• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin GN 1 - 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Yoshiyuki Tomino's Mobile Suit Gundam is a fantastic classic anime, but it's clear that Yas is working out some of the more awkward quirks of Tomino's writing with The Origin.

It's so nice to see this great manga getting the attention it deserves, and I can't wait to see it animated. Oh, the bliss if Yas were to direct the action scenes himself!

I do think the process of smoothing out, building upon, and even improving the original storyline started even before this, though.

Well, the movie versions of the TV series add some stuff and are better for it, although compressing 40 episodes into three movies is a little awkward.

Quote:
There's a really great art book called "MS Era 0099" which was made with the "in universe" conceit that it's a pictorial album of the One-Year War

I have that and I really like it. I especially remember two pictures of an early experimental giant robot. In the second picture it's fallen down.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:28 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
I do think the process of smoothing out, building upon, and even improving the original storyline started even before this, though. There's a really great art book called "MS Era 0099"

I dunno...while MS Era is fantastic, I feel like it's more of a parallel to what Yas is doing, rather than a predecessor. It only barely addresses the original storyline, after all, and Yas' changes rarely seem inspired by or borrowed from other more "realistic" visions in the franchise. I'd say the MSG films would probably be the first step in streamlining Tomino's original series (though I find their...cramped nature less than conducive to character development, and prefer the original series for that reason).
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
Yas' changes rarely seem inspired by or borrowed from other more "realistic" visions in the franchise. I'd say the MSG films would probably be the first step in streamlining Tomino's original series (though I find their...cramped nature less than conducive to character development, and prefer the original series for that reason).

I'd agree, and I didn't mean to imply Yas was doing any extensive borrowing from MS Era; all I meant is that as time goes by, various creators keep taking cracks at the One Year War story, and seem to find ways to expand on it, fill in gaps, add backstory, build on it, or improve it each time. Not all the changes necessarily agree with each other, but I feel like it keeps getting better, which is really cool.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
Wait, is this the one where spoiler[ they kill Amuro off half way through the story and Char becomes the hero? ]
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Wait, is this the one where spoiler[ they kill Amuro off half way through the story and Char becomes the hero? ]

No I think that's the spoiler[novel trilogy by Tomino you are thinking about though I don't think Amuro gets killed off until near the end.]
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
Banken wrote:

No I think that's the spoiler[novel trilogy by Tomino you are thinking about though I don't think Amuro gets killed off until near the end.]

I'm pretty sure spoiler[Amuro survives in this manga. He only dies in the novels by Tomino and is confirmed dead in the beta of Char's Counterattack]
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure something similar happened in one of the Gundam manga though...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Well, the movie versions of the TV series add some stuff and are better for it, although compressing 40 episodes into three movies is a little awkward.

That's not nearly as awkward as the Zeta Gundam movies trying to compress 50 episodes into three ninety minute movies.

I shudder even thinking about those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't the compression, it was jarringly awkward mesh of new and old animation that made it completely unwatchable.

They should have animated it to look like the old footage, or completely redone it. How cheap do you have to be to try to make a movie out of twenty year-old recycled TV footage?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
It wasn't the compression, it was jarringly awkward mesh of new and old animation that made it completely unwatchable.

They should have animated it to look like the old footage, or completely redone it. How cheap do you have to be to try to make a movie out of twenty year-old recycled TV footage?

The mesh of old and new footage was bad, but Zeta Gundam is fifty episodes long of pretty much nonstop story. The compression hurt it much worse. Half the plot was missing. Most of the characters were rendered little more than named grunts and that new "happy ending" was embarrassing.

I'm still kind of sour at Tomino for it.

The best we got was new Saegusa music out of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
Well, I only saw the first one because I couldn't bear to watch the next two, and I haven't seen all of Zeta.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:27 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
I'm pretty sure something similar happened in one of the Gundam manga though...

You miiight be thinking of "For the Barrel", which is a manga adaptation of Tomino's original novels (and an enormous departure design-wise from anything Gundam). I've never read it, though, so I'm not sure if it ever deviated or anything.

Anyways, yeah, THE ORIGIN's source is the original series/movies, nothing else. That's why you don't even really see many Mobile Suits variant cameos - just your regular Zaku, Gundam, GM, Dom, Gelgoog, etc.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Loving the Origin so far. Very happy to see this series get a second chance on the American market, seeing as the Viz versions didn't last a long printing life.

I really enjoy how Yaz adds his own touches into the already establish story, but at the same time, stay true to the source material. I also highly enjoy the more flesh out backstory on certain characters that we didn't get with the original TV series due to money/production issues.

Also regarding some of the replies in this thread, it's extremely tiring hearing people whine about the animation of the original Gundam series. It was good for it's time. Standards clearly change. I wouldn't expect a movie like The Day the Earth Stood Still or something like The War of the Worlds to be judged by today's standards of special effects than it was in it's time.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
WeskerGriff wrote:
Also regarding some of the replies in this thread, it's extremely tiring hearing people whine about the animation of the original Gundam series.

In three pages there's one post complaining about the animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3