• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: DmC Devil May Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PikminExpert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
What are you talking about? Capcom's initial sales prediction for DMC4 was 1.8 million units. The title has sold 2.6 million units to date, and likely over that amount. It's their 11th best selling game of all time, according to the official Capcom Japan - Investor Relations website. DMC4 is also the best-selling DMC title thus far.

DMC4 was not badly received by fans either. The only difference was the new protagonist that they introduced, Nero. Everything still remained true to the DMC series, and you could even play as Dante. The only DMC title that was badly received was DMC2, but the 3 other games greatly make up for it.

Please do some research before making such nonsensical claims.

Last edited by PikminExpert on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Well I loved previous DMC games so I'm very interested in this new game. The teenager F bombing Dante doesn't bother me, what I like about DMC is the combat and from the demo and footage I've seen this game won't disappoint. All I need is the game telling me how awesome my demon slaying is and all is fine, well basically. The art style looks good and combat seems to look awesome so that's enough to pull me in. I will however wait for the price to drop before buying this since I don't think this is a title worth 60 euros.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
Bullshit. DMC4 was crap, sold like crap, and is generally treated like crap by its community at large. Well, WAS. Until DmC came out, where DMC4 is now magically the paragon of ideal DMC quality.

A whiny and hypocritical fanbase full of crap. It's nothing new, but these guys really excel at it.

Dante, stop posting.
Besides, DMC4 wasn't treated badly by fans, aside from Nero.
Now, had you been talking about DMC2, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Anyway; my thoughts since I beat it yesterday. Keep in mind, MY thoughts.

Too many puzzles separating the combat but amazing stage design.
Good combat (albeit rather gimmicky but goddamn, it is enjoyable 'gimmicky')
Great idea for a story but terrible execution.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
Bullshit. DMC4 was crap, sold like crap, and is generally treated like crap by its community at large. Well, WAS. Until DmC came out, where DMC4 is now magically the paragon of ideal DMC quality.

A whiny and hypocritical fanbase full of crap. It's nothing new, but these guys really excel at it.

Nice way to ignore objective data like sales figures, but then again if you DID acknowledge it you'd have to admit that NT's reboot attempt is a bit superfluous, wouldn't you? Nero actually had a decent reception and wasn't an insufferable jerk whose head needed to be caved in like NT's version of Dante. Cool your jets before you mouth off

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
PikminExpert wrote:
Please do some research before making such nonsensical claims.

I did. There's an entire website dedicated to trashing DMC4 as much as possible.

Ironically, it's also the biggest DMC fansite on the web.

http://www.devils-lair.org/

Check the forums. Wink
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't get it perhaps you've confused DMC 2 with DMC 4. It was DMC 2 that got a lot of negative feedback not DMC 4.
PikminExpert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
http://www.devils-lair.org/

Check the forums. Wink

The forum section doesn't, or no longer exists. I have also visited that website many times before.

The only reason that DMC4 may have been originally ill-received was because of Nero, but then fans grew to love him. He could be described as a "punk" as well, but he is nothing like the new Dante. I don't see how the new Dante's character could be described as appealing at all.
aralex391

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
ok, so the reviewer complains a lot about the game's difficulty and the combat itself. With many of the complaints about the combat aimed at its apparent lack of difficulty.
I felt a bit surprised as I was reading the review as I have tried the demo, and found the combat to be very challenging if I chose the appropriate difficulty.
But that is the thing; this reviewer has obviously only played the game on normal, otherwise he wouldn't be saying most of the things that he does say as the game has 5 difficulty modes after normal, which makes it ridiculous to complain about the difficulty. Besides several other reviewers are praising just that; the combat! With some even saying that the variety warrants several playthroughs.

And come on! The reviewer is obviously not reviewing the game on its own merits. He keeps mentioning other games and saying: "If x didn't exist this game would be good", and "Compared to x this game is great".
Besides it is quite disconcerting that this review bashes the story when it is definitely one of the things that other reviews are praising.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
aralex391 wrote:
ok, so the reviewer complains a lot about the game's difficulty and the combat itself. With many of the complaints about the combat aimed at its apparent lack of difficulty.
I felt a bit surprised as I was reading the review as I have tried the demo, and found the combat to be very challenging if I chose the appropriate difficulty.
But that is the thing; this reviewer has obviously only played the game on normal, otherwise he wouldn't be saying most of the things that he does say as the game has 5 difficulty modes after normal, which makes it ridiculous to complain about the difficulty. Besides several other reviewers are praising just that; the combat! With some even saying that the variety warrants several playthroughs.

