• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Higurashi, Familiar of Zero Licenses Expire

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
That's a shame for both shows, I too enjoyed both of them. I'll second the notion, or request, for Sentai to pick up subsequent seasons. You would think Sentai could put out their sets that seem to generate enough sales to make it worthwhile.
That's pretty much what the acquisitions person said on the Funimation forum.

If it didn't sell well enough to come close to covering the cost of the dub, then a subtitle only release is the only hope, and Funimation doesn't do that.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm definitely disappointed that we won't be seeing more of The Familiar of Zero, but it doesn't exactly surprise me. I liked that show and enjoyed the second and third seasons via fansubs, but as fun as it is, it's not exactly the best show ever. So, I'm definitely disappointed but not surprised. What I find more disappointing is that no further seasons have materialized in Japan, which would seem to indicate that it didn't do well enough in Japan to merit doing more (though there may be some other reason). Regardless, if they don't do more in Japan, then we'll never get it all here even if it sold like hotcakes in the States.

Anyway, this is definitely disappointing but not surprising.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't say I'm not disappointed, but this isn't the first time this has happened to me. I was one of the ~500 who bought Big Windup at full retail, and I was very disapointed to hear the second season wouldn't be coming to the U.S. - the dub was actually quite good.

I pre-ordered both part 1 and 2 and paid "full price" (well with a Rightstuf discount.) I thought the show and the dub were really good too. I doubt this one will get any sort of a license rescue in the states because from everything I've read its sales were dismal. Such a shame because it really is a great show.

As far as Higurashi and Familiar of Zero, I've got those, so I'm covered. I appreciate Funimation letting us know which titles are not going to be released or continued. I think all of us here have had the "license limbo" experience with a favorite title.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
If a series as good as Higurashi isn't selling, then what the hell is?

K-On, derp derp. Welcome to the future. Rolling eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Bleh.
Still want D.Gray Man season 2 dub, and it looks like we won't be hearing the dub of the Water 7/CP9 arc.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Ooh Surprised Go go, Sentai! Get Higurashi Kai and make big money!
I've been holding off on buying just season 1 because it is only half of the story. I also bought all three seasons of Hell Girl btw, another great move by Sentai.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I...could have sworn that someone in an interview said Higurashi was doing very well a while back, but ok.

I feel bad for the fans, but at this point it shouldn't come as much of a surprise. I lost interest in Higurashi myself, so not a big deal to me.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I...could have sworn that someone in an interview said Higurashi was doing very well a while back, but ok.

Pretty sure I heard it on ANNCast a couple times, but I can't imagine many company reps want to come out and say, "Yeah, this is selling like poop on a barfstick" that often.
nokishoff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Retracted

Last edited by nokishoff on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Can't blame them tbh.
They are a business at the end of the day.
Just a great shame as Higurashi season 1 is not a complete story without Kai.
I think the problem was the show was hard to sell as a horror.
You have all these cute characters and playful scenes doing club games and all of a sudden you have this very serious, mature, horror mystery going on.
Either way, maybe Sentai will pick Kai and Umineko up?
They are certainly growing more as fan favourites, something FUNi seem to have lost.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:

Anything with boobs these days.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
JuicyB wrote:

Anything with boobs these days.

And Eden of the East and Summer Wars, according to Charlene from her last ANNcast.

So yeah, all is not lost.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I hate this. I swear when the first Higurashi box release came out right after FUNI got the series from Geneon, it was like number one selling DVD on Rightstuf for a bit. The second box that FUNI released not to long ago might not have sold well, but that is because everyone bought it the first time.

Anyway Higurashi is definatly in my top 3 anime, so I am hoping Sentai will pick this up ASAP then rub the profits all over FUNI's face. Hmm, I wonder if Sentai would consider releasing the live action films too.

Boo FUNImation! (they better not mess with their releases of Shakugan no Shana or then I will be really ticked off)

Razz
hoodnick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone!

These news made me lose the tiny amount of hope I had of Higurashi Kai getting licensed, but when I asked Sentai on Facebook whether they'd like to license it, I got a response from a person who said it may be possible if fans demand it. I have no idea whether he's connected to the company or not, but (while I usually think petitions are just wastes of time) I think Sentai may actually listen to fans if they ask for it.

My suggestion is that all fans (through Facebook and E-Mail) display their interest in the Higurashi franshise to Sentai and hope for the best. It's worth a try!
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Polly E. wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

Pretty sure I heard it on ANNCast a couple times, but I can't imagine many company reps want to come out and say, "Yeah, this is selling like poop on a barfstick" that often.

The 2nd and 3rd seasons would have been licensed a while ago if it was selling very well. Since they were never licensed I thought it was obvious is wasn't doing as well as planned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11