• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What could have made a series better.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Allow me to refer you to this post, where I've already dealt with this. PantsGoblin is right, and dormcat is wrong. Most developed nations allow marriage between first cousins.

Actually angel_lover was the one who first said that. I don't want to take credit for something I didn't do.
Iemander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Let me just add to that that although I'm unaware if it's legal or not here in this part of Europe. It's certainly regarded as very weird and uncommon.

I once had the daughter of my brother-in-law flirting with me, and yes it did disgust me, even if this girl had no blood relation with me at all.

I just think it's something you just don't do. Familly -> Familly, even if you don't have a blood relation.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
Let me just add to that that although I'm unaware if it's legal or not here in this part of Europe. It's certainly regarded as very weird and uncommon.

I once had the daughter of my brother-in-law flirting with me, and yes it did disgust me, even if this girl had no blood relation with me at all.

I just think it's something you just don't do. Familly -> Familly, even if you don't have a blood relation.

Well, if you'd looked at the post that I mentioned, you would have seen this:

abunai wrote:
Having said all that, the issue here isn't law, but social taboo. In most Western countries, Denmark included, marrying close to the limits of the incest legislation is considered socially unacceptable.

So yes, as I'd already mentioned in that post, the issue isn't law (which doesn't prohibit it) or genetics (which really aren't as dreadfully prohibitive in this regard as the rumours imply - though bad recessive genes are no joke), but rather social taboo.

While we're on that topic, this particular social taboo on first-cousin marriage is actually the exception, rather than the rule, historically. Many cultures have had a custom of cousin-marriage, and some have even had ritualised marriage of brother to sister (the pharaohs of ancient Egypt spring to mind).

- abunai
Actually, my cousin is pretty hot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:36 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
While we're on that topic, this particular social taboo on first-cousin marriage is actually the exception, rather than the rule, historically. Many cultures have had a custom of cousin-marriage, and some have even had ritualised marriage of brother to sister (the pharaohs of ancient Egypt spring to mind)

It's been claimed that if you take the long view of human history, around 80% of all relationships would have been with first cousins. This is presumably because populations would have been much smaller and much more scattered than they are today, and mobility would be a lot less. So if you lived in an isolated extended family group, you wouldn't really have much choice other than a cousin.

As for the pharaohs, by the time they got round to the brother-sister thing, weren't they Greeks playing at being Egyptians? I think it's still disputed as to whether incestuous marriage was a cultural tradition in ancient Egypt, but yes the Ptolemys certainly did it.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:57 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
abunai wrote:
While we're on that topic, this particular social taboo on first-cousin marriage is actually the exception, rather than the rule, historically. Many cultures have had a custom of cousin-marriage, and some have even had ritualised marriage of brother to sister (the pharaohs of ancient Egypt spring to mind)

It's been claimed that if you take the long view of human history, around 80% of all relationships would have been with first cousins. This is presumably because populations would have been much smaller and much more scattered than they are today, and mobility would be a lot less. So if you lived in an isolated extended family group, you wouldn't really have much choice other than a cousin.

Excellent point. Even if incest were not the result, the available pool of marriage prospects was very small (and still is, in rural/remote areas). I once dated a girl whose surname was geographic - the name of a village in Jutland. My family came from the neighbouring village (though we don't use the village name). I can say with a fair degree of certainty that our great-great-grandparents knew each other - and that we were probably related, even if distantly. Rural life is like that.

angel_lover wrote:
As for the pharaohs, by the time they got round to the brother-sister thing, weren't they Greeks playing at being Egyptians? I think it's still disputed as to whether incestuous marriage was a cultural tradition in ancient Egypt, but yes the Ptolemys certainly did it.

I believe it has been accepted that the Ptolemys took over the custom from the previous pharaonic dynasties. Currently, I think, the debate is between Lewis' viewpoint (that incestuous marriages were common throughout all levels of society in ancient Egypt) and Tyldesley's (that the royal family's incestuous marriages were an expression of hypergamy, the practice of forbidding individuals, the royal females in this case, marrying beneath their social level - not of a specific tradition of incest).

