• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Feel The Heat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
My dog's name is Kaiji, she is the ultimate survivor, since she was going to be put to sleep within a matter of hours after adopting her.
and they both have pointy noses
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
I named my dog Menchi. I have a sick sense of humor.

Excel Excel's "Emergency Food Source"? Rolling Eyes
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
But it is utterly stupid when people act like pirating things is akin to murder in terms of how bad it is.

That's the whole point of calling copyright infringement "piracy".
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
shamisen the great wrote:
I named my dog Menchi. I have a sick sense of humor.

Excel Excel's "Emergency Food Source"? Rolling Eyes
Indeed. It's a chihuahua if that helps with the visualization.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:40 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Thank you so much for answering my question Answerman and for encouraging me to post pictures. I'm so excited about my new doggy. He's such a sweetie and loves everyone... kids, adults, cats. He's around 3 years old.

I rescued him from a wonderful organization called The Dog Spot in California.

I'd love to hear everyone's suggestions. And no, the name doesn't necessarily have to be from an anime, but it would be fun combining two of my favorite things (animals and anime). The one thing it can't be is "One Eyed Jack" because I already have a cat named Jack.

Thanks!

Here are some images...

Good lord, your dog is awesome.

As for one-eyed names, I guess I could point out that technically, Spike Spiegel only has one eye (the other one being a prosthetic.) But if you don't want someone who got by on a technicality, I like the names Guts (Berserk's perpetually angry one-eyed protagonist) Saito (from Ghost in the Shell, though this is another case of someone with a cool robot eye replacing the one he lost) or Zoro (One Piece's swordsman, who lost his left eye during the timeskip.)
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:58 am Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
This is why I don't have a problem with piracy. If you buy a series that's out of print used, no money is going to the publisher. With series like Higurashi which go for hundreds on eBay, fansubbing/torrenting is your only option.

Just because something is out of your price range, that doesn't automatically mean it's not a viable option.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote
Sure hope that day come sooner than expected when someone 'figures it out'. CR is really my only viable option for streaming anime so far. I mean, I likely have it easier than most other territories and countries much, much further away, but it'd be nice to see more Funimation-licensed shows available for people living in the Carribeans, South, and Latin Americas. Plus most of these are just available on their site but for US (and Canada I think) only anyway.
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
What? No Sagat from the Street Fighter Series?
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
That's a handsome dog. As for naming him after a one-eyed anime character, how about Kitaro? Sounds like it could be a great dog's name, plus the character lives to be 350 years old.....so you could consider that an omen of good luck.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
My best bet is that this anime series will dissolve into nothingness cause of the idotic editing like with cased closed.

Someone doesn't have a very optimistic mindset, do they? Whenever an anime title is announced, I'm always optimistic about it doing well (Attack on Titan and Doraemon are two examples). The only ones I don't see doing well are things like Anpanman and the Ninja Kids anime which later became a movie by Takashi Miike. Not to mention Sazae-san, which I'm sure if it were to air in the Statesm it probably wouldn't be licensed, and would air on something like TV Japan (a cable network owned by NHK).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Annoyingly, FUNimation has streaming rights to a lot of shows in the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa as well as the US and Canada. They rarely exercise them; other than a brief period when their own site was open (although the bandwidth was bad enough that I gave up trying to use it), the only way to watch any of their shows online is via YouTube where their videos are usually unlocked to any regions they have the rights in. Problem is, they stopped uploaded new shows to YouTube a few seasons ago so whether or not they are sitting on the UK streaming rights to more recent shows, we often don't get them (Crunchyroll has recently started shows some FUNimation-licensed shows in certain regions outside the US, but not in the UK).
I had assumed the YouTube-bias was because they could rely on Google to source ads rather than doing it themselves on their own site (this was before they moved to most of their free shows being Hulu embeds) so when they announced the Elite subscriptions I was hopeful we would be let in and they did make it sound like they were considering it, but nothing ever happened.

