• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kino's Journey: completely blows away expectations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roujin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
*adds to Netflix queue*
seems right up my alley
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
roujin wrote:
*adds to Netflix queue*
seems right up my alley

Mwah, ha ha!!! Our attempts at world Kino's Journey domination are coming to fruition!!! ::much evil wrining of hands insues::

Smile

Glad to see you'll be checking it out. I'd like to hear what you think of it eventually.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
So I watched Kino's Journey vol 2 last night and I was like D: my God! at the end of just about all 3 of the episodes on the disk from being impressed by the masterful storytelling and awesome perfection that is Kino's Journey. If the rest of the series is like this (and hopefully even better) there is no chance that this show won't replace my current all-time favorite anime series. Which will be the first anime in seven consecutive years to take the number #1 spot (currently held by Fushigi Yuugi).

I happen to be watching this series pretty much only dubbed in English because I like both Kino's and Hermes' voice. I think they fit the characters very well. The episodes seem to flip-flop between episodic and non-episodic which is very unique in anime, but the overal flow of the series is very smooth and I'm always on the edge of my seat waiting to see what's going to happen next. As I've said before my expectations of this show were very high but those expectations never came remotely close to doing it justice, now that I've seen part of it.
mapi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the first episode... wow, what a wonderful and beautiful story!! I really like the philosophy of the episodes, and the animation is nice too.

Also, kudos for the post. There needs to be more of these posts; I've heard about this anime from a friend, but without this post I probably never would've discovered it!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Now, I know that this topic hasn't been discussed for awhile but I just finished Kino no Tabi and I really wanted to say something or at least to discuss it with people that have seen it.

It really wasn't on my to watch anime and I didn't pay much attention to it when one of my friends mention it. Nonetheless doing an anime night with some of my friends, I saw this and I must say it is one of the most interesting anime that I have seen so far.

I really enjoyed parts of the story and the way it develops along the episodes. The special subtlety that exists in some of the stories really made me think. Now, I am not the type that searches something philosophical in the anime (always to discover something profound) but to tell you the truth I really caught here the magic of travelling. That way when you're leaving your house and you don't know how the things might work out in the journey but you are really eager to try it. I really had the feeling at some point that I can understand Kino's wish of travelling. I also travelled a lot and sometimes I am in constant movement (though my studies don't give me that much freedom Shocked ) and I had the impression to see my desire materialised in this anime (except of the strange places that Kino and Hermes encounter in their journey). Wink

I also liked the fact that the motocycle was called Hermes (the Greek god, who protected the travellers on their way from one place to another) plus the fact that some of the episodes were making some fascinating discoveries. I particularly enjoyed the episode with the country of books (because for a long time I have studied literature) and I was amused to see how some of the ideas that I have encountered at some of my teachers were mentioned there in different forms and sayings. I particularly enjoyed the moment when Kino said something like: "No normal being would become an author in the first place" and at that moment I remembered the way we used to say about all the great authors: that they all have a drop of madness in their bones Smile .I especially liked the moment when spoiler[she comes across the "perfect book" and she discovers that it is empty. ] The French poet Mallarme (I'm not sure if he was the one) had this idea that spoiler[an empty book]may be considered the perfect creation, because it can't have flaws. (not that I really understood the modernits poets. Wink )

The art work was interesting and I quite appreciated the way there was this play between light and shadows, the way some of the worlds where in a total contrast. But what impressed me the most was the way in which they showed the absurdity of the human existence in some of the parts, especially spoiler[in the episode "Three men on the trails" , with the three men that work in vain on the rail way.]I found it so sad because for me those characters resembled so much to some of the people that I have met, that have wasted their lives because they were uncapable to see the world around them.

Th music completes perfectly the anime and I think that the final episode is really the cherry on top of what has been a really beautiful journey. Ok, I will stop here before this turns into a really long post. Embarassed
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
But what impressed me the most was the way in which they showed the absurdity of the human existence in some of the parts, especially spoiler[in the episode "Three men on the trails" , with the three men that work in vain on the rail way.]I found it so sad because for me those characters resembled so much to some of the people that I have met, that have wasted their lives because they were uncapable to see the world around them.

Interesting. I saw that segment a little differently, though, Aya, and have an insight that might make it seem a bit less sad for you. spoiler[Yes, our first thought is that it's an exercise in futility and they're wasting their lives. But the jobs also gave these men the means to send money back home and support their families. They are very happy to be able to care for the people they love, so their lives are not being wasted in vain.]

I certainly agree that Kino's Journey is one of the best and most unique anime out there, and would urge anyone 13+ to watch it.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
aya_honda wrote:
But what impressed me the most was the way in which they showed the absurdity of the human existence in some of the parts, especially spoiler[in the episode "Three men on the trails" , with the three men that work in vain on the rail way.]I found it so sad because for me those characters resembled so much to some of the people that I have met, that have wasted their lives because they were uncapable to see the world around them.

Interesting. I saw that segment a little differently, though, Aya, and have an insight that might make it seem a bit less sad for you. spoiler[Yes, our first thought is that it's an exercise in futility and they're wasting their lives. But the jobs also gave these men the means to send money back home and support their families. They are very happy to be able to care for the people they love, so their lives are not being wasted in vain.]

