• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-11-04]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Forget translators. I spoke with Saisuke Moriyama about it at Anime Boston 2005.

Argh, in that case, this piece of info should have been included both in Answerman column and as a comment in its Encyclopedia entry.

However, I'm still confused with Abarenbo Shogun's post about the audio commentary. I've never seen/hear the comment myself, so I wonder if Mr. Ayres and/or every production staff at ADV had mistaken or what? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
devil_diclonius_D wrote:
what is "the flake of the week"? what are we supposed to do with it?

Flake of the week is the dumbest question he's gotton. I think because he has a "flake of the week" section people with dumb questions are afraid to ask.

And my entry (one of them), was better then what won. But then, my opinion is scewed due to my perfect judgement.

All the best,

Nani?
Treeloot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
That is a very special Inuyasha DVD collection. I think it is the one where they kill a lot of demons.
afnj

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm just throwing a little tid bit about merchandise being sold in stores before the release date. I also work for a major retail store (Costco) and just about all books and DVDs come in to the store weeks before they are released. And we have made a few mistakes by putting them out early. I'm not sure about all stores but at most the cash register will catch on if someone is trying to buy a new release early. At Costco it beeps and refuses to scan the item displaying "can not sell untill *yada yada date*". now Video games for some reason are different. If someone tells you "such and such game has this release date" they are wrong. Video games don't have release dates they have shipping dates. at the store I work at we didn't have Halo 2 untill the day after it's "release" date. And when Grand Turismo 4 was released I was wondering the the mall from opening till 1:30pm when UPS finaly arrived. I'm not sure why the video game industry does it different. Afraid of the risk of pre-date sales?

I didn't add much to this thread just thought I'd share.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Nani? wrote:

It's never a waste of time.... Even if the series sucks, there is always..... Ebay.

Also, this is the first time I thought what won Tsukihime was lame. Of course, he must have really gotten some lame responses on that.

All the best,

Nani?

Yeah, to be honest, it was slim pickings. It was a tough picture to caption, and I just didn't get a lot of great ones.

The one I chose made me laugh a little so I went with that one, but in the future I'm going to try and pick screencaps that are a little easier to riff on.

Yeah, in all honesty I didn't think mine would win. I didn't think it was particularly funny, but thinking up anything funny for that picture was like blood from a stone-it didn't lend itself very well to comedy like some of the others.

But on the other hand, everyone loves perverted butterflies. And those who say they don't are liars.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
afnj wrote:
I'm just throwing a little tid bit about merchandise being sold in stores before the release date.

I'll toss out my experience from the past. Back when I worked in bookstores the release date was just a rough estimate. Few books ever require holding until a specific date, and then mainly as part of a publicity ploy (Harry Potter etc.).

The publishers just want to sell stuff, and if they ship it early and you put it out early that's usually fine with them. Tho' usually the items hit the stores after the set date due to printing and shipping delays.
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Nani? wrote:

It's never a waste of time.... Even if the series sucks, there is always..... Ebay.

Also, this is the first time I thought what won Tsukihime was lame. Of course, he must have really gotten some lame responses on that.

All the best,

Nani?

Yeah, to be honest, it was slim pickings. It was a tough picture to caption, and I just didn't get a lot of great ones.

The one I chose made me laugh a little so I went with that one, but in the future I'm going to try and pick screencaps that are a little easier to riff on.

I thought the cab joke was funnier or hte one I wrote of course if I could only remember what I sent you zac I would of posted it here but don't remember, oh well lol.

Also, as far as the prize go I'm entering just to see if I can win personally I hate Inuyasha just because it feels like the exact samething over and over again and the characters are boring the only one I like is Inuyasha's brother. But even if I don't like the show might as well enter to try and win it and if I do well I'll have it in my collection(wont watch it but h ave it just to be in there).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
Wow. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling guilty about reading Gantz. It not only feels guilty, but rather cheap and tawdry. It's like an anime reality show, but with aliens and tons of sex and buckets of blood. Now Berserk or Hellsing ahve crazy gore and sex, but for some reason thsoe feel acceptable and have integrity. They seem rather classy compared to Gantz. Yet I keep wanting to check out the damn thing.

