• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Funi wants to fight fansubs, so why not actually have Gangsta officially streamed now? Oh, it's because they likely are still negotiating that.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
It isn't the first time that one of FUNimation's "simulcasts" starts its run a few hours/a day late. Once the show in up, the rest of the run is pretty much indeed simulcasted, but that first episode get delayed quite often.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
DuckBait wrote:
sherlock holmes with a 14 year old kid
I had high hopes for this show

Would point out that Sherlock Holmes was assisted in a few novels by a posse of street urchins called the Baker Street Irregulars, who would have been Kobayashi's age or even younger.

Hence I don't see what the cause for concern is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Rampo Kitan: Game of Laplace: 3 / 5. It was fine, it looks entertaining, althought the directing style is weird comparing it with its most similar one, Dangan Ronpa (by the same director, yes). The latter had a style that totally embraced that it was a videogame, so much that it was directly merchandising of it and that was painfully distracting. This one however shares a lot and I first thought it was another adapted mistery game, but no, so I don't quite know what to think of it. At least there's a self-awareness that such a hardcore mistery premise needs.

The story's fine, the setting the same and the misteries could be fun. I thought Dangan Ronpa sucked in its misteries in part because they were "videogame" misteries, which work because they are made to be resolved by the player and just that fact is rewarding by itself; but when you do an anime about it, you are not playing, you are a viewer with different expectations and seeing them resolved with cheap logic and unsurprising takes was so underwhelming. Here it's meant to be an anime (or novel, but not videogame), so this will be more planned-out.
I guess the other thing is I'm not quite sure how the show is taking its main character, as a weird quirky but emphatizable kid, or a creepy unsettling distant one. I felt totally the latter, but I'm not sure if the show did. We'll see.

Also: Nice post Theron about its similarities with the late author's works, did you read them? It would be interesting if you cover the episodes' reviews

Edit: I love how, if you watch the pictures of the reviews in order, they practically show step by step the scene of the show.

Last edited by justsomeaccount on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Well, for people like us who aren't in USA or Canada we have no choice but use them if it's Funimation (and sometimes with some shows with Crunchyroll that are not in certain countries, but at least they still offer some of them). Either way I'll wait to comment here about those shows until they're in the preview guide to talk about them at the same time.

i have to say this...fansub is not just for those people outside of the NA region

i think ANN is sponsored by Funimation or something ?? so that's all i'll say

as for some shows available in one area but not the other

it's true. i was talking with a friend from Canada back then. I provided the link for Valkyria Chronicles on Crackle ( available for free here) but he can't see it on his side
http://www.crackle.com/c/valkyria-chronicles

but i'm sure there's way around it

think about it what do the Chinese users use? since a lot of stuffs are blocked in that communist country Confused

i'm sure there's way around it
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

think about it what do the Chinese users use? since a lot of stuffs are blocked in that communist country Confused

I'm not sure about in China, but I've known a number of Americans overseas who have use VPNs to get around blocks. There are other programs that will disguise your ISP but they're also often full of adware/spyware/etc. and can be a pain to get off your computer, so tread carefully. Video streaming services don't care for them since they screw up their advertising data, but it's arguably the lesser evils (unless you're very good at just using your fansubs as previews for purchase and deleting them after viewing).

But that's all off-topic. Back to the thread: I'm not particularly psyched about any shows from previews - I might be fore Gatchaman Crowds insight but I've yet to actually see the first season in full, just the first TV-run that had to skip an episode's worth of content because of delays. Does anyone know how to watch the director's cut, preferably legally?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Also: Nice post Theron about its similarities with the late author's works, did you read them? It would be interesting if you cover the episodes' reviews

Nah, I just got really into researching the background once I realized who the person being honored at the beginning of the episode was.

Hmmm, Crunchyroll seems to be down at the moment. An ominous sign.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Might be a coincidence, but several sites, mostly Cloudflare-related, have been showing 520s (techdirt, crunchy, ANN too). Most of them have come back, atm Crunchy is still down...
Edit; Crunchy working again, at least for now.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Video streaming services don't care for them since they screw up their advertising data, but it's arguably the lesser evils (unless you're very good at just using your fansubs as previews for purchase and deleting them after viewing).

it's 2015 after all.. the digital age.. you can get pretty much everything via streaming..so nothing to delete

most old anime series/movies are available on youtube. Just saw vampire hunter D again after seeing that article.

ANYWAY, yeah let's get back on topic

there are other series i'm interested in for the Summer 2015.. but they are not available yet..

maybe i'll give Snow white, Gate, Ranpo and Gatchaman a try.

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

It was giving me trouble for 10~15 minutes, but it seems to be working again now. *knocks on wood*

Honestly, until seeing your post I thought it might be my own connection - I was having a little trouble loading ANN too.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
No problem with Crunchyroll on my end. Just saw first episode of GATE. I am a happy camper. First anime of the season bookmarked for me. Off to a good start. Nice OP as well. ED could be a tad better. But overall a good first episode.

Now onto Classroom Crisis.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Seems symphogear will have the best first episode, as expected of Sateligth. How is it even possible to top this? What happened can't even be put in proper words.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
it's 2015 after all.. the digital age.. you can get pretty much everything via streaming..so nothing to delete

most old anime series/movies are available on youtube. Just saw vampire hunter D again after seeing that article.

Yeah, but a lot of those streaming sites make advertising revenue, and I don't believe in financially rewarding piracy, so yeah, at the end of the day I prefer to download-delete myself.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
So disappointed with Gate they dragged out less than half a chapter for the first episode while cutting out all the violence and most of the politics for otaku nonsense.

I do not understand censorship in Japan that series like Attack on Titan and Another can be filled with violence yet in others they cut it all out when all the shows at aired at night.

Also why call this a remake of Outbreak company when the source material for Gate is nearly 2 years older?
Daerian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Gate talk has different forum topic, I think this is not policy on Anime Previews?
Edit: Seems it was repaired while I was writing messages about it Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 48