• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Blazers/Yamato 2199 #1's English Dub Shown at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I am with the purists. I refuse to support Star Blazers 2199 because of the name changes. Even if the video is not edited, I would hate it every time the Yamato is called Argo.

I am sure Anglicized Yamato 2199 will be cheaper to buy, but I am going with the more expensive (and beautiful looking) Japanese releases.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
You guys who are complaining about the changes DO know that Voyager is a Japanese company and is calling the shots, right? If you're really that disappointed then go yell at them.

Isn't that what I'm doing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Interesting... shame there's no video of the dub. Have to agree with the anti-name change side of the argument though; the onscreen appearances of the Yamato name and of the character's names on duty patches, screens, etc. would always be jarring, as would be the use of 'dubtitles' with the japanese audio track. The fact that the subs on those promo trailers change the Yamato's name to Argo but keep Okita and Kodai's names intact seems particulary strange and illogical.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
As someone who watched Star Blazers back in the 70s, I do have a fond memory of the Argo, Wildstar, Captain Avatar, and all the rest. However, I would be fine with them maintaining the Japanese names this time around. While nostalgia is certainly a factor, the story of the show itself is the main draw for me. I still remember how blown away I was by the storyline and the idea of a show that wasn't episodic in nature.

Anyway, I'll be getting this no matter what names they use.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
My two cents; as long as the subs for the Japanese audio have the proper nomenclature for "Yamato", the characters, etc. then that's good enough. If that isn't the case, then that would a dumb decision for Voyage to make.

But honestly, the people having a period over MUH NAME CHANGES IN THE DUB don't seem to realize they're going with what seems like a safe bet: that is, the vast majority of people who watched Yamato in English did so under the Star Blazers title with the adapted terminology. It's just a safe bet so maybe those who remember Star Blazers in the 70s and 80s will want to dive right into this new adaptation of the franchise, as opposed to being hesitant about it when it's under the Japanese title that they most likely had no idea about when they watched the original show as kids.

And as for the discrepancy between "Argo" in the dub and "Yamato" written in English in the show? Wow, is your autism so overbearing that your immersion in a show is shattered by the differences between two words your seeing and hearing?
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:

And as for the discrepancy between "Argo" in the dub and "Yamato" written in English in the show? Wow, is your autism so overbearing that your immersion in a show is shattered by the differences between two words your seeing and hearing?

If you're new to the series and they leave the text the same, you'll hear the characters constantly reference the 'Argo' but the text will keep referencing something called the 'Yamato'. If you don't know much about the series, or if your only exposure was the Star Blazers release, you would be really, really confused by the two contradictory details.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
ActionJacksin wrote:

If you're new to the series and they leave the text the same, you'll hear the characters constantly reference the 'Argo' but the text will keep referencing something called the 'Yamato'. If you don't know much about the series, or if your only exposure was the Star Blazers release, you would be really, really confused by the two contradictory details.

Then either Voyager or IG could easily explain somewhere (either in the packaging or maybe as a translator note in the subtitles) the differences between the English and Japanese terminology.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:
My two cents; as long as the subs for the Japanese audio have the proper nomenclature for "Yamato", the characters, etc. then that's good enough. If that isn't the case, then that would a dumb decision for Voyage to make.

But honestly, the people having a period over MUH NAME CHANGES IN THE DUB don't seem to realize they're going with what seems like a safe bet: that is, the vast majority of people who watched Yamato in English did so under the Star Blazers title with the adapted terminology. It's just a safe bet so maybe those who remember Star Blazers in the 70s and 80s will want to dive right into this new adaptation of the franchise, as opposed to being hesitant about it when it's under the Japanese title that they most likely had no idea about when they watched the original show as kids.

Geez.. what is it with ANN board members that are deficient in actual manners? God.. I did a mistake thinking we could actually have a proper discussion here.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Question, why is it that name changes are so hated when they come from Japan to America, and when they go from America to elsewhere no one cares? Turn the Spanish or French tracks on Batman, Superman, PPG, and X-Men Evo dvds and you'll notice some guys have different names.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:

Except that it still isn't the real name of the show and that's not the real name of the ship.

