• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shonen Jump Launches 3-Language Manga Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
Ahh I see, that's a really clear way of putting it. I'm still a little worried but that response helps tons, since I usually see shonen manga as "accessible, but generic". Thanks a bunch!

To add to Juno016's response, it is really just a demographic label, determined purely by the publisher. There are some genre connotations but any attempt at trying to ascribe or pigeon-hole genre content to demographic labels always fails.

For every example, there are counter-examples. There are many titles that are published as Shounen that many in the West/US do not think of as Shounen and likewise there are many Seinen titles many do not think of as Seinen. People can make the opposite assumptions about the two and are usually surprised--or shocked--to find out. Heck, there are some titles people assume are Shoujo, but turn out to be Seinen.

That said, sometimes publishers will designate certain publications to more genre-specific subclasses of Shounen i.e. they are all Shounen, but sometimes they divvy up by content into certain magazines. So instead of "Shounen", it might be more accurate to say the submission should be "Shounen-Jump" appropriate. After all, there are a tone of magazines Shueisha publishes, and several in the "Jump" franchise

But even that description can be problematic, especially if used as a submission guideline. For example, the pure romance, multi-relationship title Hatsukoi Gentei (Hatsukoi Limited) was published in Shounen Jump.

Sometimes they may consider titles that break the assumed Shounen Jump mold. It's possible Shueisha may premiere it there, then decide what other magazines are more appropriate, since they already shuffle works around their publication lines
Banjo

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm not into one shots Confused also I think Shojo is more suited for it. Well, its cool they did it though.
heavymountain

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
People at art schools and artists, who are big fans of manga, associated with Marvel, DC, Darkhorse, and others have caught whiff of it. They're seasoned pros. The judges will filter out half-assed work that most weaboos plan to put out.
lLuffyl

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
This is like a dream opportunity. I'm going to give it my all and try this out. I cannot draw amazingly, but I have time to do it. I have a great story that's been in my head for years now.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
@configspace

Oh, I already know all that stuff. But that's precisely why I was asking in the first place, since the rules specify "keep it shonen genre!" when shonen isn't even a genre, but a demographic...

Heck, something like hetalia is published in a Seinen magazine and as someone who was reading the webcomic long before it got serialized, seinen is pretty much the last demo I'd categorize hetalia as, personally.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
Does this have a chance to move there too? Or will you be stuck at home in your terrible country?
kdmccaskill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
I have a great story and script ready to go if an manga artist
wants to team up with me

A futuristic Swordsman mafia story, involving 12 year old boys

email is [email protected]

I was wondering if you wanted to team up with me again for a Shonen Jump Manga Contest,
This project I cannot pay for, just looking to team up, and hope we can win the $5000 prize

[EDIT: Sorry, but the the script makes your post way too big. If anyone is interested, please PM the user for details. -TK]
wewe11

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:14 am Reply with quote
i wish i can join to that contests.I made a manga before and i can use that to the contest but the problem is i do not have an image scanner!!!
Dox108

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Im thinking of entering this manga competition but i don't know how i would send it to company. Someone reply please because it doesn't say i think
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Dox108 wrote:
Im thinking of entering this manga competition but i don't know how i would send it to company. Someone reply please because it doesn't say i think

You have to submit this registration form from the official contest site.
machigeritafan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
Can I send more than one one-shot?(*´∀`*)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3