• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: KyoAni's Free! Swimming Anime Already Has Its Own Dōjinshi Event

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy

I think it would be more newsworthy to list out a series that didn't get its own dojinshi.

One thing's for sure: nothing beats free advertising, and this certainly could help boost the series... when it's released.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Well of course, if you compare it to Monogatari or Madoka, nothing freaking sells like that, but every of UtaPri's S2 singles have sold more than 20K copies each, and that's four of them already plus the opening (with probably two or three more coming). That's 100K only on CDs. Girls& Panzer, considered a huge sales hit, sold 30K on BD.

I believe that is called cherry picking. You use UtaPri because it's the best selling "fujoshi" anime, which averaged out to 17,868 sales per volume, yet are using a "mid success" otaku series like Girls un Panzer which averaged out to 32,467 per volume anime (still almost double). Best for best would pit it against series that have sold over 70K and 100K. A better comparison and grasp of the market would be to compare how big is the gap between UtaPri and the next series. Which is quite a lot. I don't see any problem with saying fujoshi shows do not sell as well as otaku shows.

Mesonaxian Eve wrote:
I think it would be more newsworthy to list out a series that didn't get its own dojinshi.

That's true, lots of series get doujinshi and events. And as others have mentioned, just because it gets an event doesn't mean it's a big one.

lostrune wrote:
Wouldn't it be funny if the manga runs in a shounen/seinen magazine?

I think you can already consider this show shounen/seinen. Everything KyoAni has done is shounen or seinen. So technically this is in the same category as Kuroko.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Well of course, if you compare it to Monogatari or Madoka, nothing freaking sells like that, but every of UtaPri's S2 singles have sold more than 20K copies each, and that's four of them already plus the opening (with probably two or three more coming). That's 100K only on CDs. Girls& Panzer, considered a huge sales hit, sold 30K on BD.

I believe that is called cherry picking. You use UtaPri because it's the best selling "fujoshi" anime, which averaged out to 17,868 sales per volume, yet are using a "mid success" otaku series like Girls un Panzer which averaged out to 32,467 per volume anime (still almost double). Best for best would pit it against series that have sold over 70K and 100K. A better comparison and grasp of the market would be to compare how big is the gap between UtaPri and the next series. Which is quite a lot. I don't see any problem with saying fujoshi shows do not sell as well as otaku shows.

You call G&P a medium hit, but in previous threads it was used as a comparison like "Look at G&P it's such a surprising and [expletive] amazing hit it sold all this [expletive] stuff and it's such a hit it's going to change the industry like all these fujoshi shows that only sell 10K will never do". So please make up your mind. Series that sell 100K are not that common, even among otaku shows, like I said trying to compare fujoshi shows to all-time best-sellers is cherry-picking
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
I hope this backfires on KyoAni.

Stay mad, your tears fuel me so much.

Quote:
I believe that is called cherry picking.

You're last goddamn person to be accusing others of cherry-picking.

Quote:
I don't see any problem with saying fujoshi shows do not sell as well as otaku shows.

Shows with smaller fanbases* sell less than shows with higher fanbases? Stop the [expletive] presses, TitanXL HAS SAID SOMETHING TRULY UNKNOWN

*:this is ignoring how the smaller fanbase is like that due to patriarchy.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

Mesonaxian Eve wrote:

That's true, lots of series get doujinshi and events. And as others have mentioned, just because it gets an event doesn't mean it's a big one.

lostrune wrote:

I think you can already consider this show shounen/seinen. Everything KyoAni has done is shounen or seinen. So technically this is in the same category as Kuroko.

Why are you so dedicated to handwaving/downplaying/dismissing the moderate buying power of the fujoshi market? You're single-mindedly focused on making sure everyone knows this isn't a big deal, women don't buy things like otaku do, blah blah blah.

We get your point: the otaku market is bigger. Why do you feel the need to restate that again and again and again, to the irritation of everyone, while making yourself look like you have an honest-to-god dislike or even fear of female anime fans? Why do you need to constantly try and position yourself and the community you identify with as superior to them?
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
@ Titan XL, I don't see any reason why Free! cannot do as well KuroBas and GuP was the best selling show of the Fall 2012 season so using that against KuroBas, the 2nd best selling show of Spring 2012 is perfectly valid.

As a GuP fan, I hope that GuP winds up beating SAO's average. And fujoshi have a right to have a show that they can fangirl about. They are a loyal fanbase when they find something they love and they are somewhat underserved as compared to with moe otaku.

[I also agree with Chagen on this, but I am not going down that rabbit hole]
Alexander55

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Its fine for girls to have their own Ecchi/fanservicy Anime.. We get lots of Anime with moe, ecchi, bishoujo, and fan-service to cater to a lot of us and yet girls, which are equally populate the Otaku market as us guys, hardly get as many shows catered to them as we do.

So I don't see a problem with this. I actually believe there needs to be more shows for them to enjoy to bring out their inner pervy selves. Wink

No I'm not going to watch this. But neither am I going to rally against it. Just let them watch what they what while we watch ours. Cool
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I don't see any problem with saying fujoshi shows do not sell as well as otaku shows.

I don't see any problem with saying the fujoshi market is GROWING.