I'll see if I can find some more literature in support of this. Ancient Egypt is slightly outside my area of expertise (I minored in ancient and mediaeval studies, but the focus of that field tends to be on Greece and Rome).

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I once dated a girl whose surname was geographic - the name of a village in Jutland. My family came from the neighbouring village (though we don't use the village name).

Anywhere near Lønstrup?

Boy, we are so off-topic...
Anthony P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
TAKAVAR wrote:

actually , in elfen lied, if kouta didn't spoiler[ kiss lucy who killed a crap load of people, including his own family, it would be less wierd. for god's sake. it would be better that kouta had killed her as promised. (he promised her in the bus back from zoo that he'll kill her if she was to kill a lot of people ) ]

Really? I thought that moment between Kouta and Lucy was the true climax of the series, and gave the story the dramatic clout it was building towards. Furthermore, spoiler[if Kouta had killed Lucy, Elfen Lied would have had the overdone I-don't-want-to-kill-him/her-but-I-have-to-for-his/her-own-good ending. Their kiss showed that even after all of the horrific things Lucy had done, and had done onto her, that she could still have feelings for someone, and that someone could still have feelings for her as well.][/quote]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
abunai wrote:
I once dated a girl whose surname was geographic - the name of a village in Jutland. My family came from the neighbouring village (though we don't use the village name).

Anywhere near Lønstrup?

Actually the villages in question were Sall and Hammel, both located very close to Århus. Lønstrup is rather far North of that, near Hjørring.

angel_lover wrote:
Boy, we are so off-topic...

Yah, but we get to use a lot of cool characters like Å and Ø. Smile

- abunai
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:

Actually, Dormcat is wrong for once - the only developed country which forbids first-cousin marriage is the USA, and even then only in 24 out of the 50 states.

Okay, even if he's wrong about Japan being the only nation to allow it, the fact remains that Japan DOES allow it, therefore making the romantic situation in Elfen Lied NOT wrong or taboo in the eyes of those who created it and the audience for whom it was created (=the Japanese). That was my original point in bringing that evidence in, not to debate the pros and cons of "kissing cousins" or international marital laws and drag the post into O/T limbo.

Okay, this is the last time I quote someone else's external evidence from another post--I'll let dormcat or whoever else handle it themsleves. Apologies.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote
I never will get why this would bother people to begin with, siblings I could see, but cousins?

(I do however recal reading that growing up close to a member of the opposite sex develops a sexual aversion to that person, so I can see how those of us who were raised as only children would not much understand those who were not)

As far as my picks:

Mai-Hime:

spoiler[I love the show and am eagerly downloading Otome as it comes out, but the reset at the end almost ruins it. The comical tone of the whole thing (like Natsuki just leaving things at "I'm sorry" after taking out half the characters in her psycho lesbian rampage) as well as the back-to-square-one final scene bother me tremendously. Please leave dead characters dead!]

School Rumble:

spoiler[Yes I know the manga is not finished, but the anime should have just trown some ending together that had at least ONE couple ending up together. As it is the whole thing feel like a big disgusting tease.]

If I may derail this a little, what are some anime you guys find to be "just right" and perfect? They need not be all that great, but I mean stories that feel utterly satisfactory and complete.

I recently watched Midori no Hibi and I loved how well the whole thing held together compared to much of romance anime's tendency to ultimately lead nowhere.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:25 am Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
I never will get why this would bother people to begin with, siblings I could see, but cousins?

(I do however recall reading that growing up close to a member of the opposite sex develops a sexual aversion to that person, so I can see how those of us who were raised as only children would not much understand those who were not)

Speaking of incest shows. . .

Trivia for Koi Kaze wrote:

In behavioral anthropology, the phenomenon which the story of Koikaze was based upon is called genetic sexual attraction, where close relatives who were brought up not knowing about one another may find each other highly attractive (more attractive than strangers) when they later meet as adults. This is due to lack of Westermarck Effect, where two people live in close domestic proximity during the first few years in the life of either one, both are desensitized to later close sexual attraction and bonding.

You've probably read about the Westermark Effect, then.

