• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Durarara!! Premieres on U.S. TV's Adult Swim Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
Well, that was all right. I'm not quite interested yet, but I'm not at all deterred. I think that it's be worthwhile to give it time.

Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Durara!!
Wo-ho-ho, buddy--watch it, you missed a ra. Laughing

Eh, I have a firm two syllable limit on repetitions. If you want three, you gotta pay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Adult Swim skimps on the unbleeped heavy cussing mostly, I assume because they're still part of Cartoon Network and there's risk of kids turning it on.

A show where a person spoiler[ falls in love with a head] isn't a show where the cussing is its greatest concern of minors seeing.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
AS aired Futurama for years. Head love is a non-issue.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Only because it's Lucy Liu! Laughing
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

I see... Laughing
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:03 am Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
They sure did chop up the opening... Now the s word is coming up...

Edit - Adult Swim cut the opening (and ending), and even bleeped the s word. Looks like the beginning of episode 7 of the dub is half ruined! :lol:

The aspect ratio seemed to be mucked up for the HD version of CN (unless Comcast did something themselves). It was letterboxed, but didn't look right when the TV was set to 4:3 mode, either.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
I know I can just watch it online, but reading everyone's comments makes me miss having tv -_-
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
Shortened op and ed. The Durarara ending is the best! How dare they shorten Yuya Matsushita's beautiful voice...and the awesome animation! And I hear bleeps!!! It's on AS why the heck do they need to censor .___.

Dub...as usual, cannot compare to the subbed ver >.> But i can bear with this.
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:00 am Reply with quote
monkeyshinobi wrote:
Shortened op and ed. The Durarara ending is the best! How dare they shorten Yuya Matsushita's beautiful voice...and the awesome animation! And I hear bleeps!!! It's on AS why the heck do they need to censor .___.

you gotta remember AS is still on a kids network soooo yeah your gonna hear some bleeps here and there and they have to shorten the op and end for more ad time
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote
Mr Big200 wrote:
monkeyshinobi wrote:

you gotta remember AS is still on a kids network soooo yeah your gonna hear some bleeps here and there and they have to shorten the op and end for more ad time

true...but i mean there are warnings before AS begins, lol. Well at least they kept the ed animation unlike bleach...where they just have the song and random pictures.
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
that's Viz's little handy work only way you get to see the real opening is if you get it on DVD
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
Mr Big200 wrote:
that's Viz's little handy work only way you get to see the real opening is if you get it on DVD

I mean, it's the networks that determine cuts and edits, not so much the studio. I know, this gives a reason for disliking 4kids less. But it's just so much fun! Smile
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
You can't complain about bleeps. It was obvious by the context that every bleep was the s-word, so it's not like the bleeps ruined it. It beats audible mutes where you're not sure if your tv just cut out.

The show wasn't that great for me. The main plot with the kid was weak. I'll stick with it because that headless woman motorcycle rider thing was cool. How did the voices stack up compared to the sub? Sub viewers are predisposed to hate it, and the weakness of the A-Plot didn't help, but did it compare?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dollssoulkirie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
The show wasn't that great for me. The main plot with the kid was weak. I'll stick with it because that headless woman motorcycle rider thing was cool. How did the voices stack up compared to the sub? Sub viewers are predisposed to hate it, and the weakness of the A-Plot didn't help, but did it compare?

The actual plot doesn't happen till after each "character introduction" episode are completed. So you have awhile to wait before seeing a plot. Because you'll see certain days' events from various other characters' eyes and noticed what you saw in the previous episode might be in the next episode, like in the corner/background.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
I watched it live yesterday and it was pretty good. Yes, it did have some bleeps, but it show it self wasn't censored or edited. For example, spoiler[ the biker without a head sliced that car driver in half, so the edits weren't that bad.]

Also about the time, 9:30 PM isn't that late and is better than not having the chance to watch the show entirely. In AS case, some anime is better than nothing at all.

Since it's Aniplex, I already like the English dub, but as for the story, watching the next episode next week will provide me a better means to see where it's going.

Last edited by Teriyaki Terrier on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4