• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 9 More Than Slightly Mad Scientists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I know this has been asked before, but can the column title be changed from "The List" to "Lynzee's List"? Before, when it was "Gia's List", it was made quite clear that this was Gia's opinions. However, now that it's "The" list, it gives the impression that this is meant to be more of a "top" or "definitive" list. Given that every single week I (and others) have had major objections to those on and/or missing from the list, the impression that it's "The" list makes it feel that those of us who disagree are wrong.

This is also the only non-review column (that I can think of) that is 100% subjective (as opposed to primarily news-based information) and does not carry the columnists name in the title.

It's called 'The List' and then has a byline. Once Gia left the column, I wanted to future proof it by calling it 'The List' and thus it can accommodate other potential writers as this column will continue regardless of who's writing it. I don't see Lynzee being replaced anytime soon, but if she does, I can bring someone else in without having to change the column title in the CMS (which is a pain) or make new graphics (also a pain).

No offense intended but your reasoning here strikes me as hypersensitive and a touch insecure. Nobody's telling you that this is definitive and you're wrong if you disagree. That isn't implied anywhere, not in the tone of the article, the title, anywhere. You're invited to disagree and list your own additions/changes in the forums. That's the fun of these articles, the discussion that follows.
MarchingTwinkie3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Just commenting because of the poll. Meisei's baseball team will always be my manga/anime sports team. Seishu's baseball team is definitely second, though.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
MarchingTwinkie3 wrote:
Just commenting because of the poll. Meisei's baseball team will always be my manga/anime sports team. Seishu's baseball team is definitely second, though.

Ditto every word of this. Touch and Cross Game are two of the best TV anime I've seen.

As for this week's list, I'll assume Doctor Hell was not included because he just goes without saying. Very Happy
unused

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't watch many anime with scientist in it. But
I think Tucker from FMA should made into the list. That is if alchemist was considered scientist.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Where's Mayuri Kurotsuchi? Isn't turning his own subordinates into bombs just to gather research crazy? Or inserting poison into his vice-captain's body in the event that someone tries to take her over?

Or hell, swapping out all of his internal organs for fakes.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
As others have mentioned I feel like Stein would have made a great addition to the list. Particularly since such a large part of his character development is focused on him having to deal with going insane.

Also, I agree that Shou Tucker should have been on this list, if you could count him as a scientist. I mean the guy fused his daughter with a dog, so he could keep his research fund! That's pretty insane to me!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Ah, but Vogler was spoiler[innocent the whole time.]

Washu from Tenchi Muyo is the ultimate mad scientist. And perhaps Shou Tucker or the Gold-Toothed Guy from FMA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
From recent series, I'd pick Chihaya's karuta club as favorite sports team.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
my pick for favorite sports team are the girls from Taisho Baseball Girls
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
There's a bunch of sports teams that I love from that list (and some not included, like Cross Game's or Giant Killing's), but I ultimately went with Slam Dunk's basketball team.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
There's a bunch of sports teams that I love from that list (and some not included, like Cross Game's or Giant Killing's), but I ultimately went with Slam Dunk's basketball team.

Despite you having Kurita of the Demon Devil Bats as your avatar? For shame!

As far as the mad scientists go, Nina Einstein made me hate her so much. She was a horrible bitch, and she deserves nothing less than a horrid, painful death. Perhaps the effects of working on a nuclear bomb should catch up to her and she loses all her hair and teeth. Having not finished Code Geass, I have no idea what happens to her, but I can only hope it's something to that effect.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Surprised to not see Joe Carol Brane The Scientist from the 1996 Black Jack movie in here. She created a race of super humans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
flawed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
Disappointed, was kind of hoping one of the scientists/doctors from Paprika would get a mention in the list.

Also surprised Bulma, her dad, or Gero didn't get a mention either for that matter.

Hiroshi Agasa or Ai Haibara/Shiho Miyano would also be honorable mentions.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:

Despite you having Kurita of the Demon Devil Bats as your avatar? For shame!

I know! They were the other major choice. This poll was hard. Confused
Kohii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quote
Good grief, was Nina annoying.

Okabe was just goofy and unintentionally dangerous. Not as twisted as all the other nuts on the list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4