• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
It is really wrong to call someone an otaku?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
ReverseTitan--

I don't understand what you're referring to; please quote from JoseCruz exactly what you're referencing to. Thank you.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

I have a friend who gave me advice:

"Don't ever watch Evangelion and Serial Experiments Lain in one sitting, back to back. You'll lose all faith in humanity."

My response ".......what.........why........WHY would you even try doing that....Matt.....?" O___o

15 hours of anime in one sitting. how the hell did he manage that?

I watched all 3 LOTR movies, director's cut thank you, in one sitting. I've marathoned anime series as well. Depends on what I got going on and how interested I am. I suspect most people though can't do the same thing for 15 hours without going nuts.

Alan45 wrote:

Otaku is a term that has different meanings depending on where you are and who you are talking to. This can lead to endless misunderstanding. In any case it is probably wrong to call anyone by a name they have not used for themselves. Especially online, it gets to be a problem when someone takes offense and you have to go back and claim, "that is not what I meant".

In English, we have a perfectly functional word, Fan, that can handle anything from the casual person who watches two series a year and the more dedicated individual who watches a dozen or more a week.

Even applying the word to yourself can be problematical. The world gets smaller every year. I have a cousin who lived extensively in Japan and has a Japanese wife. I'm not about to use the word around them, they would probably take it wrong.

I know it is fun to use Japanese words, but this one is a landmine. If you have to ask it is probably best to not use it.

I agree with a lot of what Alan said. I think part of the core problem however with the term itself is there is NO DEFINITIVE DEFINITION that everyone goes by. You ask someone the definition of other slang terms for groups of people or fandoms and it's clear. There is no arguing on what a whovian is. Since the term Otaku can be a derogatory slur let's take a few of those as examples. You call someone a mick, a chink, or other slur there is no confusion on what you mean. The term Otaku however is a real grey area. It means quite the different thing depending on who/where you say it. On one hand it can be a positive, or at least endearing, term to call someone. To another person or group of people it could be as offensive as calling them another derogatory slur.

For me whether or not it's ok to call someone that comes down to how well you know the person. Are you friends? Do they know what it means? Do they call themselves that or joke around with the term themselves? I only call a few of my good friends who I know are into anime and know the term an Otaku. Which is rather ironic for me seeing as how I go to Otakon every year in my state of Maryland. The con is named after the term in essence and it's the "celebration of Otaku culture." Then again, if you're at an anime convention it's pretty safe to say you won't offend many people calling them an Otaku. It would be akin to going to a Doctor Who convention, calling someone a Whovian, and then they want to kick your ass for it. That would just not make sense. Outside of the con though I normally would stick to my above mentioned idea of making sure it's a good friend and they're cool with it first.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote
Aye, a con or dedicated anime shop is likely the only place where I'd use the term on a stranger and usually not without identifying myself as one in some way right after.

Though I have been told off for calling someone (well, everyone at the table, myself included) a geek at a gaming con. But I think that guy was just angry in general.

Otaku and Gamer are likely the only ones I use on myself. I don't consider myself a Trekkie, Whovian, Brony or Browncoat despite watching the related shows.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
ReverseTitan wrote:
@Jose Cruz Last time I checked, British movies are foreign film. If it isn't made in the US(and to a lesser extent Canada), it is a foreign film. English=/=not foreign. The reason why American films do well outside the US+Canada, but the reverse does poorly is because films from outside the US lack universal themes and as such, films do poorly.

Disagree completely, I don't find anything "universal" about US movies if compared to other movies. US movies are characteristically American, in the same way that anime is characteristically Japanese.

US movies dominate most markets thanks to American economic and cultural domination. However, in many countries they do not, in Japan, US movies only made 25% of the gross in 2012, for instance, in China, less than that, in India, less than 15%.

US movies perform very well in Canada, UK and Latin America. Canada and the UK are pretty much similar to the US and part of the same cultural world (the English speaking world) while Latin America has always been a region of US cultural colonization.

The causes of the domination of Hollywood of most of the world's theater gross are also many, beginning from the fact that Americans spend more to watch movies than other countries (US theater gross is 4.5 times Japan and 6 times France) and so already have a hugely strong national market that allows for the production of blockbusters with more special effects than movies made in other countries.

However, that was not my point. My point is that US culture (or more broadly, the English speaking culture) is extremely self contained and the US is in particular hostile to foreign cultural products (with the exceptions of British, Canadian and Australian cultural products for obvious reasons). The causes for this general hostility are complex and I am not sure if I understand them very well, but I noticed that when living in the US. I am from Brazil, and there people are much more open to foreign cultural influences than in the US. Although US cultural influences in Brazil have also managed to block much of the cultural influences from the rest of the world besides the US.

Notice that American children care less than adults from where cultural products come from, mainly because they have not yet been indoctrinated by their society to hate foreign culture. That's why a children's movie is the highest grossing foreign language movie in US history (the first Pokemon film).

Quote:
Chinese films are too Chinese. German films are too German. British films are not too British. See the pattern here? Do you see why British films are the only foreign film to have success in the US? It is because British films are UNIVERSAL for the most part. Simple logic.

I do not find Chinese films such as Hero to be more Chinese than American films such as The Avengers to be more American. Both movies are characteristic cultural products of their respective countries.

The military, cultural and economic domination of the English speaking countries, first thanks to the UK and later thanks to the US, however, has over the past two centuries defined "universal sensibilities" to mean Anglo-American cultural sensibilities. The fact that you consider Anglo-American culture to be universal shows how well their culture has managed to incorporate itself into the rest of the world.

Quote:
Also, most animation in Japan is mediocre/crap as well. Sturgeon's Law cannot be bypassed. It applies to any and everything.

There is also a difference in average, I personally find the average quality of Japanese animation to be higher than American (compare an average anime such as A Certain Scientific Railgun with the average Cartoon Network show), but that is also due to the fact that they target a different demographic (Japanese animation is made for me, American is made for 9 year olds). If I compare the average anime with the average American adult animation, such as Family Guy, the quality is a bit more similar, though the average anime has much better visuals, more subtle characterization and is overall more elegant. US animation is still not taken seriously by US society and so they cannot make animation that takes itself seriously as an artform and as a medium for storytelling.

Quote:
Japan still has a hostility to games not from Japan. Not just western ones, but even ones from S Korea, even though Japan lost its status as the largest video game market years ago, so it is less intrusive than the US' "disdain" of non-British foreign film, because unlike the US, which has little need or desire to import foreign film, due to sheer size, while Japan does not. The best selling "western" game is Japan is funnily enough, not a western game.

Why Japan would have a need to import foreign videogames while the US doesn't have a need to import foreign films? Sheer size? I believe that Japan has produced a very large number of videogames in a wide variety of genres.

I agree that Japan is also a rather closed country from a cultural point of view. Not as closed as the US though and for different reasons. Japan is relatively closed because it was a civilization that evolved separately from other civilizations while it became westernized after 1870's, cultural differences still remain and the sheer size of Japan, an industrialized country of 130 million, makes it a very large cultural sphere.

Still, it's very common for Japanese manga to be set in Europe, for instance, and for them to make references to other countries. Cowboy Bebop, for instance, has very strong explicit American influence, how many US TV shows have such explicit Japanese influence? Usually, US movies and TV makes foreign references for exotic appeal, not for the audiences to identify with the foreign culture but for the curiosity of it's exotic characteristics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Just to let you know, there are 12 types of Otaku found in Japan and it's not limited to anime/manga/video game.

I wish there other type of otaku beside the 12 listed there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3