• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Discuss Which Anime Both Positively & Negatively Affected Their Lives

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Anime and manga have affected me both positively and negatively. On the positive side they have provided me with an interesting hobby. On the negative, they have cost me a lot of money, almost as much as my wife spends on her dolls.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
For me Cowboy Bebop inspired me to become an artist and Full Metal Panic inspired me to start writing.
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Honestly it is the people making these decision, so the ones to blame are themselves if something negatively affected their lives. If a person blames something else for a decision they themselves made then it is them not taking responsibility for something they decided on their own.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I was an otaku before I knew the word. I was always drawn in by scifi, fantasy, animation, comics, and the like. Harry Potter (and the internet) introduced me to the concept of "fandom." (Actually, that might've started earlier, with The X-Files). I never really got anime until someone sent me some eps of the first Fullmetal Alchemist and insisted I watch them. Before I knew it I was in *deep*. Razz

Watching subs made me incredibly fascinated by Japanese. It was a language unlike any I had ever heard, and that was important. As a kid in an abusive home, foreign languages was the one mental block I never thought I could get over. Any mistake I made in my homework was met with yelling at best, full out beatings at worst. Which just made me feel even stupider for not getting it.

But Japanese was different from any other language I was familiar with, and learning it at my own pace was something I chose to do for fun (I think of it as "some people do sudoku or crossword puzzles, I dabble in Japanese"). The fact that I choose to learn a foreign language as a hobby (even if I'm not doing it in order to be fluent) is something I probably never would've done if it weren't for anime. So, yeah, that's a positive thing that came out solely from my exposure to anime.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Anime made me the man I am today. I was a total shutin until I watched Welcome to the NHK & saw a life so much like my own play out on screen. a 17 year old old girl with serious emotional problems will deliver gay conversion therapy literature to my door & start my own journey to realising what a self-pitying loser I've let myself become.

Oh wow!, you really love this show!
Banjo

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
so many interesting stories here, some of them are weird though. I will keep my own in my heart. Cool
Simfreak101

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I joined the forums just to respond to this topic... only to realize I don't know what to type.

In general I think it has had a positive influence on my life. I had a late start in that I didn't do well in highschool and thought I could 'make it' working at the local best buy. By 22 (3 years into anime) something snapped and I thought I could do better. I ended up taking out some loans and getting my degree at Devry.
In order to play catch up I would take 32 Credit hours a trimester and go all year round. (6am-10pm 4 days a week, with maybe 3 or so hours gap, plus then work part time 25 hours a week) I remember spending most of winter curled up in a sleeping bag in my car watching Ranma1/2 until the next class started (it was 50 miles from home, so there was no where to go until my day ended);
After school, I had a short run in the work force before I was 'down sized'; after which I couldn't find a job and was living my parents basement. This is the time where I would watch a ton of anime.
Luckily I had supportive parents who told me to just leave and see what is out there. Life isn't restricted to your home town.
So with a small budget I went on a cross country road trip to all of the anime hot sports.
Funimation in Texas, Pioneer Entertainment in LA, VIZ in San Fransico and some place called Microsoft in Washington (doesn't count but it was still part of the 10000 mile journey)..... I tried for jobs at all of them, but no go.
About a month later I got a phone call for an IT job; which I got. I impressed them enough that eventually I got called out to Cali, which I live and work now.
In all of this story, anime was always there. There is just so much of it that even after 13 years of watching, over 1000 series, that I still don't tire of it. When I need a laugh, there is always some RoCo, when I need inspiration there are sports titles, when I need intellectual stimulation there is scfi and historical pieces and when I just need mindless entertainment while I run on a treadmill, well there is that too (thanks one piece!); Even when moving 5000 miles from home to a place where I knew no one, I knew that anime could see me through.

So while I don't have a inspirational story about it motivating me to become something better, or getting me through hard times. I do have a story of something that has persisted there through half my life and I can only believe that I am better for it.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
Haibane Renmei gave me me good insight that if you have a problem, don't bear it on your own. Don't be hesitant to ask someone else for help. It was a fantastic series that helped me through tougher times.

