• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Answerman Today

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
I don't know what you read or where you read it, but I personally think that abuse of animals is one of the worst things anyone can do. As with the abuse of children, most pets simply can't fight back effectively or take preventive action against further abuse. For that reason I think they should have additional protections such that crimes committed against them should be dealt with more harshly, just as if you were harming a child. Instead, crimes against animals are generally dealt with much more leniently than most crimes against humans and that just doesn’t seem very logical to me. If it's wrong to harm a human, then shouldn't it be equally wrong to harm an animal? If it's extra wrong to harm a human that can't fight back, then it should be extra wrong to harm an animal that can't fight back? I don't think we should take this to extremes, but in general I think that acts of violence toward animals should be treated much more harshly than they are now and that research on animals should be justified and peer reviewed prior to authorization.
I'm not saying I disagree, although I think the punishments for abusing animals have to be kept lower than those for abusing people because, simply put, there is a very real difference. Personally, I don't think the legal system currently treats people who abuse children as harshly as it should.

My stance on animal research is if it saves human lives, I'm willing to have it. Much like you, I just want the scientists and doctors to be able to justify what they did. (Although peer reviewing is problematic with some things due to political issues. Certain subjects can not be peer reviewed without risking your job.)

There was clearly something wrong with the people on that thread though. Someone literally suggested that it was okay to murder people, murder real live human people, but it wasn't okay to kick a puppy. (It's NOT okay to kick a puppy, but isn't it just a tad more ethical than murder?)

Also, I'd like to add that the legal system of this country has been giving out some very disturbing sentences to people who harm children lately. A man was convicted of raping children and he got probation because the judge was afraid he'd get abused in prison because he was short. Here's the proof: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9713304/detail.html

Man, off-topic.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:15 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Also, I'd like to add that the legal system of this country has been giving out some very disturbing sentences to people who harm children lately.

Yes, that's certainly disturbing. We all know that prisoners in America are routinely abused, beaten, raped and even murdered in jail and that this goes well beyond their actual sentence, but the way to handle it is to clean up the prison system and not to be extra lenient to offenders. Why nobody is willing to straiten out our prison system and why this judge saw fit to apparently let a rapist avoid jail is beyond me.

I was also rather disturbed by the case of a group of teenagers who broke into a stray and abused animal shelter at night and attacked dozens of helpless cats with baseball bats, in many cases to death and on video, with the worst offenders getting a single night in jail while the others got off with probation.

However, the child abuse case you listed is clearly the exception while the animal abuse case is much more of the rule. Some states in the US don't even have any specific laws against torturing animals, which means that even killing your cherished pets is only considered destruction of private property. Your pets may be near and dear companions to you, but in the eyes of the American legal system most pets are only worth a few dollars per head tops and thus bring only the most minor of misdemeanor charges when they're harmed or killed.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
did anyone here get a wii?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
tiredgamer wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
WTF? There is no Answerman column and still this thread manages to get over 20 replies and 1,000 views in a day... Why?

The AnswerForce, of course. It surrounds and distracts us all -- that slimcase, that DVD player, even those cute kittens.
Because all of us who have no lives look to the AnswerMan column every latenight Thursday / Friday morning as one of the highlights of our week, so even when there's no column, we feel the need to post about something in Talkback.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
tiredgamer wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
WTF? There is no Answerman column and still this thread manages to get over 20 replies and 1,000 views in a day... Why?

The AnswerForce, of course. It surrounds and distracts us all -- that slimcase, that DVD player, even those cute kittens.
Because all of us who have no lives look to the AnswerMan column every latenight Thursday / Friday morning as one of the highlights of our week, so even when there's no column, we feel the need to post about something in Talkback.

Could it also possibly be that we are lemmings? And we have to plunge over the Answerman cliff whether we need to or not?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

i got two. i camped outside best buy in a line of 70 people for almost 30 hours and it was well worth it. we brought out a barbeque and a couple tvs. it was pretty tight to say the least. i wish console launches like this happened more often Very Happy
Nerv1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:22 am Reply with quote
NO!!! Why? Why!?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote
Looks like there's no shelf life either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

Sorry, folks.

Shelf Life is currently undergoing an overhaul; some major changes are happening there. It will return next time it's scheduled to be published, which is in 2 weeks.

This week is also Thanksgiving and much of our staff is traveling, so the columns schedule is going to be a little wacky right now.

We do, however, have a new review going up every day and an interview going up later today. Answerman will return on Friday as scheduled as well.

Thank you for your patience, and sorry for the inconvenience.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

Sorry, folks.

Shelf Life is currently undergoing an overhaul; some major changes are happening there. It will return next time it's scheduled to be published, which is in 2 weeks.

This week is also Thanksgiving and much of our staff is traveling, so the columns schedule is going to be a little wacky right now.

We do, however, have a new review going up every day and an interview going up later today. Answerman will return on Friday as scheduled as well.

Thank you for your patience, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Don't worry! We understand, the Holiday Time is insane for most of us too!

Hope that you feel better and have a good Thanksgiving Zac!
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

i got two. i camped outside best buy in a line of 70 people for almost 30 hours and it was well worth it.
That's why rural Wal-Mart rule. 4 hours, 14 people, 17 Wiis.

Wii Number: 8861-9884-7083-8346

Last edited by Ataru on Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
okay okay since no one has said it yet:

Zac is currently busy playing with his wii and thus is unable to frighten us with vaguely disarming kittens listening to what looks like daft punk's discovery album.

there, i made a wii joke. HAPPY NOW?

fawhooosh!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:
okay okay since no one has said it yet:

Zac is currently busy playing with his wii and thus is unable to frighten us with vaguely disarming kittens listening to what looks like daft punk's discovery album.

there, i made a wii joke. HAPPY NOW?

fawhooosh!

Actually, my fiancee is totally hogging the Wii. I should've bought Trauma Center AFTER I finished Zelda. Smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Actually, my fiancee is totally hogging the Wii. I should've bought Trauma Center AFTER I finished Zelda. Smile

Were you caught in the "other" storm at all? Wink
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

i got two. i camped outside best buy in a line of 70 people for almost 30 hours and it was well worth it. we brought out a barbeque and a couple tvs. it was pretty tight to say the least. i wish console launches like this happened more often Very Happy

I camped out to. it was cold, and my dad showed up at 3a.m. and told me to go home. Which was nice.

No Shelf life either! Tis the season. I can't wai to see the new/overhauled stuff Zac spoke of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4