunno about #1 but at least rei is still relavent Anime smile

oh and sakura from cardcaptors.... one thing that bugs me is they have two entries from the same series, homura and madoka.... it should be just one....
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I'll do this in behalf of every anime fan who doesn't care about more *Face Palms*, really? REALLY? 50 freakin' years worth of the anime and the best Heroine is Haruka! What about the legendary Sailor Moon? Mononoke? Nausicaa from Nausicaa Valley of the Wind? Kiki from Kiki's delivery service? Can't we go farther back than the last decade?
ianiceboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:28 am Reply with quote
It still doesn't cover fifty years' worth, but here is an internet poll that covers these top ten and all of the alternatives suggested in all three threads here about this poll.

Feel free to vote for your own worthy candidate here:
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/573310
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
After all the things Sailor Moon has done to save the world, Haruhi makes the list over her? And Yui from K-On?

This list can go suck eggs.

Last edited by LUNI_TUNZ on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
After all the things Sailor Moon has done to save the world, Haruhi makes the list over her?

This list can go suck eggs.

Problem is that Sailor Moon hasn't been relevant for a while.. the new series didn't come soon enough to sway votes. Everything else here has had a new release of some type in the last 3 years (counting the Blu-Ray release and reairing of Card Captor Sakura).

I feel only reason Haruhi made it since she hasn't had a new release as recent as the others was because she was one of the rotating pictures on the voting site, so it made people remember her. Same thing with Rei, which could explain why they have the 2 lowest vote totals here... they were likely just voted for over others since people were reminded by them with the pics shown instead of thinking of characters off the top of their head.

IIRC, the other characters on the rotating thing were Madoka, Astro Girl, and some 70s and 80s characters I didn't recognize. They seemed to try to get 1 character per decade.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
So, what you're saying is it's less a poll of actual "top heroines", and more a game of Concentration?

I buy that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4