• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Well I watched it first on syfy and after the the block of anime on that channel was canceled
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
But I guess with this and DBZ Kai, it's all Toonami can do to stay afloat nowadays, outside of new Space Dandy.

Toonami's been doing incredibly well in terms of ratings.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
angieness wrote:
I watched it as it was airing as well as own the whole thing and I'm still excited to see it come to Toonami. It's important to remember the show is almost 10 years old and was on Scifi almost 10 years ago, which is like an eternity in anime fandom. So there are likely a lot of newer fans that have never seen the show.

Wait, what? Gurren premiered in Japan in 2007, making it only 7 years old. The dub started airing on Syfy in 2008 which was only 6 years ago.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
For people saying that this a late announcement, do you mean the announcement that GL will be on Toonami, or ANN's news post?

If it's the former, that's how Toonami has been rolling lately. They only announce things a few weeks before they start airing. If it's the latter, well, the news was just announced after midnight last night.

@Cyclone1993 - SyFy had the rights to it. Cartoon Network had to either wait for their rights to run out, or buy it from them (which would only give them until SyFy's contract ran out anyway). The former is more likely.

So, anyone wanna start making bets on which version of episode 6 they played? SyFy played the broadcast version. However, we are a long ways from CN's "We didn't play episode 23 of Outlaw Star because it [*quote*] did nothing to further the plot and is little more than an excuse for the characters to get naked [*endquote*]."
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I did watch the first 6 episodes on Sci-Fi channel back in the day, (vcr remote broke between next week and didn't get new one before eps 7 & 8 aired). An enjoyable show and from what I heard, it had higher ratings on Sci-Fi than it did in Japan. Still would be nice for guys to watch who never saw back then or don't have the dvds.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Really a shame to see them airing this. Gurren is a terrible show. I wished they had picked Kill la Kill instead. Unless of course they tried and Aniplex told Toonami to go screw itself.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
A friend of my girlfriend is really disappointed that Toonami chose "Gurren Lagann" and not "Kill la Kill" to their schedule.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Personally I never liked this show and I kind of get why people like it but still can't wrap my head around it being some peoples number one favorite show. Still people are allowed to like what ever they want so I won't knock them.

I don't want to sound all negative but who in the hell really watches Anime on cable TV like Toonami anymore? Sure back in the day before highspeed internet, and when Anime on VHS and DVD where 25-30 bucks for 2-4 episodes per single. Fansubs where still new digitally and no streaming legal or pirated.

Most Anime fans will get their fix from the many sources high speed Internet has provided and eventually home video sales. By the time any show airs on TV it's already been a long time and they are just clawing at the few potential fans or people who barely watch Anime in hopes of a few more units sold.

Plus this is a old show, it's not some smash hit like AOT, hell back in the day when it was new didn't set the community on fire we rarely get a mega hit they come once in a blue moon.

Even though I hate streaming services like Cruncy Roll they still are a better outlet to attract newer/younger fans then edited programs with commercial breaks, shown at ungodly hours of the night. With more program content than Cable could ever provide.

As for Kill la Kill they can't show it anytime soon even on Toonami. The show is still being released on DVD and Blu-Ray in Japan at a rate of 2 episodes per month. So it won't be until December until it's done not including how long afterwards they will make us wait for the AOA release of the next 4 volumes of the domestic home video release.

Last edited by Dfens on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
I began watching it on CR recently. Does it get better? It was more or less a fun romp spoiler[until episode 8, which did leave me feeling really bummed out. I liked Kamina, or at least the chemistry he had with other cast members.] I put it on hold after episode 9. It's not a bad show by any means, but I don't really get why people gush about it at this point. Or is 8 the real turning point?

I do hope this leads to KLK airing, though, and I think Gurren Lagann is perfect for Toonami's block.

It gets A LOT BETTER! Watch up to episode 12, and then decide if you want to quit.

Sorry, I'm admittedly biased about this show. It's one of my favorite animes of all time.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
A friend of my girlfriend is really disappointed that Toonami chose "Gurren Lagann" and not "Kill la Kill" to their schedule.

You're assuming Kill la Kill was even a choice on the table to begin with, which none of us have any way of actually knowing. My assumption would be, at this time, that it's not available. Though it wouldn't surprise me in the future if they get it.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Well To be honest I think it's a missed to air other shows mostly because I don't like it, but at least they are airing others than what Funimation has.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Kill La Kill's dub hasn't been completely released yet, just the first four episodes, Gurren Lagannn is probably to hold people over until it's done. I'm happy it'll be on TV, even though I have Bandai's DVD release in my collection.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Plus this is a old show, it's not some smash hit like AOT, hell back in the day when it was new didn't set the community on fire we rarely get a mega hit they come once in a blue moon.

Um, yeah it is. Gurren Lagann was huge when it was airing and is still huge today. You can still find multiple people cosplaying as the characters at any given convention and still does extremely well with merchandise. Just in 2013 we saw 19 figures released for the series including high demand re-releases. TTGL is indeed a megahit. It's to early to say if it Titan does better or not, it's far to early for that.

And for those who scoff and say people should have already watched it six years ago, six years is a long time. Six years is the difference between someone being an uninterested 10 year old and being a 16 year old staying up late on the weekends. Old things that are really popular tend to stay popular because there's always a new audience emerging. It's what they call 'evergreen' because year after year it's new to someone else. It's what has kept Adult Swim going back to Cowboy Bebop for all these years (and years to come it seems).

As for the people who keep saying everyone who wants to watch it has already seen it, clearly you don't watch enough anime to know what a backlog is. I know there are a ton of shows that I would love to watch that are super popular and easily accessed, but can't find the time because there's always a new season of shows taking up my time. I've got piles of DVDs waiting to be watched and there's always more coming. I know there are a lot of people who have wanted to watch TTGL, but haven't found the time. Now that it'll be on Toonami it's a little more convenient, especially if you're already watching other Toonami shows.

Kill la Kill on American television, I guess I'll believe it when it happens. Seems like underage girls wearing next to nothing with lots of closeups would be more trouble than it's worth. Don't get me wrong, I love KlK, it just seems like a bad idea to me.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
That'll be great for the five people who haven't already seen it either streaming, on DVD, or Syfy's Ani-Monday block six years ago. Toonami, really keeping up with the times.

But I guess with this and DBZ Kai, it's all Toonami can do to stay afloat nowadays, outside of new Space Dandy.

Ugh... what's with all the constant negativity with anime fans these days? Especially you penguintruth. Like a previous commenter said, who cares if it's "old?" (which it really isn't). It's a good show, and I'm sure a lot of people still haven't seen it, including new anime fans and even people who just didn't watch or finish it back then. Since when did airing a good show on television become a crime? Nobody bitches about a non-anime series re-airing after a long absence on any other network. It's not about "keeping up with the times," all they're doing is airing an anime that people seem to like a lot.

And Toonami is actually doing very well in the ratings, especially with Attack on Titan airing at 11:30. So I don't see where you're getting the idea that they need as much help as possible or whatever.

I love Toonami, the only problem I have with this is that it's airing a bit too late for me. AoT and Space Dandy I can deal with, but 2 AM's pushing it. I need my beauty sleep after all. I'll probably end up trying to watch it anyway though, to support the ratings and all. I just wish that they would maybe bump the start of the block to an earlier time, that's all. Even if it was just by half an hour.

I'd love to see Kill la Kill on Toonami too. I've already seen Gurren Lagann at least three times already. And I know that they aren't shy to show some mature stuff on the block, but don't you think that'd be pushing it? I hope not, because it'd be awesome for more people to get the opportunity to watch that show.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I hope it gets some ratings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6