• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fractale (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

I think it's a bit further ahead than that if they consider the 21st/22nd century to be ancient history (the ancient audio recording described the Fractale system as 22nd century technology, so it is either from the 22nd century or the late 21st).

Oh, okay. I thought they were referring to the "22nd century God" as something that had been built in contemporary times.

Although that does make me question the likelihood of anyone still living in a faux-thatched cottage that far in the future. Maybe they've come back into vogue.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the boy said that the data was from a text book. An *old* text book. He seemed bemused at how the Fractale system was described. The impression I got was that his present is quite a bit after the Fractale system was implimented, though just how long we can't say for sure, yet.

Oh, and when he checks out the pendant at the end, he says something about how the data on it is *ancient*, yet clearly by looking at it the tech involved is still futuristic from our perspective.

All-in-all we're left with only vague clues and a dependence on what Claine considers old or ancient. I expect that we might get some hard dates later on, though.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm also guessing that the Fractale system has been up for at least 50 years, since everyone seems so used to it.
Also, that girl came from the past - I don't know when - and she was already aware of the existence of, eh, [mirage life form?]. Note worthing that a system would usually last long, and since Fractale is beginning to collapse, the series' present could possibly be a few centuries further ahead of the creation of the system.

Anyway, where are the characters from the promo art which was at ANN's skin not long ago? Don't tell me they changed the design?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
We know the pendant, and therefore the perky-girl that come from it are from the past, but unless I'm missing something, we don't know if Phryne came from the past. If Phryne can travel through time, then it is possible she can move in both directions. Maybe she's from Claine's future, went way back to wherever Pendant Girl came from, then later showed up in Claine's time.

Also, we know nothing of the Factale system itself or its actual capabilities. Maybe time is meaningless insofar as to the duration of its existance is concerned: the day after it was made is just as accessable to it as a time 20 years down the road (so long as it is still intact). I'm pretty sure that the "prayer" is some sort of upload to the Fractale network (it consists of "trillions" of computers, not some single giga-computer). I bring this up because I think that Phryne is somehow connected to the Fractale system in some sort of unique manner, and this might be allowing her to move through time.

(Note: the idea of a trillion computers is pretty scary. A trillion of anything is mindboggling, IMO.)

Another idea is that Claine's world is, in fact, *entirely* virtual. He may believe himself to be a real physical human, but could in fact be a sort of sentient data -- like programs are in The Matrix. There are a lot of intriguing possibilities and I'm interested to see where they take this series.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Anyway, where are the characters from the promo art which was at ANN's skin not long ago? Don't tell me they changed the design?

The purple haired girl? Yeah, in the original designs there were three characters with purple hair so it looks like they changed the hair colors on Phryne and Nessa, a shame since the purple hair would make the most sense on a character that's actually a computer projection.

And I was also thinking that this story is set either in the last 22nd/ early 23rd century at least, the way that Clain seemed dismissive of the textbook and how well integrated all the technology seemed to be suggested it had been around for a while (and I was thinking that the prayer was some sort of upload too, although whether the characters know this or not could be interesting later). I saw someone actually propose taking the stars from the end of the episode and using that plus the location to figure out what year it is but that's waaaay too much math for me to even think about doing. Anime hyper
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
The bright ones may not be stars at all, but satellites. IIRC, there is a reference (I think it was in the history recording) of something that, by its name, had to be a satellite. At the very least, this Fractale network is a sort of "cloud computing" that encompasses the whole planet and probably up into orbit as well.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I see. This is a bit deeper than I thought. But just how much of a focus is it going to be? Nothing like Katanagatari, I hope? Where everyday dialog fills 90% of everything.
I actually have my hopes for something similar to Kino's Journey, where they travel to different towns and meet certain kinds of trouble. But this time, of course, with a bit more setting/fantasy depth rather than philosophical depth.
I wouldn't mind seeing the clumsy trio appearing every now and then, but for the love of god, not every episode.

Also disappointed with the design changes. "Wonder whose idea it was," says egoist while preparing a voodoo doll.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I bring this up because I think that Phryne is somehow connected to the Fractale system in some sort of unique manner, and this might be allowing her to move through time.

Didn't Claine mention something about her clothes being the worns worn by temple maidens, or something like that? Since they "pray" to the fractale system, maybe the computers are the "temples".

Quote:
I actually have my hopes for something similar to Kino's Journey, where they travel to different towns and meet certain kinds of trouble

I'd say it's pretty certain this is going to become a globe (or at least country) trotting adventure, since concept art shows the characters on an airship. I wouldn't be surprised if Claine goes looking for his real parents.

