• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Noragami BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
So where does all the angst and resentment and sour emotions in Yukine come from? From the description of the manga it just sprang into life from his supposedly "pure" spirit. In the anime version it took time to develop which sounds more natural to me.

He does immediately show around as a kind of asshole-y kid but it escalates. Yato's homeless situation clearly doesn't help, the kid was pretty much starving and cold all the time (though he can't exactly die from those).
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
SHD wrote:
Yeah, I think the whole Yukine situation wasn't really thought out in either version...

I didn't read the source material so all I have to go on is what was written above. But it seems to me that version has even a bigger flaw in that Yukine was maladjusted from the start of his incarnation. I had thought that Yato could only form a new regalia from something like a "pure" spirit which was untainted by the wayward emotions of the phantoms. So the Yukine-spirit was just floating there like a snowflake next to the vending machine and Yato immediately dropped what he was doing to utilize it.

So where does all the angst and resentment and sour emotions in Yukine come from? From the description of the manga it just sprang into life from his supposedly "pure" spirit. In the anime version it took time to develop which sounds more natural to me.

Well, it's the spirit world so who knows.

I don't know, I didn't get that impression about spirits and shinki... To me Yukine seemed to have been somewhat maladjusted from the start even in the anime: his initial grouchiness and understandable confusion aside, from the few glimpses we got into Yukine's past as a human he seems to have been neglected (at the very least), which would explain his personality and his issues, even if he doesn't quite remember his life anymore. So he already starts out with a baggage like that, and then suddenly he's forced into a quite frankly impossible situation: he's expected to face the fact that he's dead, he's suddenly expected to be OK with living on the street, and to perform as a weapon for his master, a deity, who basically continues to neglect him and is unable and, it seems to Yukine, unwilling to connect to him on any level. The only one trying to connect to him is Hiyori, but of course Yukine can't appreciate that because Hiyori just reminds him of everything he isn't and everything he can't have. So he starts doing bad things which leads to yadda yadda.

To me it appears that the anime seemed to understand this and yet even so it kept pushing the blame on Yukine only instead of Yato; and from the description above the manga doesn't even seem to understand that a troubled teen who is struggling with very understandable issues is not necessarily a bad person that needs to be disciplined by being put through hell.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Really now guys? you're bothered by how Yukine is acting?! Of course Yato doesn't know what to do. He's a God and he can see his Shinki's past and can sense their desire and emotions...HE CANT do anything about it! What is so wrong for Yukine to figuring it out whats wrong with him? Did you guys forget about the "GOD'S GREATEST SECRET"??? You should already know by now why he's acting that way...Being the GOD OF WAR ain't easy and getting looked down on...thats why Yato is trying to change! He just wants a freaken Shrine!!! Just look wut happened to Rabu...no one likes the God of Calamity/War nor wants to remember them..
mandisaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:
SHD wrote:
Yeah, I think the whole Yukine situation wasn't really thought out in either version...

I didn't read the source material so all I have to go on is what was written above. But it seems to me that version has even a bigger flaw in that Yukine was maladjusted from the start of his incarnation. [ ... ]

Well, it's the spirit world so who knows.

I don't know, I didn't get that impression about spirits and shinki... To me Yukine seemed to have been somewhat maladjusted from the start even in the anime [ ... ]

To me it appears that the anime seemed to understand this and yet even so it kept pushing the blame on Yukine only instead of Yato; and from the description above the manga doesn't even seem to understand that a troubled teen who is struggling with very understandable issues is not necessarily a bad person that needs to be disciplined by being put through hell.

I think you guys might have the whole mentor/guardian god & shinki relationship turned around. It's a minor manga spoiler, but central to the series premise is that the shinki are the moral guardians of the gods. Regardless of their vast age, the gods really don't know good from evil, and tend to lack empathy and compassion in the conventional, human sense.

Acting in their own self-interest is pretty much standard operating procedure. Putting themselves at risk for other gods, let alone for shinki (nevermind humans) is considered about as ridiculous as driving off a cliff to avoid hitting an insect (or maybe a small animal, in the case of a truly dedicated shinki). Of the four gods shown in the anime, Yato and spoiler[Bishamon] feel very differently about it, but as you've seen, there are dire consequences to bucking the "natural order".

We (the audience) might see the events as "Yato could've done X", or "Yato should've known better, because REASONS". But he really has no clue - he's very old, but for various reasons, he's pretty broken himself and not even as clueful as other gods about how a healthy god-shinki relationship works. Think of it more like one addict deciding to try to help himself and a buddy get clean, where neither one has much clue as to how to go about it.

Without spoiling anything else, it's hard to discuss Yukine's character arc in detail. But I will say that having gone from watching the anime to reading the manga, and seeing Yukine presented as more of a dick than as a broken bird, his Arc 1 redemption/ablution and eventual spoiler[absolute devotion to Yato] are much more rewarding. Many readers were ready to crucify manga!Yukine, and now rather than a victim or lowlife punk, he's a paragon of awesome. The first 5? volumes are out in English, and that early arc is covered in the first 1.5-ish volumes - easy enough to read and compare.

EDIT: Even in the manga it's not 100% clear how much a shinki's personality/affect is based on their human life, but I personally think it's a bit like certain kinds of amnesia/stroke/brain trauma. Details and events are fuzzy or absent, but the core of who you are remains true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3