• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Shafted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I think my favorite thing about Golden Time was Kouko Kaga, who has a glorious character arc. She starts out as a deliciously crazy, yandere (that's the term for obsessive, right?) poor little rich girl, but she has enough self awareness and sense of mind to gradually change.

I don't think Kaga quite fits in as a yandere. To my knowledge, a yandere is a character who is not only obsessed with someone else, but will do literally anything for that someone. Most of the times yanderes have a psychotic mind or slight mental issues because of their obsession. Best example would be Gasai Yuno from Mirai Nikki.

Quote:
spoiler[Ghost Banri] ruined Golden Time for me. At first, I thought he was a disposable gimmick, maybe giving the show some color or serving as a Kouko/Linda contrast. Then when I realized they intended to bet the entire show on him and the amnesia device, I ultimately slipped into hate-watching. Pity, too, because the first half is pretty good, and the college setting is a welcome escape from high school.

The amnesia device does seem to be used somewhat often in romances, but maybe it's because I haven't watched a lot of amnesia stories that Golden Time was a good experience for me. spoiler[Ghost Banri] wasn't too big of a problem for me, because it added a touch of supernatural elements to this, but uses it in a good way. What did frustrate me a little was spoiler[Banri's continuous change towards the end of the story. He kept going from normal Banri to old Banri and whenever he changed he would crouch in the corner of a room and keep calling Linda. It was pathetic and ticked me off, though I do understand a little why he would do that.]
Stratum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It'd be adorable if her sole reason for liking Raku didn't seem to stem from him telling her she was cute. It just seems uninspired
She spent almost an entire episode hating and trying to kill him, and then one compliment later and suddenly she likes him. I interpreted it as the show pointing out how ridiculous the whole "love via compliment" thing really is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3