• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manglobe Anime Studio Files for Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:22 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Does this mean no second season for GANGSTA.?? =(

I'm still holding out for the chance that another company will make the second season. Sad
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
A lot of people that hear something like this likely will think it was because of piracy but they might overlook the fact that business decisions also have a factor.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
It's just amazing to me that a studio like Manglobe that may not have had many blockbuster hits but still produced a few interesting shows can go under yet Toei Animation can make big bucks with their recent track record.

Toei is a goliath of the industry that together with Sunrise makes the lion's share of kids anime. So long as there are kids and toys to sell them, Toei will be making money.

Manglobe subsisted on the otaku market, where their art-house style original offerings flopped like a marlin on a ship-deck and their licensed titles are almost universally hated by the fans of the original properties. There's only so many times Shogakuken is going to pay you to animate their manga when the feedback about your work they get from their readers is overwhelmingly negative.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
noobster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
Should have done my homework when they skipped 7 arcs of TWGOK, didn't follow the manga of Hayate no Gotoku!, and the sudden inta shit of Gangsta.

EDIT: didn't follow the manga of Hayate no Gotoku! since they took over from J.C. Staff.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
A major problem of the current anime industry is the fact that they make too much anime. The number of buying otaku is more or less constant so the more anime you make, especially anime that is very similar, the thinner you spread the earnings between them. Instead of 4 shows making a profit you have 10 shows not even coming close. When resources are fixed and quite limited, you should focus one few shows. Each studio should only make one show a season, or studios should merge. Add to the that the low staff numbers and you have a perfect storm. Also, making anime you KNOW won't sell in Japan, like Gangsta, is literally asking for it.

You've failed to notice the fact that so many other people make. We consume Anime differently now, you can check every single one that came out this year. In the past you only saw what was being released by publishers. There are many shows and films that never made it over, most are unknowns, which you are unlikely to get a Wikipedia page on. On top of that you are also forgetting how many shows have failed in Japan in the past.

In regards to gangsta. there was no reason not to make it, the Manga is selling well, so they adapt part of the Manga, if it sells well, they animate more.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
Damn...TWGOK is one of my favorite more recent anime :/ (Maybe I'm biased since I'm a hardcore otome player, but meh) Always sad to see a studio go. Guess that means no hope at a season 2 for Karneval either...(not that I thought it would get one, but was still hoping...)
Olaole

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
Not mentioning Michiko to Hatchin, Ergo Proxy and House of Five Leaves in the news again? :/

It really seems people lack respect for anime that are outside of the norm these days.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
It's unfortunate for the company and most of all for the employees who, at the very least, have an uncertain employment future.

You look at Manglobe's body of work and you see what I've long tried to explain to folks: you can't just do "original" or "unique" or "out of the ordinary" stuff all the time and be successful. More often than not that stuff may be structurally, critically a hit, but they tend to end up niche products that don't sell. Manglobe's library is full with more of the unique experimental stuff than the certain income variety. Michiko, House of Five Leaves, Samurai Flamenco, Gangsta, are all anime that are decent in their own right, but they're too far out of the ordinary for most folks to really get into and latch onto. Many of their manga adaptations are of series that are good or at least sell fairly decent on their own, but the only one I can think of in the last 5 or so years that was a "wow, that manga's doing great, it needs and anime" was The World God Only Knows.

It's not that these anime shouldn't have been made. The only ones I haven't watched are about half of Samurai Flamenco and any of Gangsta. Like the others. But as a single studio, you can't cram so many experiments and unconventional works into such a narrow time frame unless you have a lot of the conventional money-grabbers, or this is the result.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
Sad day indeed. But I will be honest, their business model was really questionable for quite some time, it's surprising they've lasted this long without hit shows. It's unfortunate, but not surprising in retrospect.

If anything, this should be a really good wake-up call to many other animation studios in Japan. Not gonna get into details here, but far too much anime is being made yearly, sales can't keep up. And far too many studios are producing shows that nobody really cares about (most importantly high volumes of these similar "nobody-watches-this" anime).

I know if I was involved with management of an anime studio in Japan (even if big and well known, and especially if a small one), I would hold a meeting today and really re-evaluate the business model going into 2016. I have a feeling more similar stories are to come in the coming years.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Like I posted yesterday, this sucks for the employees. But I will not miss a studio that was regularly producing garbage.

And why do some people keep saying that Samurai Flamenco is a great anime? Its first 5-6 episodes were genuinely interesting, but after that it became unwatchable shit because the producers did not have a clue about what to do.

SAMURAI FLAMENCO IS NOT A GOOD ANIME.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Another side note, since it seems to be an idea people are coming up with. You are not going to see any studios deliberately decreasing the number of shows they're making on a yearly basis. This story here is how the number drops - studios go out of business. You're going to have the same studios trying to push out as much as they can, betting that their portfolio of shows beats out the rest. The studios that make money will make money, and the ones that don't will end up like Manglobe and others. The reason remains the same; these studios don't know for cure what will be a hit and what won't, only likelihoods. Shrinking their output means they have to bet that the smaller number of stuff they make is a real hit, which is no guarantee at all. That's why they started going for volume over margin in the first place.

The only way any other studio is going to decrease their own output is if they determine that within their own studio and their own financial situation, they simply can't keep going at their existing pace. That's basically how most businesses work - volume over margin until you push out other competition or you're forced to pull back. Again, it stinks for the studio that ends up pushed out, but that is the essence of the capitalist model.
noobster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Olaole wrote:
Not mentioning Michiko to Hatchin, Ergo Proxy and House of Five Leaves in the news again? :/

It really seems people lack respect for anime that are outside of the norm these days.

Because industry now a days is full of garbage moeshit. Ergo Proxy was a masterpiece.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
noobster wrote:
Ergo Proxy was a masterpiece.

More like it was overambitious incoherent mess. I doubt Dai Sato himself understood what the hell he wanted to write. That game show episode was a perfect metaphor for the whole show, it tried to be deep, it dropped philosophical references left and right but in the end all we get was an average piece of dystopian fiction which never realized its true potential.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
They haven't produced an interesting work since, well, Samurai Champloo (Ergo Proxy was a collection of ideas rather than the whole picture) and I think none of their work has been profitable. Still, that's pretty impressive how studio existed for more than 10 years without a single financial hit.

I personally thought Ergo Proxy was a lot better than Samurai Champloo. Smile
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Had Manglobe produced more anime shows that had a greater chance of being successful (yes, I'm referring to the "moe" shows, more or less...), they would've made enough profit to stay afloat for another show. Their "experimental, extraordinary" shows that made up most of their library just weren't interesting enough to most people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5