• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 9 Bizarre Anime Cats from Another Universe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Funny list, but the lack of God from Pani Poni Dash makes me sad Sad

Oh my gosh, YES. He should have been Number 1.

This post is warm from my body heat.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I love the new column. There is nothing better that a top-whatever list to argue about on the internet, because there will always be something wrong about it. I would also include God from Pani Poni in my list, and seriously Pita Ten? That show was absolutely horrible, and the cat was just irritating.

Favorite Crossdressers, eh, well that's a easy one, let's see...
I loved Seiko-chan! But wait, Nuriko was the best part of Fushigi Yuugi. And I only watched Shugo Chara for Nadeshiko--but Utena is from the best show on the list...Oh, Jesus, why can't I vote for them all?
In the end, I decide to cast my vote for the only one that I own a quote-unquote bishoujo figure of. I went with Watarase Jun. But I still love you all!

/Also not making the cut, that villain dude from the Kyoto Arc of Kenshin I can't remember the name of now (Think it was Honjo, but it's been too long)

//On a side note, what makes calico cats calico is that the cat's fur color is coded on it's X chromosome. When a mammal has two X chromosomes, one will shutdown in each cell. Since this shutdown is random, the pattern that appears is also random. There are such things as male calico cats, but they always have Klinefelter's syndrome (a XXY chromosome). Of course, such things as 'genetics' and 'science' don't seem to bother Haruhi very much...
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, Kuroneko-sama was more of an anime invention, she hardly ever shows up in the manga series proper. She does have an exchange with Legato on one of the OSTs. (It seems that Legato asks Kuroneko-sama various questions, only to get a nya in response.)

But cats are indeed awesome, and transformable ones are the absolute best. Nekomimi anyone? (Where did that get so popular anyway?)
corinthian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I second (or third, or however many it's been) for Mr. Cat from Princess Tutu, and Amanojaku from Ghost Stories. The English dubs make those characters for me
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
It's not surprising since my choice is a number of years old, only really appreciated by the art-film crowd and her movie was never released in the US but for most bizarre cat I'd have to go with the cross of Hello Kitty and Nancy Spungen that is Tamala, from Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space, Super cute and sexually precocious year old cat... who is also immortal and is a goddess, or a marketing gimmick, or both, and has a tendency to karate kick kittens in the street.

BTW, is Gia an editor or something for the UK site? This is the second time an article of hers has gone to the UK Talkback section.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
It just goes to show how many weird cats there are in anime, when none of the cats from Aria, particularly President Aria and Cait Sidhe, make the list.
Demon of Rashomon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm pleased to see someone from the forum at least mention Ryo-Ohki. I'm sorry, super powerful spaceship cat will win all contests hands down.
As for cross dressers, why no love for Nadeshko!?
yuetheguardian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I have been ultra sad and missing knowing if what i am reading is by Gia or not, since you left anime vice and nefver quite got that other site running to head to ANN here, i hope this is successful for you. I enjoyed the listings and agree whole hearted with it, from a fan since your anime online days.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Come on now, Mr. Cat REALLY should have been on that list. He's a cat, he's a ballet teacher, and he threatens his students with MARRIAGE... Very Happy

That aside, really enjoyed this column. As Mike Toole pointed out a few weeks ago, we do love our lists...
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I love cats in anime (and just cats, in general). I immediately thought of Yoruichi (Bleach) and The Baron (Whisper of the Heart). An interesting column, Gia.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
CBongo wrote:
Oh, and the crossdressing poll is missing Hideyoshi from BakaTest.

(And another +1 for Tutu's Mr. Cat.)

You're right, Mr. Cat was definitely an overlooked candidate! >_> Especially since I just watched the series within the last year. Bad me!

As for Hideyoshi, I didn't finish BakaTest, but my understanding was that he only crossdressed occasionally/as needed? I definitely encourage "write-in" voting via the forums, so keep 'em coming.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Cats are such goofy little fuzzballs. Laughing Definitely seconding President Aria, Cait Sith, Meowth and Ryo-Ohki. There's Master Karin from Dragonball too, the martial arts master living atop a totem-pole tower. If Yoruichi is on the list, I suppose Shampoo from Ranma 1/2 would count as well. There's also Luna/Artemis from Sailor Moon, though they're aren't quite bizarre.
GrinningTravesty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Lists really are fun, if even for the simple fact that they raise such contention. MY bone of contention, WHERE is Ms. Aki (Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi) on the list of favorite crossdressers??? Chiyo-chan's father is definitely well-placed at the top of the bizarre cats, and even though I really love God from Pani Poni Dash, I think he takes a strong influence from Chiyo's dad. Therefore, I can understand not throwing him on the list.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
This is my first time seeing this kind of feature (for some reason), so maybe it was an option during voting... but I'm kinda surprised that none of the cats from Cat Soup made it. Was it that they were just too normal themselves, while they inhabited a wholly insane, world? Or is it just that not many people have seen that crazy little art film? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I have to second the vote for Takkun from FLCL for strange cats. He/she has no strange powers, yet has some of the best facial expressions in all the anime.

Good for you on separating crossdressers from magically/scientifically transformed boys/girls, like Ranma and Hazumu from Kasimasi. Too many people lump these characters into one category. Incidentally, I voted for Hansel and Gretel because you get two-for-one crossdressers and they're homicidal maniacs, yet you feel sorry for them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5