As for Mai Hime, the incident you mentioned did bother me a bit, but spoiler[after they started killing off virtually everybody who wasn't a HIme, I knew that they weren't going to leave quite so much angst in the story, and was sort of expecting a resurrection. The way I see it, Tate/Takumi/Haruka/etc. weren't exactly "dead"; rather, they were dematerialized and held captive within the system, the system that Miyu wrecked. So, based on the Microsoft computing "Turn it off and on again" principle of repair, they were rematerialized and brought back to life. However, the shameless emotional manipulation that they pulled with Mikoto and the "I'm so hungry!" line was just plain wrong.]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:53 am Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Mai-Hime:

spoiler[I love the show and am eagerly downloading Otome as it comes out, but the reset at the end almost ruins it. The comical tone of the whole thing (like Natsuki just leaving things at "I'm sorry" after taking out half the characters in her psycho lesbian rampage) as well as the back-to-square-one final scene bother me tremendously. Please leave dead characters dead!]

I wasn't all too happy with the ending of Mai-HiME, either - but I have to say (with due apologies to anyone who feels slighted by this) that I think the basic premise of this thread is slightly childish. Especially since a lot of the things that are cited as "wrong" with a series seem to boil down to wanting to fundamentally alter the elements and premise of the anime, so much that it isn't even recognisably the same story. Case in point, all the antsy remarks about incest in anime. If the plot is well-written and cohesive, but the premise bothers you on a moral plane, watch another anime. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

The posts wishing changes to the ending of notably screwed-up anime series like Hellsing, KareKano or Gantz (which all ended prematurely and deviated significantly from the manga) are just as off-the-wall. Why bother complaining once more about something that every single thread dealing with that anime will already have mentioned? It's pointless.

Finally, complaining about series franchises which are not yet over and done with, such as School Rumble and Ichigo 100%, is similarly pointless. Wait for the following OVAs and see if you're still dissatisfied, before complaining.

Speaking of School Rumble:
Pleroma wrote:
spoiler[Yes I know the manga is not finished, but the anime should have just trown some ending together that had at least ONE couple ending up together. As it is the whole thing feel like a big disgusting tease.]

Certainly, there are reasonable grounds to wish for minor changes to an anime - but on the basis of the anime's quality as a story, not on the basis of personal prissiness over touchy subjects, or as a re-hash of something that has been debated a thousand times before.

Pleroma wrote:
If I may derail this a little, what are some anime you guys find to be "just right" and perfect? They need not be all that great, but I mean stories that feel utterly satisfactory and complete.

"There ain't no such animal, nowhere". There's always a bit of perceived imperfection in any product - even the maker of a story is never completely satisfied. Perfection doesn't occur in the real world.

But there are good anime that come close to the ideal. Stories that are well-balanced and rendered with skill and care. Haibane Renmei springs immediately to mind, or Tokyo Godfathers - both anime that keep their storylines cohesive and stable throughout.

Pleroma wrote:
I recently watched Midori no Hibi and I loved how well the whole thing held together compared to much of romance anime's tendency to ultimately lead nowhere.

I couldn't have put it better myself. I do wish that somehow a romance anime would come along that defied the "first-come, first-served" principle, whereby the lead male character always ends up with the female who first catches his eye, no matter how many other prospects appear to interfere. Until one does, though, I'm happy enough with what is being served up.

- abunai
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for Mai Hime, the incident you mentioned did bother me a bit, but spoiler[after they started killing off virtually everybody who wasn't a HIme, I knew that they weren't going to leave quite so much angst in the story, and was sort of expecting a resurrection. The way I see it, Tate/Takumi/Haruka/etc. weren't exactly "dead"; rather, they were dematerialized and held captive within the system, the system that Miyu wrecked. So, based on the Microsoft computing "Turn it off and on again" principle of repair, they were rematerialized and brought back to life. However, the shameless emotional manipulation that they pulled with Mikoto and the "I'm so hungry!" line was just plain wrong.]

True, spoiler[but they surely made it so the characters themselves did think it was permanent, it not being so ultimately cheapens the whole dramatic aspect in retrospect. I just really think the series would be much, much better if it did end on a tragic note, hence why I am hoping and praying to see some actual dead bodies in Otome very soon. Off with their heads!]

