• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime Nominated for Oscars [2013-01-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
I love that I can go onto a forum celebrating the versatility and appeal of Japanese animation, and can find a thread where equally stellar American animation is relegated to "children's movies".

Those children's movies were some of the best movies of the year, especially the dark and surprisingly risky ParaNorman, as well as Wreck-It Ralph which is with little doubt the best video game movie ever with extensive world-building and really likeable characters.

Never change, hypocrites. Never change.

What I'd love to know is how many of the people here who have simply written these movies off as children's movies have actually seen a couple of them. Granted they're all very child friendly. But child friendly is not a bad thing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
Splitter wrote:
I love that I can go onto a forum celebrating the versatility and appeal of Japanese animation, and can find a thread where equally stellar American animation is relegated to "children's movies".

Those children's movies were some of the best movies of the year, especially the dark and surprisingly risky ParaNorman, as well as Wreck-It Ralph which is with little doubt the best video game movie ever with extensive world-building and really likeable characters.

Never change, hypocrites. Never change.

What I'd love to know is how many of the people here who have simply written these movies off as children's movies have actually seen a couple of them. Granted they're all very child friendly. But child friendly is not a bad thing.

Of course they haven't seen them.

Just like the people complaining that Batmans and Superhero Team-Up weren't nominated for Best Picture likely haven't seen more than one of the nominated films.

It's a dumb cultural identity and ego thing, not an actual criticism of the films nominated or any sort of coherent complaint against AMPAS.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
well give no anime has been noms for any oscar this year besides unless wait for right type of anime to someday get noms for oscar oh well there always next year.

yet one mentions for this give only seen wreck it ralph & paperman.

besides i think so among shorts so likely guessing paperman could get oscar for it give way it went & story quite a very good feel on it.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
wouldn't poppy hill be a strong candidate? Sad
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
wouldn't poppy hill be a strong candidate? Sad

Maybe, but people would have needed to see it, which means it would have needed a wide release in 2012. You notice limited releases don't get Oscar buzz, they also don't have Academy campaigns and screeners meant to gain votes. Had Poppy Hill opened in October, lets say, to a mere 500 screens, that'd be infinitely better for its chances a short week in LA. The film had no chance with the bare bones approach, these things have to be done strategically. That's why Oscar-baity films are released towards the end of the year (Lincoln, Les Mis, Argo, ZD30) and why January is the dumping ground of lesser films.

I think Moonrise Kingdom might have a chance in its category, since Lincoln isn't in it, and the Spielberg Machine for a film like that will sadly crush all competition.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
All in favor of a foreign animation catagory raise your hand! Very Happy

But seriously this sucks, I hope Wreck it Ralph will win at the end, best Disney film in a long time, and it's very creative! And as a gamer I love how they included tons of video game characters and references spoiler[( especially the Sonic the hedge hog reference I nearly died when I saw Sonic on the sign giving advice, making reference to "Sonic Says" from the 1990's "Sonic the hedgehog show)] high quality stuff and the best thing Disney's made in years. As for Paperman, its one of the best short films I've ever seen in my life, the story and animation for it was nothing less than flawless. If that doesn't win, I'll once again loose hope for the future of American Entertainment.

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

>_> Equally steller? Well I guess that's your opinion but it's not like it's not common knowledge that American animation has been in a ghetto for the past few decades. From Up on Poppy Hill alone is more diverse and creative than anything else on that list. You can love those movies but they are children's movies and they play out and act just as you would expect children's movies to play out. They were nothing special or stuff we haven't seen before. Aint hypocritical to like anime and not western animation no matter how much you guys wanna claim it is.

Quote:
Wreck-It Ralph which is with little doubt the best video game movie ever

lolwut. You've only seen 1 video game movie I take it >_> The Professor Layton movie was far better than Wreck It Ralph was.. and counts waaaay more as a video game movie since it actually is about a video game where Wreck it Ralph just had a few gimmicky cameos. Anime is one of the worst opponents you can fight against in video game adaptions.. they make buttloads more video game anime and movies than America does.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Honestly Poppy Hill wasn't all that good. Yes, it tried to delve into the possibility of brother/sister romance without making it the stupidity the imouto genre has made of it, but at the end itspoiler[ just took a whole lot of absurd twists and turns so that the kids could be in love and not be related by blood.]

