• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 EDs of 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
aLIEz by SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]:mizuki (Aldnoah.Zero)
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Imitosis--
Welcome to ANN!
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The song doesn't have to make sense, because it's awesome and that's all that matters.

Well said.

Random 21 wrote:
Also do shorts count in the poll? Because if so my other vote goes to My Neighbour Seki, no contest. Even for a short the ED to that show was by far one of the most memorable.

Agreed, excellent ending song and animation to compliment the show.
imredjimmy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
This list is perfection. It's really similar to my top 10 as well. Can't wait for more of these articles.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:24 am Reply with quote
I've always wondered why ending themes are considered a back seat to opening themes. I always think a lot more talent and effort is put into ending themes, just going by my opinion that opening themes are usually just mediocre most of the time. I mean it seems logical that the beginning of the show would be the better choice for showcasing talent. But I don't know why I always tend to like EDs better or why probably 9 out of every 10 theme songs overall are EDs.

Anyway, my 3 favorite 2014 endings are
Oración from No Game No Life
You Gotta Love Me! from Inou Battle
Wonderful Wonder World from Log Horizon 2

2 of those are songs that could easily be opening themes in that they are upbeat and catchy. They just happen to be EDs and I think they are great songs.
BladeBlur

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
Kind of sad to see Aimer for #1 since I thought this was her worst song by far. The chorus really ruined the song for me personally.

Overall not a bad list besides that. My choices are different, way different, but at least I think they deserve a shout-out:

1. "Niji" by Shinku Horou (Naruto ED28) - I think if you put this song in context of the arc in the anime it becomes even more powerful. Niji, despite the word literally mean "Rainbow" is surprisingly very dark and edgy song. The song slowly builds up to a very powerful chorus that ends with perhaps one of the most harrowing shots in the series with the ten tails looming in the horizon under a dark shadow. Niji is perhaps only second to MOTHER in terms Naruto EDs, but man is it great.
2. "Tenchi Gaeshi (Haikyuu ED1) - Hope summarized it better than I can, and I definitely like the change of pace from NICO's usual style. It isn't my favorite song by them (that honor is reserved for Niwaka Ame ni mo Makezu), but I like it a lot.
3. "Never Change" by SHUN feat. Lyu:Lyu (Naruto ED30) - Odd to put both Naruto themes here (and 29 and 31 are nowhere near this list so don't worry), but I liked this song if only for how the rapping segment by SHUN build up to a rather cool chorus sung by Lyu:Lyu. Usually a combo like that doesn't work, but here, it does well.
4. "We Will Survive" by The Sketchbook (Gaist Crusher ED2) - I remember disliking this song because the verse only started 27 seconds into the TV version, but the full version more than sold me enough on the song. It just fills one up with hope as the title entails, and with the great guitar trademark of the sketchbook it works. I only wish their Chain Chronicle were qualified since "Arrive" would've been higher than We Will Survive in that case.
5. "SABLE" by Nano (M3 Kurogane ED2) - Nano is a singer that solidifies that a female vocalist can be just as good when it comes to fast and powerful singing. I always liked her style, and it's one of her best, even topping "To be Born" from earlier the year which was also a classic.
6. "Amazing the World" by SCREEN mode (Gundam Build Fighters TRY) - SCREEN Mode has a very interesting style. Gekkou Story was slow and heartfelt, LOVEST was poppy and energetic and their newest song Kyokugen Dreamer was heroic. Amazing the World sort of combines the two previous song and adds more fast singing to what I believe is their best song so far.
7. "Start Line!" by 7!! (Kindaichi ED2) - Waiting for someone to comment about the 7!! inclusion for #7. Also why didn't they do the theme for Nanatsu no Taizai? Anyway, I find myself liking their slower and less rock heavy songs because they have this slice of life feel to them that warms my heart, for a lack of a better term.
8. "7 ~Seven~ by FLOW and GRANRODEO (Nanatsu no Taizai) - MAYBE THAT SONG SHOULD'VE BEEN #7 since it's in the title?! Either way as much as I like FLOW, it's not one of their best, despite including one of the most popular seiyuu bands in GRANRODEO. Still it's oozing with fun, and should've probably been the intro to the anime, albeit the Ikimonogakari song wasn't bad.
9. "Junjou" by Leo Ieiri (Dragon Ball Kai ED2) - DON'T BEAT UP! Talk about a catchy song. I am surprised I am one of the few who loves this one considering how beloved her Toriko ending was. I find Junjou better because it has a pretty catchy beats along with Engrish lyrics that will be hard to forget.
10. "BLUE" by Fujifabric (Ao Haru Ride) - Airy. The first word that comes to mind. It's a very soothing and calming song, which proves that Fujifabric have range in terms of music (their Silver Spoon OP was great!).