I understand putting the show under the banner of "Star Blazers" for international promotional purposes, but that isn't the name of the show. It shouldn't be on the DVDs/Blu-Rays and it shouldn't be in the opening credits. (Maybe if the DVDs have "Yamato 2199: The New Starblazers" on the cover or something.)

I don't see the connection between autism and wanting things the way they were intended to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tochiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Kenshiroh wrote:
The American Average wrote:
Still, Captain Avatar and Derek Wildstar should still be their names Razz

Do they still have the cat in this version? They could add Jackson Galaxy in there too! Rolling Eyes

The cat never boards the ship in this version.

And as many other have said - theres a completely acceptable alternative available in the Japanese blurays which are not only English subtitled but are also region free. Want to support the Japanese version and show that you dont approve of (potential) changes to the 'International version'? Money talks people. (FYI, I have all the JPN BD to date and have seen every chapter in the cinema at least twice myself. For a series THIS good I put my money where my mouth is).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Domestic versions should be accurate, too. If you can't sell the show the way it's intended, don't license it.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:

I'm not sure if you were alive at the point of Robotech but I was for Starblazers which preceded Robotech by a number of years.

Yes. I was 7 when I first saw Star Blazers; I was 11 when I first saw Robotech. Both as they first aired on TV in Australia in the 1980s. Would watch the former late in the afternoon lineup, where it was over the years cycled through Astroboy, Battle of the Planets, and later Voltron. The latter I'd get up before the sun to watch at its 6am timeslot during winter. I saw every airing of both series.

Arsenette wrote:

The point of the argument was the fan backlash of people wanting to see the ORIGINAL unaltered version of the show they were watching. It's been 30 years since that happened but whoever made this video and is marketing it to MY Generation is doing a disservice by doing this.. a mishmash of the nostalgia + the direct translation of what was on the screen is not a way to please the crowd that have been waiting these 30 years for a decent Bluray of the original content.

Don't get me wrong, I'm of the school that the Japanese names should be retained, ALL of them. The ship especially. If they leave the Argo Project as the only reference to the original series', it's a good thing.

As for the original series on Blu-Ray, who knows? The first season's Blu-ray release has only been on the Japanese market for six months or so, if they sell 2199 right, they may release a subtitled version of the remaster after all this time. I'll probably end up buying the Japanese releases anyway.

Arsenette wrote:
And yes I bring up Robotech because it wasn't the same story. Period.

Overall story, yes. Origins of the SDF-1, Zentraedi, and the like, yes. Overall plot and character interactions, very little. Same characters in a love triangle, same characters marry, same characters die. I'm only too happy to admit that the whole SDF-2 and fate of the bridge crew was a shambles. At the end of the day though, the character interactions and major events in the story were pretty much intact. Overall though, Robotech was what it had to be to sell. I don't remember hearing too many complaints among fans about it though. You want to complain about a series being butchered, I direct you to Gatchaman (which as sad as it was, also a necessity of the time).

Macross has since been released in its original form at least twice, once by AnimEigo and later with a full literal dub by ADV. So the people who wanted to see the original had more than their opportunity to get it.

Sorry, but it really bugs me when people bash Robotech for its very being. It had an important role in the anime industry outside Japan and people seem to forget that.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Tochiro wrote:
Kenshiroh wrote:
The American Average wrote:
Still, Captain Avatar and Derek Wildstar should still be their names Razz

Do they still have the cat in this version? They could add Jackson Galaxy in there too! Rolling Eyes

The cat never boards the ship in this version.

And didn't in the original either until Yamato II/Comet Empire. In the original, Dr Sado uses his video call to Earth time to talk to his cat, and laments that there's no sake in space.
Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
That's one of the best episodes of the original, too.

"SAYANORA!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6