Also, I rather miss the misspelling in the orignal title Chrno Crusade. It did make it distinct from the well known RPGs. Hell, it made it stand out period. I don't care their resoning, I think ADV made a mistake and missed a chance to have their manga and anime stand out just a little bit more. Also, upon reading this article, I was reminded that I am WAY behind on both the manga and anime. Dammit.

_Xenos
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
That is a very special Inuyasha DVD collection. I think it is the one where they kill a lot of demons.

It's also the one where nothing gets accomplished... oh wait, that's every one... *shot*

Regardless, I entered.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:38 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Anyways, I find it very unreasonable to think this was a trademark issue. Chrono Crusade is a very different name from Chrono Trigger, trademarks generally apply to full names, and only across a specific medium.

Yes, let us ignore the whole Detective Conan/Conan the Barbarian issue... Rolling Eyes
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:41 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
tempest wrote:
Anyways, I find it very unreasonable to think this was a trademark issue. Chrono Crusade is a very different name from Chrono Trigger, trademarks generally apply to full names, and only across a specific medium.

Yes, let us ignore the whole Detective Conan/Conan the Barbarian issue... Rolling Eyes

That's what I don't understand. The two biggest sci-fi fandom, Star Trek and Star Wars, share 50% of their titles, and there are still countless "common folks" who confuse the two, yet I don't see Paramount and Lucasarts fighting for name rights, so why it only happened to Detective Conan and Conan the Barbarian?

Abarenbo Shogun, if you have the chance, could you double check the audio commentary on DVD? Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
tempest wrote:

That's what I don't understand. The two biggest sci-fi fandom, Star Trek and Star Wars, share 50% of their titles, and there are still countless "common folks" who confuse the two, yet I don't see Paramount and Lucasarts fighting for name rights, so why it only happened to Detective Conan and Conan the Barbarian?

Abarenbo Shogun, if you have the chance, could you double check the audio commentary on DVD? Thanks in advance.

Yeah I ran into folks who don't know the difference between star wars and star trek. And I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall when trying to explain to them the difference. Some people just not into that stuff. As far as name rights....people just want to argue or sue over anything for money or for popularity or because they really don't have much to do with their time. In my opinion Detective Conan and Conan the Barbarian well Conan is a name.....come on companies if some one decided to make a movie called Ray Lee or something I guess the company that made the movie Ray for Ray Charles can sue to get that name changed.....just bull crap of course this is all opinionated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:57 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Wow. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling guilty about reading Gantz. It not only feels guilty, but rather cheap and tawdry. It's like an anime reality show, but with aliens and tons of sex and buckets of blood. Now Berserk or Hellsing ahve crazy gore and sex, but for some reason thsoe feel acceptable and have integrity. They seem rather classy compared to Gantz. Yet I keep wanting to check out the damn thing.

Also, I rather miss the misspelling in the orignal title Chrno Crusade. It did make it distinct from the well known RPGs. Hell, it made it stand out period. I don't care their resoning, I think ADV made a mistake and missed a chance to have their manga and anime stand out just a little bit more. Also, upon reading this article, I was reminded that I am WAY behind on both the manga and anime. Dammit.

_Xenos

Hellsing has integrity? LOL it's good action fluff. Seriously, go read something else because Hellsing and Berserk are the two most overrated "violent" series among fan. Berserk is pretty good, but typical fans treat it like like it's the bible of manga or something.

Reading Gantz is like a guilty pleasure, you definitely checking it out for the violence and nudity. The player characters in constant danger and can die at any moment keeps the manga suspenseful, because you really want to see who survive.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:11 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
tempest wrote:

Redshirts Die in Star Trek, and Stormtroppers die en masse in Star Wars.

Tribbles vs. Ewoks: which furry pest is more annoying?
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:40 am Reply with quote
I don't buy the :it was a typo and ADV fixed it" arguement. The "It sounded too much like Chrono Trigger/Cross" arguement makes WAY more sense, especially since "Chrno" is not a logical mispelling of "Korono", the original creator would have to be completely clueless about English, as would every editor and publisher involved in the project, to make so massive a mistake, and enough people know English in Japan to make that virtually impossible.

I sure as hell thought it was a Chrono Trigger spin-off myself when I first heard of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4