And come on! The reviewer is obviously not reviewing the game on its own merits. He keeps mentioning other games and saying: "If x didn't exist this game would be good", and "Compared to x this game is great".
Besides it is quite disconcerting that this review bashes the story when it is definitely one of the things that other reviews are praising.

Firstly, the game carries a brand name to it. That alone is enough to judge it to other games. And even if it was a standalone, it would be compared to other games in the genre as it's COMPLETELY logical to compare one hack and slash to another. Another is that a hack and slash SHOULD have something of a challenge on normal difficulty. If he didn't find it compelling on its DEFAULT, then that's a problem. And also the story is NOT being praised by reviewers; a lot of them say the story is garbage, but let it slide because they find the gameplay redeeming
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
...I told myself I wouldn't post in the DmC thread, but...man, I have to say, of all the things I was expecting to see here, the last was someone going off about how everyone supposedly thinks DMC4 is garbage.

Not that I, uhh, mean to interrupt or anything. By all means!
methaniel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
DMC4 isn't that well-appreciated by the community and since the time it was out (not as much as the 2 but still quite some hate). Not that I care much but...

Anyway, DmC so far feels okay in terms of fighting but I'm reaaally annoyed at the default camera position which is too low, meaning that I'm constantly moving it around which is pretty unconvenient. I didn't remember such a thing from the demo though, so I don't know why I felt like this suddenly in the real game
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
methaniel wrote:
Anyway, DmC so far feels okay in terms of fighting but I'm reaaally annoyed at the default camera position which is too low, meaning that I'm constantly moving it around which is pretty unconvenient. I didn't remember such a thing from the demo though, so I don't know why I felt like this suddenly in the real game

That, I really have to agree with. I constantly found myself tilting the right stick up. Considering I needed my thumb for the insanity going on on-screen, it was pretty distracting.

At least it wasn't a fixed camera like in previous games, or that quasi-camera nonsense from DMC4.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
When sales figures fail to measure up to projections companies become flabbergasted. Chances are Capcom will take a good long look at what went wrong (again) and come away with the impression that the market is responsible for their performance.
PikminExpert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:

At least it wasn't a fixed camera like in previous games, or that quasi-camera nonsense from DMC4.

That camera that you are talking about has been around since the original Devil May Cry game, and even before that, the Resident Evil series.

LondinCalling wrote:
When sales figures fail to measure up to projections companies become flabbergasted. Chances are Capcom will take a good long look at what went wrong (again) and come away with the impression that the market is responsible for their performance.

I'm actually a Capcom fan, and I am disappointed at the approaches that Capcom has made to their franchises so far. Street Fighter X Tekken only sold 1.4 million of its expected 2 million units, and Resident Evil 6 sold 4.5 million of its expected 7 million units. Their marketing decisions for SFXT were in poor taste (which they blamed on the over-saturation of fighting games in the market), and turning RE6 into something not Resident Evil (i.e. a generic action-shooter instead of its traditional survival-horror roots). There is also the case of Mega Man (what happened to him?). The only franchise that I'm supporting right now is the Ace Attorney series, with the way things are going.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
If this game fails to sell well due to pure fan rage, that'll be really disappointing.

By all measure it's a solid, well-made, fun game. The reviews are pretty universally positive. They knock it for the silly over-the-top immaturity of the story and characters, but then in the same breath acknowledge that it's still fun and campy anyway. You know, like the original games were, fun and campy.

If it's just people screaming and crying that it isn't like the old games, so regardless of the game's actual quality let's trash it beyond recognition in every corner of the internet we can find, and that superficial nonsense is what causes the game to fail, then congrats, the internet is officially the angry mob that can make or break someone's fortunes based on even the flimsiest, shallowest reasons.

Which is kind of terrifying for anyone trying to do anything new with any established property - "make it exactly like it's always been made, no exceptions or we'll ruin you"? That's the kind of mob tyranny that destroys potential creativity. It sucks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6