Other honorable mentions: "Yoru" by Vistlip, "LIGHTING" by TERRASPEX, "Leo" by Tacica, "Seijatachi" by PEOPLE IN THE BOX. "Realize" by ROOKiEZ is PUNK'D
MakoMori

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:48 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad you're making some videos again, Hope! I enjoyed this list and the top openings one as well. I haven't seen many of these shows, but all the songs on this list are really good. I'm so glad Future Fish is here, and yes, it's great how it ties in to the show itself. But since you brought it up for Rage of Bahamut, Future Fish becomes somewhat out of place in later episodes, but I still love it to bits.
Welcome to X Dimension grew on me a lot, and I'm listening to it on repeat lately.
Again, good list! Looking forward to more Smile
joisu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
Where is EGOIST's Fallen?! Sad
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
imredjimmy & MakoMori--
Welcome to ANN, folks! Cool
Alph4Xerxes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Turns out only 3 of my top 10 are on the set list. And again, two aren't even on the voting list...

1. Silver Spoon S2 ED "Oto no Naru Hou e->" by Goose House
2. Terror in Resonance ED "Dare ka, Umi wo." by Aimer
3. M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane ED1 "ego-izm" by la la larks
4. Ping Pong EDs "'Ano Hero to' Bokura ni Tsuite"/"'Ano Yoake Mae no' Bokura ni Tsuite" by merengue
5. Mekakucity Actors ED "days" by Jin ft. Lia
6. Selector Infected WIXOSS ED "realize -Yume no Matsu Basho-" by Cyua
7. Black Bullet ED "Tokohana" by Yanagi Nagi
8. Nanatsu no Taizai ED1 "7 -seven-" by FLOW x GRANRODEO
9. Aldnoah.Zero ED "A/Z" by SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]:mizuki
10. Noragami ED "Heart Realise" by Tia
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Here are my favorites from 2014:

Aldnoah.Zero (BOTH EDs) - I love both EDs to Aldnoah.Zero. If I had to choose between the two, it'd be aLIEz, but they're both awesome.

The Kawai Complex Guide... - Weirdly enough, I consider the ED to be the best part of the show.

Silver Spoon 2 - Super adorable! Anime hyper

Free! Eternal Summer - ....DON'T JUDGE ME. The manservice makes me smile in how ridiculous it is.

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works - I'm a sucker for Kalafina. Anything they put out, I'm bound to like.

My list is pretty small cause I'm pretty much choosing from the anime I saw last year, and I didn't really see anything from the fall season (except for Fate).
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
So, ANN published the 2014 OP poll results *without* listings the song titles and artists?

Could this be corrected please?
Seadevil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
My favorites in order are as follows:

10) One Week Friends
9) Ping Pong
8) Inari Kon Kon
7) Your Lie in April
6) Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
5) Silver Spoon
4) Noragami (I can't believe "Heart Realise" didn't make the cut on your list!)
3) Barakamon
2) Terror in Resonance
1) Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - I agree that this is cheating a little, but the animation fits perfectly and brings back some good nostalgia from when this song first came out!
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Off the top of my head I think my favorite intro from 2014 was probably Angela's Knights of Sidonia one. For ending....hmmm that's a bit tough. If I'm being quite honest it's probably something like Jojo's Walk like an Egyptian, but considering that's actually just a song from the 70's used as the ending I'm going to go with G's Flash from Reconguista in G. Most of the popular and more common picks just really did not do it for me in 2014 being either just what I would describe as loud, noisy and kind of unpleasant to listen to or just plain not my taste.

Other OP's I would consider at least noteworthy would be both of Cross Ange's intros (one of the only particularly good things about the show), Jam Projects Divine Flame intro for Garo, Cerulean from Gundam Build Fighters Try, Viva Namida from Space Dandy and Tada Hitori from Ping Pong. Other than that nothing else in particular really comes to mind besides maybe the ZEN-LA-ROCK ED from Space Dandy.
kazunya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
My absolute favourite ED of 2014 would be from Fate/stay night UBW, mainly because I'm a huge Kalafina/Kajiura fangirl, but I also thought the lyrics were a good fit for the series if one acutally thinks about it.
I've also really enjoyed both Aldnoah.Zero EDs, though I probably liked A/Z a bit more than aliez.
Other favourites of mine would be the second Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei ED, which had really nice lyrics (the series it belongs to was not exactly my thing) and the second Captain Earth ED, though it took some time to grow on me.

About what Hope said regarding to the Bahamut ED... It does seem a bit out of place, though since it's sung by Amira's voice actress, I've always seen it as a bit of a character song, at least thematically. I remember that one episode spoiler[where she finally finds her mother and it doesn't end well] and the real emotional gravity only hit me when this song started playing and I ended up bawling my eyes out. I really like it when theme songs can work this way.

As for suggestions, I also really the idea of making season-specific top lists. I often watch these on youtube, but they're mostly all the same, so it would be nice to see more thought out and individual ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4