And as someone else said, relegating those movies as "children movies" just because they're American animation is just the same as saying anime is for kids because it's cartoons. Rolling Eyes
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Splitter wrote:

>_> Equally steller? Well I guess that's your opinion but it's not like it's not common knowledge that American animation has been in a ghetto for the past few decades. From Up on Poppy Hill alone is more diverse and creative than anything else on that list. You can love those movies but they are children's movies and they play out and act just as you would expect children's movies to play out. They were nothing special or stuff we haven't seen before. Aint hypocritical to like anime and not western animation no matter how much you guys wanna claim it is.

Oh please. Just because the vast majority of anime fans trash on American animation every chance they get, doesn't make what they're saying true. Sure, America doesn't put out as much animation as Japan. Regardless, American animation has plenty to offer, on tv and in film. Yes, every single one of these films could be regarded as children's movies. But there is nothing wrong with being a children's movie. Several of these are quite enjoyable films and they all performed well critically. I'm sorry your bias against American animation won't allow you to see what they have to offer. Anime generally is more diverse and covers a much broader range of subjects, many of which American animation would never touch. That does not make it inherently better. Nor does maturity for maturity's sake.

How this conversation reminds me of why I drifted away from anime forums. Anime fans are always saying people need to be more open minded about animation, but look how close minded they become when the topic turns to American animation. I'm glad those days are behind me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but American animation is for kids, whereas anime is... also largely for kids!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Yeah, but American animation is for kids, whereas anime is... also largely for kids!

DUDE YOU CAN'T SAY THAT!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Maybe, but people would have needed to see it, which means it would have needed a wide release in 2012. You notice limited releases don't get Oscar buzz, they also don't have Academy campaigns and screeners meant to gain votes. Had Poppy Hill opened in October, lets say, to a mere 500 screens, that'd be infinitely better for its chances a short week in LA. The film had no chance with the bare bones approach,

Eh, both Chico & Rita and A Cat in Paris got nominated last year with a similar "bare bones approach", though I will grant that 2011 was a very weak year for American animation feature films not titled "Rango".

TG72 wrote:

Yeah, I'd love to see an Arietty in there, but the Oscars always seem to have a few snubs that make no sense to me...

It wasn't a snub, Arrietty simply wasn't eligible because it was released in Japan in 2010 and the Academy only grants a single calendar year extension for foreign animated films to play in Los Angeles to be eligible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
While I would have loved for Poppy Hill to be nominated, these films aren't bad.

I don't think the academy is "against" anime though since Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle were both nominated, and Spirited Away actually WON the statue.
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
Anime generally is more diverse and covers a much broader range of subjects, many of which American animation would never touch. That does not make it inherently better.

Actually it does make it inherently better. It's just common sense, nothing to be ashamed about it. This isn't about waging some fanwar or denying that american animation could at least be enjoyable if nothing else. It's just about being realistic about it. I don't mind kid stuff myself and I even watch morning-tv anime. There are some good things to be found in them, but that's no justification to ignore some obvious strenghts in the name of equality. That if anything is hypocrisy.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
People saying Brave shouldn't be nominated, then cheering for ParaNorman. The world must be nuts.

ParaNorman had some fabulous animation in the final spoiler[crazy electric witch scenes], but other than that, the only good thing it had was the spoiler[gay brother and the chips machine scene]

I know I'm very biased in Brave's favor because ImagirlandIwatcheditwithmymom-bonding-period, but even if it's not the best of Pixar, it's clearly better than ParaNorman in every aspect

Paranorman is a better rounded movie (imo), in almost every aspect. Even go see critic reception of the two on Rotten Tomatoes. It is not Pixar's best. So this now allows for another movie to take an award. Pixar didn't bring their A game this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5