• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
I nearly choked on my coffee at the very end of ep.8.

"Zannen! Mayumi-chan deshita!"

Is it bad that I don't speak Japanese and I "got" it right away?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

That was one big special scene of Usa being spoiler[picked on, Hayashi making it worse, like no confidence that he would not say anything against her]. Although it looked a little hard that spoiler[she threw him to the lions, he was having it even worse], could you imagine your spoiler[current and previous good friends allowing something like that happen]? Good thing the girls spoiler[came to his rescue], although two of them got another type of enjoyment out of it.

I knew ispoiler[t was Hayashi as soon as the episode mentioned something about her], sort of instantly made me think of spoiler[Watamote's Yuu], except an obvious difference.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
Honestly I think that episode 8 has to be one of the best so far. It really highlights what i said earlier how nice it is to see a the fellows at the Kawai Complex act as if they were family by sticking up for a each other. spoiler[Mayumi and Sayaka pretending be Usa’s items making the other guys jealous as well as giving Hayashi a scare and of course Kawai openly making it seem like her and Usa were boyfriend and girlfriend.] And after the whole ordeal is over Sumiko cooks him his favorite meal to cheer him up.

It’s so overwhelmingly heart warming that I can’t help but have a silly grin on my face when i watch this show. When dealing with a group of unruly teens like that getting mad will only further add to your embarrassment and typically never ends well. spoiler[Which is why found Usa staying quiet to be quite reasonable especially when you consider the fact he was trying to account for keeping Hayashi’s reputation intact.] He’s way to nice for his own good sure but that’s why having everyone help him out in that moment of distress felt so much for impactful.

I don’t usually watch romcoms but this one is definitely hitting all the right points to be one of the most enjoyable that I’ve seen.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode 8 and enjoyed it immensely. I've like the show all along but in this episode it all comes together. When Usa is put in a bad situation the friendships that have been built are tested. I know I shouldn't be surprised but was very impressed to see Usa protecting his former classmate in the face of ridicule. Ritsu also shows the strength of their friendship overcoming her social anxiety.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Ah Ritsu, she can be so cute when she's afraid sometimes...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

I love how in the end they realised that spoiler[she really was not worth trying to make feel better when they found what did it]. Scared Ritsu was hilarious mostly with spoiler[how she reacted and left her room], and that they spoiler[changed its image to make it more appealing].
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I learned that the kids in this show are pretty damn scary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

As soon as they said Ritsu left I knew that she was feeling jealous. Good that he spoiler[made up with Hayashi, and that she found a someone who might be a good match.] I liked the little story with Hayashi in the past, sad that sspoiler[he was shamed out of her feelings], and she seemed to be spoiler[subtly be rejected without Usa even noticing he did]. And to drive it home a bit of spoiler["you like him" talk from a child].

Also can't forget the beginning where Usa was obviously putting himself spoiler[through the pain in the hope Ritsu would see, only for Mayumi and Shiro to tease him and reveal she was not even there].
dlm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, I don't know who is more dense, Ritsu or Usa.

They are all pitiful.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
dlm wrote:
Holy crap, I don't know who is more dense, Ritsu or Usa.

They are all pitiful.

People can be pretty dense in not picking up signs that someone actually likes them, the situation is not too unrealistic.

I speak from experience.
dlm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Just making a joke on the series' name Smile

I was watching AMVs on youtube and had a revelation.

Long scraggly white hair... extreme masochist... kinda creepy while being kind-hearted. Shirosaki is The Undertaker from Kuroshitsuji!

Well hell, he's immortal, right?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

The first half with finding all of Sayaka's dirty secrets from her friend had my face stuck in a huge smile, it was too funny with how they set things up. That all the other residents were trying to find them out, even Sumiko looked into finding things out, she clearly spoiler[put the rabbit in her room after finding out Sayaka is afraid of them]. The bit about spoiler[yaoi manga/stuffed toys] was killer funny.

And the second half, well I totally kind of understand Ritsu as I am similarly introverted, so I had a little idea of how uncomfortable she was. While she looks like a spoiler[good person and Ritsu would like to be friends with her, she is kind of getting too much into her space and no time by herself]. She pushed spoiler[her a little too hard into going into a social event, and ending up in a mixer] is emergency time for Ritsu. It seems terrible that Ritsu can't communicate her comfort level enough.

Next episode is the last?!
No, this series has been way too fun.

Oh, don't forget Usa spoiler[tricking the girls into behaving]. Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
Oh wow a cliffhangerish ending. Ritsuuuu
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (final)

I think this might have been one of my favourite shows of the season. What I really liked about this finale is that there was in some ways nothing truly wrong, despite Ritsu in the mixer it looked like she spoiler[could talk a bit with people with a common interest]. It just so happened that things happened that pushed it too far for her; spoiler[insulting people like Usa who Ritsu appreciates for pushing himself past his comfort zone to connect with her]. And spoiler[sending Ritsu's picture to people without her permission] was a big spoiler[betrayal of her trust], but despite that Ritsu still spoiler[missed having her as a friend]. I wonder if that is how hard it is for some girls?

And the second part, we got something super fun, and that is spoiler[drunk Ritsu], where spoiler[she said exactly what she thought like her annoyance at Sayaka and telling everyone what happened]. Also quite a bit atspoiler[ Usa, largely her annoyed at him being too nice]. Also fanservice, which with Ritsu means spoiler[seeing her sulk from not being allowed to get ice cream, and then going to his room].

This series easily gets a rating from me of Very Good, a must watch and probably a very notable RomCom in my opinion. I really would like to rate it higher, all the characters turned out to be likable in their own way, comedy had me laughing out loud or stuck with a big grin. The show managed to surprise me on multiple occasions, and felt like there was depth in situations that it was not just doing what other anime do. If I had to give reasons it is not rated "Excellent", possibly animation was a little basic, and it never really got too intimate between the characters, but both these aspects I would take as part of its charm. I recommend this to any fans of romantic comedies, maybe even some who feel that RCs are always doing the same thing, and people who want a good laugh, I find it very hard to believe that people with a sense of humour would not find this entertaining.

I wanted to put off watching the last episode because I want to continue to get something like this.
dlm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
And it didn't end on a blatant sequel hook or some stupid status-quo non-ending. Three thumbs up!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4