This is beside the point, but did anyone think the Fractale computers sound kind of similar to the Fal'Cie from Final Fantasy XIII?
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
The computer is portrayed as the world's god, ain't it? I thought that was clear since its image is the sun, and I suppose most religions' gods were based on the sun. Thus...

The temple must be something like the fortress built up to protect the computer, and the maidens, hmm, maintenance personnel who found a special boy capable of fixing the system, but unaccepted by the temple, thus the reason why we had pursuers?

Claine can go look for his parents if he wants to, imo. But I'll give him an episode time-limit. Or maybe his parents are the creators of the system, thus why he's the special kid three beauties ran into? Oh, too many possibilities.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's that whole sort-of-annoying song aspect to this, too. The song talks about the day star (that would be the Sun). Probably all of those trillion computers are being powered via solar energy... maybe from orbit.

Phryne knew the song, too. Claine was commenting on the lyrics to the song during the opening scene, something about it saying "wish" instead of "pray" or something like that, as if he found that interesting.

Phryne also said something about how the Moonlight was a source of comfort for her, and that it saw her through tough times. I thought it was interesting that she said that about the moonlight and not the Sunlight... the light from the Day Star which is referenced in the song.

Well, I'm sure after next week our (or at least my) conjecturing will be a bit more focused than it is now. But it's fun to play around with ideas and possibilities.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Phryne also said something about how the Moonlight was a source of comfort for her, and that it saw her through tough times. I thought it was interesting that she said that about the moonlight and not the Sunlight... the light from the Day Star which is referenced in the song.

I tend to miss this stuff so easily. I automatically stop reading when characters start singing, but I do recall the talk about the moon.

Maybe the fact that it's powered by the sun isn't correct, but I believe the daylight is a factor here. Maybe the computer can see all during the day, given the brightness, but not at night, given the lack of light. Also perhaps why they must look straight into it during that time.

So, we've had Matrix proposed, and now I propose The Lord of the Rings. I'll be glad as long as there's no Star Wars and princess love crap, and the computer is his father's personification who turns to him and say "Claine, I'm your father". Razz
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Well, there's that whole sort-of-annoying song aspect to this, too. The song talks about the day star (that would be the Sun).

I thought the day star thing was a reference to the fractale computers being visible during the day when the "prayer" happens.

Quote:
Claine was commenting on the lyrics to the song during the opening scene, something about it saying "wish" instead of "pray" or something like that, as if he found that interesting.

If you wanted to totally and completely over-analyse this the difference between wish and pray could be building on themes of subservience (repeating pre-created words of worship) versus freedom (a wish is personal and represents a desire to change things). Not that I'm actually expecting the show to engage in such naval-gazing.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I thought the day star thing was a reference to the fractale computers being visible during the day when the "prayer" happens.

Quote:
Claine was commenting on the lyrics to the song during the opening scene, something about it saying "wish" instead of "pray" or something like that, as if he found that interesting.

If you wanted to totally and completely over-analyse this the difference between wish and pray could be building on themes of subservience (repeating pre-created words of worship) versus freedom (a wish is personal and represents a desire to change things). Not that I'm actually expecting the show to engage in such naval-gazing.

Well, I'm definitely a champion naval-gazer, so I might as well just up and admit that.

I hadn't thought about the day star being the prayer star. That would make a lot more sense as most people don't think of the Sun as a star, even though of course it is one. Maybe what changed (in regards to the different words) isn't the Fractale network itself, but rather how it was viewed by those connected to it. The whole aspect about it being the 22nd century's "god" would imply that.

Lots of stuff with insufficient data to make any conclusions from.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
so far its been "meh!" besides being far too close a rip off of castle in the sky's visuals and another (think it was dragon killer) this one is not really all that great or bad but its still just the first episode we'll see where it goes.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
With a delay of one day I finally watched the first episode of Fractale. So far I'm very excited about the set up and where this might go. It's already established a mystery that has questions racing threw my mind, and it's gone on to give the viewers enough to start to speculate on their own theories. Also I enjoy that this has the makings of a really fun and expansive adventure story. The world that the story is told in is very well thought out and seems to build a complex social system that we will most likely learn about later in the series. Though I do hope the characters develop a bit more depth as the story progresses.

Obviously Fractale is borrowing heavily from Ghibli adventure movies like Castle in the Sky which makes me even more excited about how this series might turn out. Also, just because the anime is influenced by older works doesn't mean they are "ripping off" the older creative work. Saying that Fractale is a "rip off" of Castle in the Sky is like saying Evangelion is a rip off of Ultraman. Eva was very influenced by Ultraman and was actually meant to be an homage to the classic sentai show. I feel like Fractale is meant to be a similar thing for Castle in the Sky.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12