Quote:
I wasn't all too happy with the ending of Mai-HiME, either - but I have to say (with due apologies to anyone who feels slighted by this) that I think the basic premise of this thread is slightly childish. Especially since a lot of the things that are cited as "wrong" with a series seem to boil down to wanting to fundamentally alter the elements and premise of the anime, so much that it isn't even recognisably the same story. Case in point, all the antsy remarks about incest in anime. If the plot is well-written and cohesive, but the premise bothers you on a moral plane, watch another anime. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

The posts wishing changes to the ending of notably screwed-up anime series like Hellsing, KareKano or Gantz (which all ended prematurely and deviated significantly from the manga) are just as off-the-wall. Why bother complaining once more about something that every single thread dealing with that anime will already have mentioned? It's pointless.

Finally, complaining about series franchises which are not yet over and done with, such as School Rumble and Ichigo 100%, is similarly pointless. Wait for the following OVAs and see if you're still dissatisfied, before complaining.

Childish indeed, but oh let us whine some more Smile

I do however disagree on that last point. As a completed work a TV series should be able to stand on its own, since there is no second season planned it SHOULD have come up with some way to give closure. Telling people to wait for the OVA is francly an underhanded tactic akin to releasing a movie and then telling people to go buy the book for the completed story. One reason why I adore Elfen Lied is that despite leaving several things un-answered the show took what liberties it had to to give us a complete and very satisfactory emotional arc without needing any outside aids.

Quote:
I couldn't have put it better myself. I do wish that somehow a romance anime would come along that defied the "first-come, first-served" principle, whereby the lead male character always ends up with the female who first catches his eye, no matter how many other prospects appear to interfere. Until one does, though, I'm happy enough with what is being served up.

Hehe, "the love buffet is closed, come over to the love wellfare line!" While this is also something I enjoy, I would like to see some more stories where the secondary caracter pining for the lead actually wins in the end, I always feel very bad for them spoiler[(KNGE being the one exception just because of how bad EVERYONE has it, but such good anime is rare.)] On that note I would say Saikano is a great example of the "first come, first serve" path. One must admire its ability to focus on the dificulty of love because of its nature rather than third party interference. A "perfect" series if I ever saw one, philosophical imposibilities aside Wink
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I agree on Mai HiME. I love the show and I can't wait for the R1 DVDs to come out, but spoiler[ the ending felt way too happy, and forcefully so at that.]

I know it's 'pointless' to mention it, but I will do so anyway: [b]Gundam SEED Destiny[b] could have been so much better. A lot of things could have been done to make it better, so I'll just say it would be better if the last 15 or so episodes (or the entire second half of the series) didn't exist and were completely redone.

At the moment, I can't think of any other series that don't fall into the areas that Abunai mentioned.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, there's some difference in my mind between a tragic ending and an spoiler[omgwtf everyone's dead!!1] ending. A tragic ending kills or otherwise wrongs one or more key characters for whom we've come to feel sympathy, e.g. in Chrno Crusade where spoiler[Rosette, Chrno & Satella bite the dust. Maybe not so much sympathy for Satella?]

However, in Mai Hime, things got a little excessive, and given the overall mood of the show, spoiler[leaving all those people dead would have felt, to me, more like "overkill" than tragedy. Yeah, when Kazuya got disappeared in episode 7 or 8, it was tragic, as it was with Takumi in #20, but when they all start dropping like flies, you start caring for them about as much as the teenagers in a Friday the 13th movie.] So all in all, I'm not dissatisfied with the Mai Hime ending. Now, I too am hoping to see some dead bodies in Mai Otome, though for different reasons Twisted Evil

P.S.

Abunai wrote:
Case in point, all the antsy remarks about incest in anime. If the plot is well-written and cohesive, but the premise bothers you on a moral plane, watch another anime. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

For the record, I don't have a problem with it; if anything, it interests me "too much," though not to a point where I'd actually think about doing anything with/to any cousins or my 18 y/o sister.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5