• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Nisemonogatari, Oreimo on Blu-ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Currently, the OreImo BD-Box is selling for 21,300 yen (27% off MSRP of 29,400 yen) at Amazon Japan. That's $237.28 USD at the current exchange rate. Aniplex of America has a MSRP of $328.29 USD, which is around 89.1 yen per dollar, very close to the current exchange rate. The issue is that the $278.29 USD price is only around 15% off from MSRP. You save 12% more on the set if you order from Amazon (discounting shipping costs from both RS/Amazon). That's where it's crazy; not the pricing since it is an import.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
SpacemanHardy is one of those who thinks anybody who disagrees with him can't be intelligent.

Considering that most of my arguments are based off of logic and common sense.... yeah, pretty much. Laughing
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Wait-- No character commentaries on the Nisemonogatari set?? The price isn't much of an issue but I would like the character commentaries to be included, like they were for the Bakemonogatari set.

This. Only reason I was considering picking up the original series even though we've watched it to death was the commentaries. I know it's a lot of work, but that extra mile justifies the premium price in my mind. Now you're basically paying out the nose for the toothbrush scene.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
My common sense is tingling... it says you've got an overinflated ego and aren't actually the arbiter of reasonableness.

But it must be wrong, because there's no way the great SpacemanHardy would ever make petulant remarks because he was jelly AoA didn't cater to him.
JPDesu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I just commented to say HELL NO.

I understand that it is an import and Aniplex's/Japan's pricing models but I am very happy with my Standard DVD release for $45.00 and do not see the justification for me to invest more than triple for a crisper picture.

The commentary sounds nice but even Madoka at $225 reduced price for all Bluray limited has more extras - Soundtrack, cards, stickers, booklets and a dub.

But for those who want to invest...have fun!

Last edited by JPDesu on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Let me put it this way:

If someone took a cookie that was worth 99¢ and put it in a $40 wrapper, would you buy it? Knowing good and well that the cookie inside was cheap but the wrapper was "pretty"?
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Currently, the OreImo BD-Box is selling for 21,300 yen (27% off MSRP of 29,400 yen) at Amazon Japan. That's $237.28 USD at the current exchange rate. Aniplex of America has a MSRP of $328.29 USD, which is around 89.1 yen per dollar, very close to the current exchange rate. The issue is that the $278.29 USD price is only around 15% off from MSRP. You save 12% more on the set if you order from Amazon (discounting shipping costs from both RS/Amazon). That's where it's crazy; not the pricing since it is an import.

They've solved the reverse-importing problem! All they had to do is make the other guys pay more. Yay for them. Now bend over and take it like a man, American fan.

Last edited by Kohii on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
JPDesu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Let me put it this way:

If someone took a cookie that was worth 99¢ and put it in a $40 wrapper, would you buy it? Knowing good and well that the cookie inside was cheap but the wrapper was "pretty"?

I love this analogy so much!. - its a great show, but not an original golden ticket...and it can still be watched on Crunchyroll or on DVD.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe the JP release has English subs, but I might be wrong on that.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
So you have to pay HOW MUCH for HOW MANY episodes?

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Yes, as hard as it is to believe, there are actual people who are not native to Japan who are willing to drop nearly $300 for the privilege of owning Oreimo on bluray disc.

I believe the term for such people is "morons".

I agree absolutely.

But apparently there are enough of them that Aniplex would be even bigger morons if they altered their pricing.

Anyway, when you get to discounts from Rightstuf and other places from sales and the like, it's probably not nearly as astronomical as it seems, even if it's still unreasonable.

Hell, I'm still collecting Gundam Unicorn from Bandai Visual. Apparently I'm stupid enough to shell out fifty bucks for an hour of content.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't believe the JP release has English subs, but I might be wrong on that.
This is a direct import of the Japanese release. Since Aniplex acknowledges it has English subtitles, then the Japanese release must have English subtitles since they're literally shipping sets over and to RS/other retailers to release in NA. There's not even a booklet to translate like Garden of Sinners or Fate/Zero.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I am not surprised about these releases. I am happy that Nisemonogatari is coming out this quick. And the asking price is right for me. As far as the Oreimo BD'S, the animation did not seem that amazing to really need blu-ray. I am perfectly happy with my DVD copy of Oreimo.

And as much as I support Aniplex USA's business model, I think that what they are asking for Oreimo is ridiculous. True, it is an import, but couldn't Aniplex make an in house BD release and price it under $150?
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
really really really indeed are you serious bro?!

oh come give sure price range, eps per discs, bonus goods items, & ya-da rest of everything else.

but one problem-o is that what about ENGLISH dub on it besides some of us are dub watchers so what about them?

do really wait more til increase price or something til dub arrive?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
As someone who actually sells Aniplex product for me their most popular product is the baccano blurays. (note I don't sell madoka) those are around $60 maybe they should have gotten a hint from that series about what actually SELLS also I am sick and tried of some of the crap that they pull, and have pulled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14