Welcome to the NHK is another series that gave me very valuable lesson of danger in addiction. And it also made me realise nothing comes for free.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
I will always thank shows like Aria for pulling me through some rough patches in my life through the years it aired on. I don't have friends, but Aria made me feel like I had some. Made me feel a bit less alone in the world. And that could have made a difference between me dead or me being alive right now.
LinkSword

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
The part the Jinbei quote comes from was one of the few actual tear-jerkers for me in manga/anime, period. Such a good one. I'd definitely count One Piece as a story that affects me positively.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
I really hope you mis-spoke about not having friends Shippoyasha. If not, please know that you are not alone and if you keep puting yourself where you can interact with people (even fan forums?) you will find friends.

I'll join the "true confessions" here and say that Gigantor taught me to dream big, Astro Boy taught me the improtance of trying hard to reach goals, Kimba (the white lion) taught me that virtue and compassion and opening up to friends are what make a true leader, the sort of person I wanted to be. Little Norse Prince touched me in painful loneliness and gave me hope that I might find a place where I belonged. I laughed a lot with Project A-ko, felt a little "pervy" with FLCL, identified with Spike's and Jet's regrets in Cowboy Bebop, adored Tachikomas and was reminded of love for my wife in similarities with the girls in Dual!, Eureka 7, Kannon, Air and Clannad. I have a good relationship with my teen daughter in part because we both enjoy and relate to the richness of stories found in anime. And I love the kinship I feel with you all here because you have had these stories touch you as they have done me. "Otaku" forever...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
Like many, I got into anime during a tough period of my life. My parents had just recently separated, my best friend changed schools, we didn't have any money, I didn't have any friends in my class -around that time the other kids decided I had cooties or something, they called it a "virus" and if I so much as stood near them they were infected or some shit like that-, my grandfather passed away and my father's alcoholism was getting worse by the day. Anime gave me a world to escape to when I couldn't deal with real life. I was a kid, so anime characters became my imaginary friends and my source of support when I was feeling down. And later on, I started making new friends thanks to it, to this date I still remain good friends with the guy from whom I borrowed CLAMP Manga in junior high.

Another positive influence was Sengoku Basara. It's the show that got me into Japanese History. I watched it shortly before I started college and once classes started I took a course on Japanese History, which in turn gave me the opportunity to apply for an exchange programme and live in Japan for half a year, and it was a life-changing experience.

The negative part is that, if I go without watching any anime for, say, a week, I start getting antsy and cranky and stressed, which makes finals week even worse than it already is
CrimsonTopaz

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:40 am Reply with quote
For me a tough day and negative feelings are easily quelled by Master Keaton. Watching Keaton is like receiving a nice hug from someone, makes you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside and the soundtrack is my ultimate pick-me-up.

Downside of watching anime for me personally, is sometimes the stories are so moving, so beautiful, that I get a little to invested in the characters well-being, but I suppose that's normal Wink
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
"Touch" and "Cross Game" are my exercise motivation anime. I'll rewatch one or the other periodically, rewarding myself with an episode after a run.

"Wolf Children" left me thinking about my own mother, and helped me appreciate even more all she did for me growing up.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
As a child, Naruto was a big part of my life. DBZ ended its run on Toonami and I needed something else to watch. Naruto was much more relatable to me than any DBZ character. Like Naruto, I struggled with a lot of things, was always the class clown trying to get attention, and was never born with any natural talent. So watching Naruto gave me hope.

jppcouto wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Fairy Tail also helped me out. My brother was in a coma from a disease that the doctors weren't sure how to handle, and I had to take the bar exam, so I just needed something that was relentlessly optimistic.

Dude, i can understand what are you saying and hope your brother is okay now, but Fairy Tail isn't positive neither negative, because the series only show that FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC AND IT WINS EVERYTIME and you can't feel that there is real problems in that show.

However, I'm glad that something give u strenght in that part of your life.

I think it's pretty inappropriate to complain about your problems with Fairy Tail when this is a thread about personal feelings each individual has to a specific anime. Especially if that anime helped the person during a difficult time through their lives.

Well, Fairy Tail haters were never classy to begin with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4