I have an unfinished list of unlocked streams here: http://miyuki.thenexxus.org/wiki/YouTube#FUNimation
And UKA has a somewhat outdated list here: http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/FUNimation_shows_currently_streaming_to_the_UK_-_January_2011_edition.html

To take an example, for Haganai the regions are:
Code:
<meta itemprop="regionsAllowed" content="AU,CA,GB,IE,NZ,US">

Unfortunately, for Haganai NEXT (one of the last simulcasts they put on YouTube) that changed to
Code:
<meta itemprop="regionsAllowed" content="CA,US">

Of the UK incumbents, we currently have Animax (via Kaze) and Wakanim (via Anime Limited). Both only make episodes available free for a week or two, the former has a subscription service (higher than Crunchyroll's for less content) and the latter relies on selling/renting episodes. Both are problematic if you get behind on simulcasts, especially the latter - one reason to get behind on something is it not being terribly gripping, and who wants to pay to watch something they're not all that interested in? I've only seen one episode of Samurai Flamenco for this reason.
Neither MVM nor Manga UK are involved in streaming at all. Manga did dip their toes in by streaming Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but that fell apart - the quality was lower than even YouTube (FUNimation's streams were briefly unlocked to the UK, probably accidentally since they were working with Starz Digital on the Manga streams), they missed an episode (I never saw anything beyond that point until I got the DVDs) and they never finished the whole series anyway. Manga US OTOH are putting all sorts of stuff up on YouTube and other places (including Nozomi titles for some reason I've never been clear on), most of which is available in the UK.

Zac wrote:
'Cosgrove' is the perfect name for that dog.

You do realise you've put Annie songs in my head now, don't you?

Agent355 wrote:
I'm not sure where the Mushishi character's name comes from (I thought it might be a variation of Gingko. nuts?).

Actually "ginkgo". You see ginkgo leaves in anime a lot.

OTL wrote:
Would "Clamp" be a bad name for a one-eyed dog...? Razz

There are a few one-eyed CLAMP characters, thinking about it - and oddly seem to come in pairs; Seishirou and Subaru, and Watanuki and Doumeki (at which point I realise I only think of those two by their family names)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
If we're accepting characters that only use one of their eyes like Zolo from One Piece, I'm surprised no one suggested Kenpachi from Bleach or Lag Seeing from Tegami Bachi.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Note that Crunchyroll seems to have got some kind of a working model on international streaming cobbled together, since I think all but two of their anime simulcast licenses for Spring 2014 had some form of region rights outside of North America.

But for any given region, it seems to hinge very much on how the original rights owners slice up the world. That is, there is a set of publisher that have rights in the Middle East or the Arab League, and all but one of those are available in the Middle East, and then a set of publishers that have no access in the Middle East. There's a set of publishers that mostly include Latin America, and others (like Showgate), that seem to never include Latin America.

It looks very much like its based on slowly season after season talking the companies they are licensing from around on expanding their license regions, and then taking whatever they get offered.

And even though on year-on-year comparisons (Spring to Spring, Summer to Summer and etc.) access has been steadily improving since 2010, individual regions sometimes take a step back, like the UK with the establishment of AnimaxUK and the increase in Funimation's simulcasts, or Belgium with one set of licenses that exclude German Speaking Countries and (bizarrely) treat Belgium as a German-speaking country and another set that exclude French speaking countries and (more reasonably) treat Belgium as a French-speaking country. Or a little while back Scandinavia dropped from getting 80% access to 40%, to recover back to around 70%.

One strategy that seems to be a part of that is expanding their subtitling to additional languages. In Latin America in particular, Crunchyroll took a big hit two or three years ago when some package deals that had been including Latin America expired, but since they started picking up more Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese subtitling rights (including rights to subtitle One Piece in Spanish for Latin America), they've been able to get Latin American access back up to around 80% of new seasonal simulcasts.

One thing that does occasionally happen is Crunchyroll gets free access to a region such as North America, UK & Ireland, Scandinavia, the Netherlands, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, but gets premium access worldwide outside Asia (or sometimes worldwide outside Japan). That could be a licensor putting a floor on what kind of revenue per episode they can expect from different countries, since the royalties from subscribers will have a much easier time covering that than the sparse demand for streaming ads in much of the world. In any event, the occasional license like that may help boost subscription rates in those "out of core region" parts of the world.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
Cyclops is a good name for a one-eyed dog. X-men is an anime, after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
Having mainly experience with retrieving dogs, names with one syllable or two distinct syllables are best, since you will be saying them a LOT (this applies to regular dogs as well, a distinct, clear sounding name is best).

Ginko is great for an everyday name.

Of course the full name could be: Ginko Grey Fur Lord, Defiler of Rugs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4