• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cross Ange Creative Producer Regrets Episode 13 Opening

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillyMK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
As long as they get their act together for Gintama in April....
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Oh, good to know they'll be naked in the OP on blu-ray. That's very important information, after all.

Indeed. I find it annoying to rewatch series just for added nudity since I only intend to watch any anime once in a long while, and rewatch only when there's a good reason. Like rewatching some Outlaw Star now episodes because the BDs are just drop-dead gorgeous.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
For me the new scenes in the opening is fine, the nudity however I really don't care about and is hit and miss but for that god awful song they used for the 2nd half is just ughh like I can't get into it it's like it's too somber and slow paced for a show like this probably it's just me but I really like the 1st opening a whole lot better than this one it just has like more energy and is a lot more upbeat which I also like but I can live with it because it's the show I care about not the openings or endings most times
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
6,5 is borderline ok. 10.000 is the number that can feed a staff(but barely in the long run).
So this are the numbers. Thank you very much. You helped science.

~3000+ sales is generally considered the break even territory. ~6000 the series is likely profitable, but nothing special. ~10,000+ is where they start discussion options for a second season.

Not a guarantee of success, all anime series drop in sales a bit over the course of their run and it remains to be seen how big a drop Cross Ange will experience. Still, it's a sign that Cross Ange will likely be counted as a modestly profitable series at the end of it's run.

In short, Cross Ange currently is doing neither remarkably well, nor remarkably poorly by general sales standards.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
It's no big deal, it's better that they had clothes than a bunch of light and censor bars (which sucks). It sold a little more than 6500 BDs already so it's at least popular.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
6,5 is borderline ok. 10.000 is the number that can feed a staff(but barely in the long run).
So this are the numbers. Thank you very much. You helped science.

~3000+ sales is generally considered the break even territory. ~6000 the series is likely profitable, but nothing special. ~10,000+ is where they start discussion options for a second season.

Not a guarantee of success, all anime series drop in sales a bit over the course of their run and it remains to be seen how big a drop Cross Ange will experience. Still, it's a sign that Cross Ange will likely be counted as a modestly profitable series at the end of it's run.

In short, Cross Ange currently is doing neither remarkably well, nor remarkably poorly by general sales standards.

^Pretty much.

For a show that was sneered at in the beginning and has generally built a case for itself since (while retaining some of its more controversial elements), 6.5k for CROSS ANGE is pretty good and better than I was expecting (the special offer surely helped, too). Barring a dramatic uptick in perceived quality and audience appreciation, I could see the rest of the volumes settling between 3-4k a piece.

Perhaps it is only appropriate for an extreme-range show like CROSS ANGE to sometimes elicit extreme opinions. Personally, it's in a strange, nebulous spot for me. It's not quite high-entertainment and it's not the worst show out of Sunrise. I can understand both sides, but I can't say its balanced in-between the two, either. It is incredible trashy, as well as derivative to stupendous levels (nearly every single story detail and character design can be linked to somewhere else—no exaggeration), but it is also an engrossing, "what will happen next?" type of series with some good character development and intriguing story elements. It is too smart and knowledgeable to be a guilty pleasure, and too crass and exploitative to be considered a top-flight series. I'd say it is leaning more towards "good" than "bad" at this point…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jirg1901

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
If you follow Fukuda's antics you should realize he fully intended to have the nudity on TV but lost that fight.

I may as well remind some people about G-Reko's joke of a second OP which isn't news because Tomino doesn't care.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Let me remind people that many people (here and in other forums) have said they disliked the first two episodes but have liked cross ange after that. So even if there are people that buyed the first volume for the opportunity of buying later on an event ticked, there is also the posibility that many people will start buying cross ange starting with volume 2.
Ushio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
This show has fans?

Sold extremely high on the weekly Blu-ray rankings. And I purchased a copy of the first volume. It's really good once you get past the first 3 episodes. I really love it. :3

Only because the first volume has a very big bonus included the second volume will drop massively.
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Wow, even this show's fuckups are remarkably similar to Code Geass. Nice job Sunrise!

Ummm...no? It's literally much worse in every aspect.

Many other shows have had some recycled images in their opening or ending sequences, but that doesn't mean they are "remarkably similar" to this piece of trash.

Creative Producer Fukuda apologizing for not having nearly enough nudity in this new opening sequence is a creepy "fuckup" that's completely exclusive to this bad show.

The same thing goes for its level of female exploitation and consistently terrible animation. We are in the presence of a candidate for the world record of poor taste in the category of TV anime.
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know you could exploit fictional characters.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

But I can assure you some people will make negative remarks about Cross Ange after only watching the first three episodes (at best, many if them have only read the comments other haters make).
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
As long as the negative remarks are supported by the contents of the show, which can be further confirmed by looking at screenshots, reading reviews and blogs, I don't think it's particularly necessary to subject other human beings to every single episode of this unfortunate product before being able to criticize it.

And yes, the repeated exploitation of fictional characters is in poor taste at best and grossly insulting at worse. I'm not calling for any form of censorship, mind you, but still lament its existence.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
As long as the negative remarks ... can be further confirmed by looking at screenshots, reading reviews and blogs

You have a bright future ahead of you as a climate change "skeptic" or as a creationism pundit.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

But I can assure you some people will make negative remarks about Cross Ange after only watching the first three episodes (at best, many if them have only read the comments other haters make).

Yes, it all comes down to haters. Congratulations, you're now on the intellectual level of Taylor Swift. Take that as a compliment, because until now, I'd thought that people like you were hung up at the emotional and intellectual maturity of a fourteen-year-old.

mangamuscle wrote:
jroa wrote:
As long as the negative remarks ... can be further confirmed by looking at screenshots, reading reviews and blogs

You have a bright future ahead of you as a climate change "skeptic" or as a creationism pundit.

Wow, drawings of naked ladies must be really important to you. I mean, to the point that they must be so all-consuming that you're reduced to a level of angry, irrational defensiveness usually associated with ultra-nationalists and cult members.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4