Businesses like to target growing markets, and in this case, fujoshi buy titles beyond what is specifically targeted to them, so they are a valuable market to attract.

I think they way you continually downgrade the fujoshi market is nothing more than a hilarious display of paranoid denial.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
On the disparity between otaku-bait and fujoshi-bait anime sales, I believe that the fujoshi are comparatively poorer. That is, among the female population with money to spend, there are less fujoshi among them.

Anime is after all, hugely expensive in Japan, and most anime in general do not sell well at all either. Even when sales reaches the tens of thousands per volume, that itself is only a tiny fraction of the fans i.e. 30k - 50k persons who buy the huge hits is still tiny out of a pool of a few million fans.

Alluding to what I mentioned earlier, there are socio-economic differences that play a role. There are relatively more otaku who are either willing to sacrifice a lot, perhaps to the detriment of lifestyle, to spend on anime, or more salarymen who earn more discretionary income and maintain their otaku hobbies. There are relatively fewer fujoshi/female-otaku among higher income OL/salarywomen. We don't even have to look at gender differences between income. Out of the same large pool of millions of men vs millions of women earning the same amount, who's willing to spend more on anime? I believe the women with more discretionary income choose to spend it other stuff.

If I recall, some Japanese fan tweeted about being glad to find Black Butler anime online and she was admonished by the mangaka in some rant.

Combine those already unfavorable commercial odds of buyers vs fans, with the socio-economic differences, then the disparity is the result. However, this is just for anime--the most expensive part of the fandom. For merchandise, cosplay, and for manga and doujinshi, there is not much of a disparity at all. Heck, I'd bet female fans spend more money on cosplay than male fans. Comiket stats show a slight majority (~60%) female attendance, and the female oriented doujinshi, including explicit material, is overwhelming.

That said:
AbZeroNow wrote:
@ Titan XL, I don't see any reason why Free! cannot do as well KuroBas and GuP was the best selling show of the Fall 2012 season so using that against KuroBas, the 2nd best selling show of Spring 2012 is perfectly valid.

I think so too. I wouldn't be surprised if this also became a huge hit

TitanXL wrote:
lostrune wrote:

In the another thread Mizuki-Takashima reminded us that Hetalia runs in a Seinen mag
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
But somehow, women are losing ground in doujinshi circles. At Comiket, women were 71% of circle organizers in 2004, and only 60% of circle organizers in 2009. (According to Comiket's report)
Lyrai

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Hamu wrote:
dm wrote:
Let me introduce you to this phenomenon known as "Touhou".....

Don't the Touhou girls appear in games, have a story, personality, etc? Or they are up to interpretation like Vocaloids?

Mostly the latter, based on the former. ZUN will give them one or two lines of personality in the game, and the fans will then just sort of wantonly decide the deeper/obsessive parts based on these.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
@Zac

Isn't it a bit rash to declare a series as having a shonen or seinen demographic when it hasn't even aired yet?

[EDIT: Please don't overquote. -TK]
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Hey, as long as terrorists aren't threatening the events, it's off to a good start.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Alexander55 wrote:

So I don't see a problem with this. I actually believe there needs to be more shows for them to enjoy to bring out their inner pervy selves. Wink

No I'm not going to watch this. But neither am I going to rally against it. Just let them watch what they what while we watch ours. Cool

Hey it worked for Fifty Shades. Smile
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Why are you so dedicated to handwaving/downplaying/dismissing the moderate buying power of the fujoshi market? You're single-mindedly focused on making sure everyone knows this isn't a big deal, women don't buy things like otaku do, blah blah blah.

We get your point: the otaku market is bigger. Why do you feel the need to restate that again and again and again, to the irritation of everyone, while making yourself look like you have an honest-to-god dislike or even fear of female anime fans? Why do you need to constantly try and position yourself and the community you identify with as superior to them?

Stating facts is handwaving now? I'm merely replying/correcting certain people about things. I wasn't even the first person to do so, either, just adding on to other's discussions.

CrowLia wrote:
You call G&P a medium hit, but in previous threads it was used as a comparison like "Look at G&P it's such a surprising and [expletive] amazing hit it sold all this [expletive] stuff and it's such a hit it's going to change the industry like all these fujoshi shows that only sell 10K will never do". So please make up your mind. Series that sell 100K are not that common, even among otaku shows, like I said trying to compare fujoshi shows to all-time best-sellers is cherry-picking

I never said that latter portion, so I don't see why you're bringing that up on me.

And you picking the best seller is not cherry picking? So only one side is able to use their best seller in an argument while the other can't? Please explain how that isn't clear cherry picking. Like I said, a better look would be to compare the gap between titles.

tuxedocat wrote:
I don't see any problem with saying the fujoshi market is GROWING.

Of course it's growing, it's been growing for ages. I realized back when Level 5 started catering to them five years ago and a lot of other companies following suit. I've never denied nor said I hated anything so I'd appreciate if you didn't put words in my mouth.

wrote:
In the another thread Mizuki-Takashima reminded us that Hetalia runs in a Seinen mag

Yes Hetalia is seinen which is why certain people here say it "doesn't count" when it comes to the market. Because people would rather argue the semantics of demographics rather than what people actually like to watch and read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6