• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime's Producer: Not Remaking 1st Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
Manga-verse confirmed, yeah~! <3 <3 <3

I love the manga tons better than the original anime. I wasn't quite sure that they were taking this stance, but with this all being said, I'm happy. Smile
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I'm assuming that they'll make the different arcs into different seasons and that the first season will deal with the first arc in the manga.

Well, the first arc is only 13 acts. So that right there is good for a complete first season. Wink
mewpudding101 wrote:
I think you don't understand.
Over a year ago, they announced they would be doing the anime. They said they would not be remaking the original anime AT THIS TIME over a year ago.

With this announcement, they've clarified that they are adapting the manga, and not making a continuation or original series, or whatever.

People on this thread continue to say "But they already announced this"
But in fact, the fact that they're adapting Takeuchi's manga faithfully was never announced before.

I think some people are overthinking things here. All the signs are pointing to the new anime being a straight up adaptation of the original Takeuchi manga with a few extra original tidbits just to keep the show from being an exact carbon copy of the manga.

Besides, creating a new original storyline for Sailor Moon would just be too much work on Toei's part. It's less strenuous and costly to them nowadays if they can just use the manga for storyboards and only add in original bits as they see fit.

You already had the franchise move in an original direction in the original '92 anime and again in the '04 live-action series so what other direction can you take it in this time?
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Togame wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
OtakuJesd wrote:
now the question that I have is, are they planning to animate everything on the go or are we getting seasons?

I'm assuming that they'll make the different arcs into different seasons and that the first season will deal with the first arc in the manga.

I doubt they can afford multiple seasons.

I didn't say specifically that they were making multiple seasons. I just said that they're separating the arcs into different seasons and that the first season would be about the first arc.

Also: why wouldn't they? It's highly anticipated and there would just be no way that they would only do one arc of the manga for the new anime and not the rest.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
I just hope they'll animate more than the first arc's worth of material. I liked PGSM and the new La Reconquista musical but I'd like to see the other four arcs.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
After hearing about Takeuchi's involvement with the new anime series, I figured it was probably going to be a closer adaptation of the manga, since I know she wasn't too happy about some directions the original series took. I am definitely very excited to see how that turns out, though I do hope they do take the time to flesh out characters who aren't Usagi a bit more, since the other characters are pretty flat most of the time.

It will be interesting to see if it can beat out PGSM as my favourite version of the story!
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
If this truns out to be 12eps im going to japan to start an angery mob
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
At least we finally have some info. That drought was ridiculous.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:

Well, the first arc is only 13 acts. So that right there is good for a complete first season. Wink
mewpudding101 wrote:
I think you don't understand.
Over a year ago, they announced they would be doing the anime. They said they would not be remaking the original anime AT THIS TIME over a year ago.

With this announcement, they've clarified that they are adapting the manga, and not making a continuation or original series, or whatever.

People on this thread continue to say "But they already announced this"
But in fact, the fact that they're adapting Takeuchi's manga faithfully was never announced before.

I think some people are overthinking things here. All the signs are pointing to the new anime being a straight up adaptation of the original Takeuchi manga with a few extra original tidbits just to keep the show from being an exact carbon copy of the manga.

Besides, creating a new original storyline for Sailor Moon would just be too much work on Toei's part. It's less strenuous and costly to them nowadays if they can just use the manga for storyboards and only add in original bits as they see fit.

You already had the franchise move in an original direction in the original '92 anime and again in the '04 live-action series so what other direction can you take it in this time?

Uh...why wouldn't Toei stretch out the arcs if it means extra money? Toei LOVES its long-runners. Don't their seasons usually run at least 50 episodes?
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
Looked forward to this until I heard it was a manga retelling. Not so much anymore.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
Didn't we know from the start (Summer 2012, IIRC) this new series was a manga retelling? Fan sites back then at least stated as much.

So, the schedule bounced around from Summer 2013 to Winter 2014 to July 2014. If there's another delay I'll...I'll...complain loudly.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Or maybe they will animate the Sailor V episodes... Confused

Sailor V was supposed to be an anime OVA but that never happened, I guess that's why PGSM (the 2004 live action show) had Act Zero... I'd be super happy if we'd get some Sailor V episodes of some kind, Minako rocks. Smile And the 4 Sailor Guardians ("Inner Senshi") were supposed to get special episodes based on them (I'm assuming the Exam Battle chapters?), but only Ami's First Love was produced.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
Togame wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well in that case, no need for the original voice cast either.

Technically, no, but come on, Mitsuishi is still awesome and Furuya hasn't aged.

These two, Hisakawa, Ogata and... some villains I guess.
The rest are retired, rarely act and generally are... well, old.
A VA shakeup would probably be a good thing since they're going the whole "all new" anyway.

Hey, Romi Paku, Rie Kugimiya, Kenji Utsumi, and Hidekatsu Shibata all returned for FMA: Brotherhood. Though, yeah, that wasn't more than twenty years after the first series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:34 am Reply with quote
If this is a dream, PLEASE, don't wake me up!!
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
Oh, so I'm assuming Mitsuishi and Furuya will still be reprising their roles as announced back in Summer 2012? No reason Ogata couldn't reprise hers then (assuming this new series doesn't pull a PGSM live action and only cover the first arc/season).

Hell, maybe Toei/whoever will bring back as much of the original (living) cast as possible since this is a special thing.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Oh, so I'm assuming Mitsuishi and Furuya will still be reprising their roles as announced back in Summer 2012? No reason Ogata couldn't reprise hers then (assuming this new series doesn't pull a PGSM live action and only cover the first arc/season).

Hell, maybe Toei/whoever will bring back as much of the original (living) cast as possible since this is a special thing.

All inner senshi except Mars are still working at a good pace. Mars's VA returned for the reunion a few years back or so. The Shitennou... Hm, I think only Jedite is the only one who is doing things... CONSTANTLY. Kunsite's VA passed away.

For outer senshi, Pluto retired. Other than her, everyone is still "active."

It'd be awesome if we could get any available cast members back. I do NOT want Sailor Moon to turn into some seiyuu idol fest, with Stylips playing the main characters... Or Hanazawa and Toyosaki or something... *shiver*
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:12 am Reply with quote
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Or maybe they will animate the Sailor V episodes... Confused

Sailor V was supposed to be an anime OVA but that never happened, I guess that's why PGSM (the 2004 live action show) had Act Zero... I'd be super happy if we'd get some Sailor V episodes of some kind, Minako rocks. Smile

Agreed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8