• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - B-b-b-b-back and Lovin' It

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:11 am Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:
I never really had the impression that Sister Princess was a very good series to begin with, but my interest has actually gone up a little bit, thanks to this discussion. I still don't think I will be purchasing the series, but I'd like to know what exactly is the appeal of the series.

What I like about SisPri is that each of the girls interact differently with Wataru, and that they all have very distinct and various personalities. One of the main factors that I look for in an anime series is how I connect and relate to the characters, and I grown accustom to the various personalities that the girls display. Sure, the storylines are below average and the animation is not that stellar (although the girls are drawn proportionally well - no big breasts that are commonplace in the harem genre), but this is a series that I enjoy watching, mostly as a pleasent escape from the harshness of reality. The seiyuus are pleasent to listen to, but the dub acting is not as strong from what I'm accustom to hearing in an ADV-licensed title. Obviously I don't recommend it if you're looking for a more intelligent series, but I can enjoy watching a series that I think is fun to watch as a subsidiary to the more serious anime that I regularly watch. I use SisPri as a mental break from all the tragedy and seriousness that I've experienced over the last few years. Plus, as a fledging anime collector, I figured that I needed to add at least one harem title to my collecton - I just chose to add the SisPri gang. Smile

Yes, I did forget about the awesome animation and music in Wolf's Rain. Embarassed Yoko Kanno rules! Very Happy
MaestroDelphine

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:53 am Reply with quote
I liked this shelf life except I disagree with the Wolf's Rain placing on both of them!!! I liked the show but I doubt I will watch it again..but only to see Lady Jaguara!
MaestroDelphine

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:01 am Reply with quote
I liked this shelf life and I agree with everything except for the placement of Wolf's Rain (it should be in the rental shelf). Wolf's Rain for me is a watch only one time series which is very good the first time but loses "the magic emotion" the second time. I believe that this show has been definitely overrated by fans and has been made into a bigger production than it really is! Very Happy sorry fans of wolf's rain. I LOVE LADY JAGUARA
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Small editorial note:

It should be Whisper of the Heart not Whispers of the Heart.

Note: Not yet available in US. Worth getting the region 2 DVD from Japan.
fargazer

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to say Welcome Back! I've missed the Shelf Life column and was greatly pleased to see the latest installment.

I can't say I always agree completely with the ratings, but it's still useful because you always give the reasons why you evaluated them as you did. Thanks for all your hard work!

- Fargazer
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
fargazer wrote:
I can't say I always agree completely with the ratings, but it's still useful because you always give the reasons why you evaluated them as you did. Thanks for all your hard work!

In the future I hope Bamboo just makes a "list article." Something like "Shelf-Worthy: A,B,C, and D. Rental Shelf: E,F, and G. Perishable Item: H." That would make it so much easier for her to write and for us to read. Laughing
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:25 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
What I like about SisPri is that each of the girls interact differently with Wataru, and that they all have very distinct and various personalities. One of the main factors that I look for in an anime series is how I connect and relate to the characters, and I grown accustom to the various personalities that the girls display. Sure, the storylines are below average and the animation is not that stellar (although the girls are drawn proportionally well - no big breasts that are commonplace in the harem genre), but this is a series that I enjoy watching, mostly as a pleasent escape from the harshness of reality. The seiyuus are pleasent to listen to, but the dub acting is not as strong from what I'm accustom to hearing in an ADV-licensed title. Obviously I don't recommend it if you're looking for a more intelligent series, but I can enjoy watching a series that I think is fun to watch as a subsidiary to the more serious anime that I regularly watch. I use SisPri as a mental break from all the tragedy and seriousness that I've experienced over the last few years. Plus, as a fledging anime collector, I figured that I needed to add at least one harem title to my collecton - I just chose to add the SisPri gang. Smile

Is that really why you like it, biliano, or is it just because of all those cute girls? *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:08 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

Is that really why you like it, biliano, or is it just because of all those cute girls? *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* Anime smile

Cute girls are always welcome; except when they're obsessed with humping their direct relatives.
biliano

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:09 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

OK, you caught me! Anime smile + sweatdrop

But yes, what I wrote in my prior post is true; those are the reasons why I have SisPri in my collection. Wink
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
In the future I hope Bamboo just makes a "list article." Something like "Shelf-Worthy: A,B,C, and D. Rental Shelf: E,F, and G. Perishable Item: H." That would make it so much easier for her to write and for us to read. Laughing
But then they wouldn't give a why. It makes it easier to understand the ratings if a reason is given (in my opinion) because then I can see a bit more in depth into the rating. Not to mention, it would also sort of contradict a rule about not having list threads. But yes, it would be slightly more concise and easier to read if I were in a hurry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3