• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical Warfare Anime Gets English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Only reason I even gave it a 6 was because of Nanri Yuuka OP

Yep, that was one of the awesomest songs of the year. Which makes all the more infuriating that the animation going with it manages to be one of the most convoluted, generic intros I've ever seen.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:

It was bad but nobody publicly denounced it like how the author of the original Magical Warfare books denounced the anime.

I at least got some entertainment from Dai-Shogun, if only at laughing at how bad it was, and some of the characters. Didn't get any from Magical Warfare whatsoever.

After watching 2 episodes of Dai-shogun, I stopped and I keep losing faith in the anime industry.
unfortunately for me I had the displeasure of going through dai-shogun but it just really bored me but that's about it. The only redemming factor of the show was that I stopped watching it I Think at like episode 5 or 6 and never looked back and also the ending theme from nano born to be was pretty good so besides that it was really bad and I don't say that a lot because I really like looking at horrible shows just as research.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
do you really need English Dub for an anime that' s going to sell 300 copies?
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
Maybe the Japanese side requested a dub in hopes that it would sell more copies? Thats the only reason I could think of that they would dub it (assuming this show is as bad as everyone says)

Im really dissappointed bout captain earth not getting dubbed. Im still considering buying the release though, cause who knows, maybe if it does well enough they'll go back and dub it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Maybe the Japanese side requested a dub in hopes that it would sell more copies? Thats the only reason I could think of that they would dub it (assuming this show is as bad as everyone says)

Im really dissappointed bout captain earth not getting dubbed. Im still considering buying the release though, cause who knows, maybe if it does well enough they'll go back and dub it.

I think what hurt Captain Earth was a combination of its length and the fact that it doesn't appear to have a UK distributor yet, though Hannabee has it in Australia. However, with it already picked up down under, I could see it getting re-released with a dub later, especially if the UK jumps on board.

TBS is on the production committee for Magical Warfare, and with the exception of slice of life shows, nearly everything of theirs has been getting a dub of late. Even some shows that were initially released sub-only were given the dub treatment later, sometimes even years later. I'm wondering if this may have something to do with it, especially as Sentai seems to have exclusive dibs on TBS shows.

Edit: It appears that Sentai licensed this one from Media Factory.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:08 am Reply with quote
Think I made it to the second episode, then put it out of my mind and never thought about it again.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
They're dubbing it and they're gonna make it awesome! It'll make a meh anime into something you just have to add to the shelf. You'll see... Wink
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:41 am Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:
They're dubbing it and they're gonna make it awesome! It'll make a meh anime into something you just have to add to the shelf. You'll see... Wink
Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be awesome if they gave this show the Ghost Stories treatment?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:20 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be awesome if they gave this show the Ghost Stories treatment?

If there ever was a time a parody/joke dub would have a shot at making a better product, it is this. At least it can't get worse...
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:42 am Reply with quote
Never thought Magical Warfare would get the dub treatment. I don't usually call a series bad if I enjoy aspects of it, but MW is bad IMO. Sure, I did enjoy some of it, and it does have the typical troupes spread through it...but pacing issues killed it.

And, IMO, it ended just when it was looking like things would be going in an interesting direction. That ending left me floored...but, knowing that nothing will come of it, makes it one of the worst open endings to an anime I've seen.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

If the Japanese companies want it to sell, they might allow this. Even if Sentai stayed faithful to the script, it may/may not sell better.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
itachi06103570 wrote:
unfortunately for me I had the displeasure of going through dai-shogun but it just really bored me but that's about it. The only redemming factor of the show was that I stopped watching it I Think at like episode 5 or 6 and never looked back and also the ending theme from nano born to be was pretty good so besides that it was really bad and I don't say that a lot because I really like looking at horrible shows just as research.

Well as I said, anime like this makes me lose faith in the industry.

publicenemy333 wrote:

I was exactly thinking the same.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Blanchimont wrote:
If there ever was a time a parody/joke dub would have a shot at making a better product, it is this. At least it can't get worse...

Yeah well I'm not sure if giving a "ghost-stories" style dub will fix this mess which is Magical Warfare. Confused Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DenjinZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
Yes, Sentai. Go ahead and waste money dubbing a show that sold really poorly in Japan. Ugh, I sometimes don't get why some shows get physical and dubbed releases while others don't. I mean, things like Gosick and C3, which sold around 3k or 2k copies (which aren't that impressive either, but better than some shows), don't get anything, but crud like OniAi (which was sub only), Diabolik Lovers (never seen it, just going by sale numbers), and Mahou Sensou do.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
DenjinZ wrote:
Yes, Sentai. Go ahead and waste money dubbing a show that sold really poorly in Japan. Ugh, I sometimes don't get why some shows get physical and dubbed releases while others don't. I mean, things like Gosick and C3, which sold around 3k or 2k copies (which aren't that impressive either, but better than some shows), don't get anything, but crud like OniAi (which was sub only), Diabolik Lovers (never seen it, just going by sale numbers), and Mahou Sensou do.

Well Gosick was picked up. It just had the misfortune of getting picked up by Bandai 6 months before Bandai cancelled all future releases and stopped producing DVDs.
DenjinZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:

Well Gosick was picked up. It just had the misfortune of getting picked up by Bandai 6 months before Bandai cancelled all future releases and stopped producing DVDs.

Oh, I'm aware that Gosick was to be released at one point. I guess I'm a little bitter that no one else picked up the license again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4