It's an interesting point of view. But I have two things that perhaps I might have got them wrong. One is spoiler[the question that these men ask Kino: where is she headed? I mean, I felt that though they are thinking on their families and it is about the only thing that keeps them going on, at the same time it was a job that alienated them from everything. The question that they all have in common made me think of the fact that they actually are transformed in a complete way and a return to a common existence (next to their families, let's say) might destroy them.]
And my second thought on this, well, actually more of a question: spoiler[the country from which they come wasn't that modern one? Where the people worked just to have the stress and they had modern, super sci-fy means of transportation? And in case my thought on this is right, wouldn't again show that no one cares about them anymore and that they are wasting their lives?]
It seems I really want to see them unhappy. Embarassed
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
It seems I really want to see them unhappy. Embarassed

No no, I know exactly what you're seeing, and I see it the same way... kind of...

Many points and trains of thought in the show seem to be there largely to show the flaws inherent in such plans. They generally sound good or logical in practice, but when applied to extremes they become the almost unbelievable situations you see in the show. The thought patterns are ones that have obviously played an important role psychologically in events of the past, present and future (self-fulfilling prophecies, ignorance and stubbornness on scientific issues, relying too heavily on technology... etc etc). A large part of the show seems to be to show how miserable the people are/should/would be if they were carry out such single-minded and uncompromising views; through the generally negative actions and experiences Kino views in the city-states, I think the viewer is supposed to learn a lesson. Kino's Journey is one of the only shows I've seen that I would actually classify as 'philosophical' or 'psychological'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
musashi1600

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching the last episode about 15 minutes ago, and I have to say this is a most excellent series. Anime smile

That said, here's my beef with the way the series ended:

spoiler[I don't blame the creators for wanting to end the series with a bang (as well as explain a small line in the first episode and how she got Ranger), but it didn't seem to sit well with the way the 12th episode ended. It's probably just because I haven't bothered to give it a decent amount of thought yet, but what did Kino mean when she said it wasn't necessary to travel to the next country? Judging from the end of the final episode, it seems that she's still traveling, which would seem to contradict that statement, hence my confusion.] Anime dazed
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:

spoiler[I don't blame the creators for wanting to end the series with a bang (as well as explain a small line in the first episode and how she got Ranger), but it didn't seem to sit well with the way the 12th episode ended. It's probably just because I haven't bothered to give it a decent amount of thought yet, but what did Kino mean when she said it wasn't necessary to travel to the next country? Judging from the end of the final episode, it seems that she's still traveling, which would seem to contradict that statement, hence my confusion.] Anime dazed

spoiler[I believe the statement was in regard to the other country that was involved in that specific episode. So, it would be just like the one she was leaving and therefore, there would be no reason to go to it. As far as the ending--yes, the journey is apparently continuing:
http://www.dengekibunko-movie.com/]
musashi1600

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:28 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
spoiler[I believe the statement was in regard to the other country that was involved in that specific episode. So, it would be just like the one she was leaving and therefore, there would be no reason to go to it. As far as the ending--yes, the journey is apparently continuing:
http://www.dengekibunko-movie.com/]

Ah, she was only referring to that specific country. Stupid semantics. XP

At least there won't be any gender confusion in the movie. Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:11 am Reply with quote
I had this feeling that spoiler[she was also training to deal with some unfinished business at that house on the hill back in her home village.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Quote:
A large part of the show seems to be to show how miserable the people are/should/would be if they were carry out such single-minded and uncompromising views; through the generally negative actions and experiences Kino views in the city-states, I think the viewer is supposed to learn a lesson.

Yes, I agree with you. Many of the cases met by Kino during the journey are extremes and I was particularly impressed by the one in which spoiler[she goes to that country where they were expecting the end of the world and I remembered the coming of the year 2000 when people were so stressed that something bad might happen and everybody was remembering all the theories that they knew in connection with the end of the wold.] I think that in a way the lesson that we are supposed to learn is never to judge the world from a single perspective. We should be careful what we choose to see and how judge the world around us. To be open-minded has suddenly an exsitential importance.

selenta wrote:
Quote:
Kino's Journey is one of the only shows I've seen that I would actually classify as 'philosophical' or 'psychological'

To tell you the truth, I had the same feeling. I found many of the ideas that I studied at the philosophy course in there, particularly the theory of the existentialists.

selenta wrote:
Quote:
No no, I know exactly what you're seeing, and I see it the same way... kind of...

It's good to know that I'm not alone in this.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
This is how I described the series to a friend of mine who was intrigued by the artwork on the boxset; a story about a traveller named Kino, a talking motorbike called Hermes, & their adventures in the beautiful world. Sounds surreal? Well, it is. Razz

I bought this series on a whim, i.e., it was cheap, & I was totally unprepared by how deeply philosophical the series would be. The show has a dream-like quality to it, made even more pronounced by the simple animation IMO, which completely belies the series depth. It's one of the most thought provoking series I've ever seen, with each country that Kino visits having it's own unique customs, morals & way of life. The whole show was put together in such a unique way that I was utterly charmed by it, though I did have one complaint about the series, & that was after it had finished, I wanted more, I wanted to carry on with Kino's adventures. I hope that ADV (or someone) gets the rights to the prequel (& there's a movie in production too I believe?) so that I can once again join Kino & Hermes on their journey. An exceptional series.
Fixen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
There's a movie for Kino's Journey coming out April 2007.

Kino's Journey ~The Beautiful World~
http://www.kinonotabi.com/top.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7