• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animated Pacific Rim Series in Talks With Japanese Studios

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

I wonder how well this film did in Japan.

Just mediocre in the box office --about $14.5M (that still puts it #39 for all 2013 but expectations were higher)-- but achieved cult hit status on home video selling over 112k BD/DVD sets.

Chrno2 wrote:

But what what would the animation look like? I could see a well done 2D, 3D or doing it old school. Actually someone did do a illustration like that.

Or like that Gaiking 3DCG teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmPLiJgGASM

mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Well this is very interesting to see, I wonder what studio will pick up on this. Smile

But seriously, I hope that this adaptation doesn't fail or turn out to be mediocre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Only one of those is non-anime, so try again. The Marvel anime was produced, directed and written by people in Madhouse FOR a Japanese audience. Mas Effect was produced and written, as well as directed by several Japanese directors. It's not contract work for 2/3 of those, so please try again.

Even if Japan did or did not write any of them, they did or did not because they were paid to do so. His point is none of those companies approached those parent companies and asked to make an anime based on them, the studio approached them and paid them to do it.

Wrangler wrote:
'm not expecting good things though. Aiming for a "Very young" audience screams to me its going to be kiddized and won't have as much appeal as it would sound. I rather have grown pilots, than kids.

I would say that's why it did so poorly. It said it was influenced by mecha anime but then turned its nose up at a lot of tropes and conventions associated with the genre. Two pilots, the general strive for realism and seriousness, adult military soldiers. It's almost the polar opposite of what's popular right now like Gundam Build Fighters, Super Sentai, or Gargantia. That seems to be a common thing with shows and movies which try to be like anime. They say they're huge fans but then they also try to do their own take on it instead, so it ends up being very unlike the product they said they were fans of. It's a bit contrarian in that regard.

-Stuart Smith
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Aquaregia99 wrote:
*cough* choose Ufotable *cough*

Bokurano!
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
^Gonzo!
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Eh. I see the typical people are here to tell us why Pacific Rim didn't get anime. I wonder if they ever tire of downplaying a good movie merely because it wasn't Japanese. Even the reasoning here is funny.

Pacific rim was serious and striving for realism"

Did you see the movie? PR was filled with cartoon characters. It was pretty light hearted in it's tone, not unlike most giant robot shows. It wasn't this completely serious robot show. It couldn't be with it's parody mechs from Russia and China. The mechs were not at all realistic. There was no attempt to make them seem like real things. The movie knowingly knew they were silly and even highlighted them.

besides I hate to tell you. These aren't troupes or conventions. Giant robot anime can be serious, not serious, realistic, and unrealistic. There is not set convention. You're attempt to compare it to Gundam is laughable. Yes Build Fighters is more family friendly(which is what PR was), but Unicorn is extremely popular and that is completely serious and striving for a degree of realism. Even the less popular AGE attempted a balance of both.

Quote:
Two pilots

Yep, this defining aspect is what killed PR. It's also a shining light as to why PR didn't get anime. Never mind the fact that PR takes it's cues from 80s/70s animation. A time where there were many mech shows with multiple pilots. This a pretty shallow thing to use as "oh they did'nt get anime" when there's been tons of anime where there are characters dual piloting a mech. Also lets not froget that two characters linked by a mech and thus linked psychologically to use as a character development tool has been a troupe deployed in many mech shows. So how does PR using this show that it did'nt get anime? Hell, Gundam Build Fighters has the two boys bonding over both using the same "mech"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
SynergyMan wrote:
Only one of those is non-anime, so try again. The Marvel anime was produced, directed and written by people in Madhouse FOR a Japanese audience. Mas Effect was produced and written, as well as directed by several Japanese directors. It's not contract work for 2/3 of those, so please try again.

Even if Japan did or did not write any of them, they did or did not because they were paid to do so.

Wait. Do you mean to tell me...that those shows...weren't just conceived immaculately? That they didn't drip freely from glorious mother Nippon's golden tit like REAL anime do!? The staff/studio behind those projects...actually got PAID for their work!?

*faints*
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Man, Pacific Rim was a total waste of time. I really hated how they forced an poorly-written (and that's being kind) romantic subplot.

Of the more common complaints I heard about the movie in Japan at the time of it's screening was it came off as the essence of American action cinema, also known as the popcorn flick. For better or worse, I don't think that's what Pacific Rim wanted to be labeled as.

ikillchicken wrote:
Wait. Do you mean to tell me...that those shows...weren't just conceived immaculately? That they didn't drip freely from glorious mother Nippon's golden tit like REAL anime do!? The staff/studio behind those projects...actually got PAID for their work!?

Do you make it a habit of purposely misinterpreting people's points or is reading comprehension just not one of your strong suits?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Nah, ikillchicken is basically cutting through the bullcrap and pointing out what Stuart REALLY meant beneath all the pseudointellectual drivel.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Do you make it a habit of purposely misinterpreting people's points or is reading comprehension just not one of your strong suits?

His "point" was the same thing it always is. The same thing as every time one of you three shitbirds opens your mouth actually: Japan is awesome. Western stuff sucks. Rolling Eyes I mean, do you guys not think people see the patterns in your behavior? Your verbal masturbation is a stain on this forum. You must be delusional if you expect me to actually take your "points" seriously.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

*faints*

What's with the unprovoked sarcasm? I never said they weren't paid, I was merely pointing out to SynergyMan that contract work is contract work, despite who wrote those movies. Those are all examples of companies hiring other studios to produce a work for them so there's no difference between them.

-Stuart Smith
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
These co-production projects never turn out well, man. Have any of them even been profitable?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
This thread has gotten nasty and personal in the last few posts. It will stop NOW, or you will be done posting in this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
I think a co-pro like this could work out well if it just aims at being ridiculously fun and not mopey or introspective whatsoever.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

These co-production projects never turn out well, man. Have any of them even been profitable?

Those Marvel/DC/Matrix ones don't lose money. They could sell a ton of those in the world for essentially less than a Hollywood animation studio would cost. That's why they keep making 'em.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4