• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Teams up with Sojitz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
JELEINEN wrote:

So the Japanese can't make anime without American money and American's can't pay for it without Japanese investment. The world is truly a bizarre place.

This is only because of the poor state of the Japanese economy.

Foreign or even domestic sponsorship/funding was not needed during the boom in the 80's period which also carried over to the early 90's.

We can also blame the sorry state of the economy for the decline in OVA's, experimental titles and originality in general. Perfect example would be the amount of remakes of older titles we are seeing at the moment i.e. Oh My Goddess, Area 88 etc

Oh I know. It's just that I can't help but find it amusing is all.
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:

Indeed, this is just the kind of move ADV needed to get going again. Now they have the finances to carry on expanding at the same rates we saw in 2001-2004 should they choose.

Let's hope they don't carry on at that rate. 2001-2004 was a classic bubble market. The American market just isn't big enough to sustain that many titles.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:
Area88 wrote:

Indeed, this is just the kind of move ADV needed to get going again. Now they have the finances to carry on expanding at the same rates we saw in 2001-2004 should they choose.

Let's hope they don't carry on at that rate. 2001-2004 was a classic bubble market. The American market just isn't big enough to sustain that many titles.

I agree. I'd rather see fewer high-quality and niche releases than a whole slew of low quality/"tried and tired" titles. Hopefully this will give ADV the power to start going after some high-profile series again. Not that they haven't being getting a few recently, but it seems Geneon and FUNimation are snatching up most of the really big titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so with all this Japanese investment into American companies that'll increase acqisitions, what will happen if there's nothing left to license?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
aorta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

some big project that is doomed to fail.

sounds like the Eva live action movie Very Happy
Akukaze

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Ok, so with all this Japanese investment into American companies that'll increase acqisitions, what will happen if there's nothing left to license?

There will never be "nothing left to liscense". There have been dozens of shows, OVAs, and movies that have been made in the past five years that haven't been liscensed yet. And even if those were to dry up, there're hunders of older titles, and new series premiere every three months.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sailor Aerith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this means that ADV will think about re-licensing Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch. I've been a fan of the series for awhile, and after reading the manga in english I really hope the series will make it over here~
DuoSagara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Akukaze wrote:
There will never be "nothing left to liscense". There have been dozens of shows, OVAs, and movies that have been made in the past five years that haven't been liscensed yet. And even if those were to dry up, there're hunders of older titles, and new series premiere every three months.

So very true. And to add to that, the fact that more co-funding is prevalent, both companies will be sure to keep themselves busy. At that point (hopefully) the sky's the limit, as long as the funding is used wisely. Also, as mentioned before, releasing and flooding the market with titles (ADV, 2001-04) probably won't be the way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote
aorta wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

some big project that is doomed to fail.
sounds like the Eva live action movie Very Happy

Please next time use the whole sentence. Smile

It wouldn't have changed your point.

DuoSagara wrote:
So very true. And to add to that, the fact that more co-funding is prevalent, both companies will be sure to keep themselves busy. At that point (hopefully) the sky's the limit, as long as the funding is used wisely. Also, as mentioned before, releasing and flooding the market with titles (ADV, 2001-04) probably won't be the way to go.

You seem to contradict yourself. Don't get me wrong I am excited too. But anytime there is an influx in money there are always going to be risks. The question is whether or not it will be in an all-out project, or in a series of mostly failed licenses that produce a gem or two in the process? And yes I am thinking positive, its just this wireless thing that has me worried. If anyone has any info on what you think ADV has to gain from that aspect, please tell us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Area88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:49 am Reply with quote
I'm sure ADV will spread their investments wisely because they know putting all their eggs in one basket is asking for trouble.

They should continue to release old and new anime titles from every era. I'd love to see them take a risk with a Tv series from the 70's like Geneon did with Lupin.

Does anyone actually know anything about the Live Action adaptation? Hasn't been in limbo since 2003? What date is this project actually aiming to be released?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:47 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
its just this wireless thing that has me worried. If anyone has any info on what you think ADV has to gain from that aspect, please tell us.

In Japan, they've really expanded the digital content medium to allow for distribution of anime (I guess) and manga (definitely) onto your cell phone. The potential is obvious because by paying for the service you provide a solid revenue stream and if you get enough subscribers the provider has pure profit since production costs are a one time cost instead of a constant negative to your bottom line. Also, since most phones and such are (for the most part) a "closed" device, redistribution isn't as much of a problem as it is for say internet downloads to your computer.

The problem ADV faces is that cell phones do not (yet) represent the ubiquitous platform that they do in Japan. Also, since Japan has a MUCH stronger public transportation usage rate, things like content on your cell phone that you can view while riding the train is are more alluring than here in the US. It's a market with potential, (just look at companies like Disney moving into the iPod content market) but how much potential remains to be seen.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:54 am Reply with quote
The US is too full of audiophiles and videophiles for that to work. In the US, when it comes to media, the common idea is bigger TV's, bigger audio systems and better resolutions which is in contrast to smaller, portable devices. While such devices are growing in popularity, I can't imagine they will take over as that markets growth and current position is still incredibly minor compared to the revitalized home theater industry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
The US is too full of audiophiles and videophiles for that to work. In the US, when it comes to media, the common idea is bigger TV's, bigger audio systems and better resolutions which is in contrast to smaller, portable devices. While such devices are growing in popularity, I can't imagine they will take over as that markets growth and current position is still incredibly minor compared to the revitalized home theater industry.

That's a good point, except I don't expect ADV to start selling cell phone anime en masse just because that's what Sojitz is doing in Japan.
tekwych

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

And yet iPod movies are doing VERY well. Until many of the phone companies stop using proprietary networks and move to one of the global standards distribution to phones in the US will not work.

Wireless can mean many other things though. The same technology can be used to allow content to be viewed in a static location, say a Library or Mall. Also expect to see a revolution in handhelds as other companies put their spin on that market in the next year and wireless becomes more prevalent in US society. Until then this is still a solid funding stream in Japan and Europe feeding the joint venture.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Well I happen to remember that I own a certain company that has a lot to do with with wireless technology and infrastructure (NasDaq:IDCC). So I went and found the annual report and form 10-K they send me every year.

And bassically they say that they are the leader of 3G technolgy and certain ODM and WCDMA(wideband code division multiple access) patents in the world. But not in the U.S., which infrastructure is stil at the 2G/2.5G range(still a leader in this range). Infact the best place they are making money is Tawain where there dual-mode 2G/3G, and there HSDPA(High Speed Downlink Packet Access) patents went into effect. The problem with the U.S. is to update the infrastructure to 3G is just expensive, and the country is huge. So expect all the wireless companies to to treat it like ADV treats Eva, milk 2G and 2.5G until the cow dries up, or until the demand for faster and better wireless becomes great enough to warrent an investment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4